From: Devin Prater <r.d.t.prater-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
Subject: Re: Accessibility of Generated Docx
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2019 18:15:04 -0500	[thread overview]

As a blind user, I find that mostly everything reads well for screen reader users, even headings, and definition lists—at least on Pages for Mac— are read well. If you make a table like this, I believe screen readers well read it a bit better:

| number | day |
|——|——|
| 1 | Sunday |
| 2 | Monday |
| 3 | Wednesday |

Note that I use Org-mode, so Markdown’s table creation make need to look different. The main thing is, give table columns a title, any way you can, and screen readers will try to read the title before the row’s content, like “Number, 1, row 2 column 1. Day, Sunday, Row 2 column 2.” This helps a lot with following tables, because screen readers always read content in a linear fashion.

Also note that I’m a simpleton, using Org to create well marked up documents, and exporting to HTML either using Markdown or Org’s own exporter.

The “compatibility mode” thing in Word is probably because it sees that Word didn’t make the file, so it does compatibility mode to, probably, make its interpretation of the file more relaxed, to accommodate any errors in Pandoc’s form of DOCX.