* Problem with markdown multiline tables and multiple lines in first column.
@ 2017-12-14 10:56 Robert Zenz
       [not found] ` <5A3258EC.8010607-q1xk7osDwJUWQnjQ7V0W7w@public.gmane.org>
From: Robert Zenz @ 2017-12-14 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I have a little problem with markdown multiline tables with which I want to have
multiple lines in the first column. For some reason the table is not recognized
when there are more than two lines in the first column, for example the
following does not work for me:

    ----------------
    ColumnA  ColumnB
    -------- -------
    First    Line1\
             Line2\
             Line3

    Second1\
    Second2\
    Second3  Value
    ----------------

It just produces text and only the header is recognized as table. If I remove
for example the second line in the second row, the table appears as it should.
I'm using Pandoc 2.0.5, converting from Markdown to HTML.

Does somebody have an idea what I'm doing wrong here?

* Re: Problem with markdown multiline tables and multiple lines in first column.
       [not found] ` <5A3258EC.8010607-q1xk7osDwJUWQnjQ7V0W7w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-12-14 20:24   ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2017-12-14 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Try putting "Value" in the same line with "Second1"
(i.e. top-align the cell).

In multiline tables, you can't have block-level content,
and I think what's going on here is that the opening
blank lines get parsed as an empty block.

+++ Robert Zenz [Dec 14 17 10:56 ]:

@ 2017-12-15  8:52     ` Robert Zenz
From: Robert Zenz @ 2017-12-15  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thank you very much, that did the trick.

I somehow assumed that `\` would be line terminating (also I could swear that I
tried that, but must have screwed that try up).

For the log, the working example looks like this:

    ColumnA  ColumnB
    First    Line1\
             Line2\
             Line3