* locale/lang seems to be ignored, locators not translated to German
@ 2016-01-28 22:10 Martin Hähnel
       [not found] ` <fa66365e-ad41-4bc0-853b-02306a89201e-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Martin Hähnel @ 2016-01-28 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Dear all

I have a problem with getting pandoc/pandoc-citeproc to honor my locale
settings: Neither the »default-locale="de-DE" « in my .csl (I even tried
several csl files), nor using »lang: de« (or de-DE for that matter) in yaml
frontmatter of my source file and not even setting the locale by including
it with my pandoc command seems to do the trick. What I do get, is always
the same: the locator reads as »p.«.

This is part of the source file:

[…]wie Derrida hier in Politik der Freundschaft schreibt [@derrida2007, p. 465f.].

and the same part in the produced HTML:

I’m using pandoc 1.16.0.2 (from homebrew) and my .csl is »Chicago Manual of
Style 16th edition (author-date, German)« (direct link from the Zotero
Style Repository <https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=german>:
https://www.zotero.org/styles/chicago-author-date-de). I’m on OSX 10.11.3.

Any help is appreciated.

-Martin
​

* Re: locale/lang seems to be ignored, locators not translated to German
       [not found] ` <fa66365e-ad41-4bc0-853b-02306a89201e-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-01-28 23:01   ` John MACFARLANE
       [not found]     ` <20160128230121.GA36214-nFAEphtLEs/fysO+viCLMa55KtNWUUjk@public.gmane.org>
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2016-01-28 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

lang: de-DE

in your YAML front matter should work.

Have you tried: [@derrida2007, S. 465f]?

When you're using a non-English locale, it also affects the
parsing of locators.  'p.' is an English abbreviation.

+++ Martin Hähnel [Jan 28 16 14:10 ]:

@ 2016-01-28 23:09       ` Martin Hähnel
From: Martin Hähnel @ 2016-01-28 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Your suggestion to use the German abbreviation did the trick. Thank you!
May I suggest adding some kind of hint for that kind of behaviour to the
user's guide? (Almost) everything in there works as expected for my German
use case, this one did not.

-Martin

@ 2019-07-11 16:18       ` Carsten Gips
       [not found]         ` <27e50739-f50b-4b70-a984-1117215d82bf-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Carsten Gips @ 2019-07-11 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Having a similar issue:
... @Bloch2018 [Seite 111] und [@Bloch2018, Seite 111] oder [-@Bloch2018, S.
111] ...
and using `pandoc book.md -o book.pdf --filter=pandoc-citeproc` gives me
`Bloch (2018, 111) und (Bloch 2018, 111) oder (2018, 111)`, i.e. the
locator term is missing. Its the same whether using `lang: de-DE` in the
yaml header or just `-V lang=de-DE` on the command line.

Using pandoc 2.7.3 and pandoc-citeproc 0.16.2 (latest binaries from Github)
on Debian.

Any help is appreciated.
Carsten.

@ 2019-07-11 21:14           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <m2pnmg6zpi.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-07-11 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Gips, pandoc-discuss

Are you sure the CSL you're using calls for a locator in this
case? Some styles don't use one for 'page'.  Try with
other locator styles -- e.g. chapter -- to see what the output
is.

@ 2019-07-13 14:21               ` Carsten Gips
       [not found]                 ` <f7225d0e-2e1b-4756-8cbe-f02a8adb8b74-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Carsten Gips @ 2019-07-13 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I'm using the default (embedded) CSL, i.e. chicago-author-date.csl. In
fact, "chapter" (or "Kapitel" for de-DE) works as expected. Thanks for this
hint.

However, while reading the original post I had expected, that you could use
also "page" (or "Seite" for de-DE) as well. But even using the CSL the
original poster used (chicago-author-date-de.csl) "page"/"Seite" does not
work for me. I'm probably missing something?

@ 2019-07-14  1:30                   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                     ` <m27e8lbdxa.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-07-14  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Gips, pandoc-discuss

I think there's code in that style that omits the locator label
if it's "page", at least in certain kinds of references.
If you try with another style and the same input, you may
see the 'S.' label.

@ 2019-07-14 12:50                       ` Carsten Gips
       [not found]                         ` <ea44582b-23ad-4e29-b2fe-9ced7c841979-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Carsten Gips @ 2019-07-14 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)