* Table generation fails from Markdown-> PDF
@ 2018-09-20 22:36 Fredrik Meyer
       [not found] ` <bee8001d-20ff-4891-8119-3b792fc52e37-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Fredrik Meyer @ 2018-09-20 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I'm trying to write a table in Markdown and generate a PDF output. I use
the following command to compile:

pandoc oblig1.md --pdf-engine=xelatex -N -o oblig1.pdf

I found an example table on the internet:

| Tables        | Are             | Cool   |
| ------------- | :-------------: | -----: |
| col 3 is      | right-aligned   | $1600  |
| col 2 is      | centered        | $12    |
| zebra stripes | are neat        | $1     |

This got generated perfectly as a table in the PDF output. But when I tried
myself, it got rendered as pure text.
| 0 | 1 | 2 |
| 2 | 0 | 0 |
| 3 | 0 | 0 |

I fail to see any difference in syntax between these two examples, yet
somehow they are parsed differently.

What am I doing wrong?:) Thanks.

* Re: Table generation fails from Markdown-> PDF
       [not found] ` <bee8001d-20ff-4891-8119-3b792fc52e37-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2018-09-20 22:42   ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2018-09-20 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Fri, Sep 21 2018, Fredrik Meyer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to write a table in Markdown and generate a PDF
> output. I use the
> following command to compile:
>
> pandoc oblig1.md --pdf-engine=xelatex -N -o oblig1.pdf
>
> I found an example table on the internet:
>
> | Tables        | Are             | Cool   |
> | ------------- | :-------------: | -----: |
> | col 3 is      | right-aligned   | $1600  |
> | col 2 is      | centered        | $12    |
> | zebra stripes | are neat        | $1     |
>
> This got generated perfectly as a table in the PDF output. But
> when I tried myself, it
> got rendered as pure text.
> | 0 | 1 | 2 |
> | 2 | 0 | 0 |
> | 3 | 0 | 0 |
>
> I fail to see any difference in syntax between these two
> examples, yet somehow they
> are parsed differently.
>
> What am I doing wrong?:) Thanks.

Your table doesn't have a header line, which seem to be needed for
Pandoc to recognize it as a table. The header line can be empty,
though:

|   |   |   |
|---+---+---|
| 0 | 1 | 2 |