* GitHub Pandoc Release' filename for `.deb` occasionally breaks the pattern of `-1-amd64.deb`
@ 2016-11-13 23:30 Kolen Cheung
       [not found] ` <788928f7-3cd9-4edc-bcc4-c80e8a75a5df-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2016-11-13 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I’m currently experimenting with Travis CI build against *all* pandoc
versions. The script I use:

env:
  - pandocVersion=1.13.2
  - pandocVersion=1.14
  - pandocVersion=1.14.0.1
  - pandocVersion=1.14.1
  - pandocVersion=1.15
  - pandocVersion=1.15.0.5
  - pandocVersion=1.15.0.6
  - pandocVersion=1.15.1
  - pandocVersion=1.15.2
  - pandocVersion=1.16.0.1
  - pandocVersion=1.16.0.2
  - pandocVersion=1.17
  - pandocVersion=1.17.0.1
  - pandocVersion=1.17.0.2
  - pandocVersion=1.17.2
  - pandocVersion=1.18
before_install:
  - wget https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/releases/download/$pandocVersion/pandoc-$pandocVersion-1-amd64.deb &&
    sudo dpkg -i pandoc-$pandocVersion-1-amd64.deb

The key to make this possible is the pattern of the filename of the .deb
always end in -1-amd64.deb. There are a few instances that this is not
true, the newest version among them is pandoc-1.17.1-2-amd64.deb. (The
script above includes all pandoc versions that follows the pattern.)

To be clear, I am not suggesting we go back to fix the releases that has
been released. The purpose of this thread is only to

   1. see if this has been fixed already
   2. if not fixed, how to prevent this to happen in the future
   3. perhaps to be curious about why this would occur

Thanks.
​

* Re: GitHub Pandoc Release' filename for `.deb` occasionally breaks the pattern of `-1-amd64.deb`
       [not found] ` <788928f7-3cd9-4edc-bcc4-c80e8a75a5df-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-11-15 13:30   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20161115133045.GB4589-BKjuZOBx5Kn2N3qrpRCZGbhGAdq7xJNKhPhL2mjWHbk@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2016-11-15 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

It's not a problem that needs to be fixed.  The -2 suffix is
used instead of -1 when there was a prior, flawed -1 release
that needed to be fixed.

+++ Kolen Cheung [Nov 13 16 15:30 ]:

@ 2016-11-15 23:36       ` Kolen Cheung
       [not found]         ` <fb9b925e-638f-4ef3-8ecf-682e4cc3079a-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2016-11-15 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I see. But since it is a fix, it seems to me the last digit of the semantic versioning should be incremented instead.

And I also want to understand why the original -1 release needed to be fix. I am guessing they are generated by Travis and the -2 is some manual adjustment that make it work (while the one by Travis doesn't)?

Thnaks.

@ 2016-11-16  0:09           ` Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
       [not found]             ` <CA+u6gbxDy1ysuPN3wJa1JdKg6NUgemYLOinXGk_WL2d+GpYX4Q-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Ivan Lazar Miljenovic @ 2016-11-16  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

My guess is that there's a difference between a .deb package issue
that needs to be fixed and re-released, and an actual code issue (that
affects _all_ packages, Hackage releases, etc.) which would require a
semantic versioning increment.

On 16 November 2016 at 10:36, Kolen Cheung <christian.kolen-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I see. But since it is a fix, it seems to me the last digit of the semantic versioning should be incremented instead.
>
> And I also want to understand why the original -1 release needed to be fix. I am guessing they are generated by Travis and the -2 is some manual adjustment that make it work (while the one by Travis doesn't)?
>
> Thnaks.
>
> --

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
http://IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com

@ 2016-11-16  0:39               ` Kolen Cheung
       [not found]                 ` <e4d6fa41-dcca-41b3-b47e-b8057f5dfec4-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2016-11-16  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I understand that, and that's probably the reason of the existance of the last `-1` versioning. But that breaks the pattern to script it automatically. Again, the historical packages are not important, but let say there's a latest 18.1 released, then the latest .deb actually becomes 18.1-2... Then either I break the script pattern for the latest version (and what if I need to test against 17.2 and 18.1, where both of them ends with a different -1 -2?), or I hold back to not use the latest version (so I didn't test against a newer verion colleagues may be using).

So from the scripting perspective, it seems even if only one of the platform needs a bug fix, the last digit of *all* of them should be bumped up while keeping -1 appended. -1 is still needed because older version of pandoc has that pattern.

@ 2016-11-16  1:19                   ` Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
       [not found]                     ` <CA+u6gbx82+K45v2h6DR1eXoVyd1aY6QuY02MhkBeZYiuzigStw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Ivan Lazar Miljenovic @ 2016-11-16  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

But why should anyone using a packaging system other than .deb have
random version bumps just because someone didn't build a .deb
correctly (or needs to do an update due to system libraries, etc.)?

This may even be a Debian packaging requirement (I wouldn't know; the
closest I've had to dealing with Debian-derived distros is Ubuntu for
Travis-CI and Docker).

@ 2016-11-16  4:00       ` Kolen Cheung
       [not found]         ` <41de9a9f-b0ee-4b74-8673-1df335d611f7-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2016-11-16  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I have a related question: I am experimenting with speeding up the pandoc
travis build, so I try to understand more on how it is built.

I find that there’s make_travis_yml.hs and make .travis.yml command in the
makefile. But the result generated from make .travis.yml is very different
from the .travis.yml currently used. Is the current travis build hand-tuned
or using make_travis_yml.hs? In other words, if I want to make change to
.travis.yml (and potentially make pull request if there’s any speed boost),
where should I start? make_travis_yml.hs and makefile, or .travis.yml
directly?

Thanks.
​

@ 2016-11-16  4:03           ` Kolen Cheung
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2016-11-16  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

For example, looking at the History for .travis.yml - jgm/pandoc
<https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/commits/master/.travis.yml>, it seems @jgm
hand-tuned it.

(Sorry to split it into 2 emails. I should have mentioned it together.)

​

@ 2016-11-16 11:25           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2016-11-16 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Kolen Cheung [Nov 15 16 15:36 ]:
>I see. But since it is a fix, it seems to me the last digit of the semantic versioning should be incremented instead.

No, because the semantic versioning refers to the software.

In this case the software was exactly the same; all that
changed was the packaging.  (There had been a problem in
creating the deb originally, so I recreated the deb and
released with the -2 suffix.)

This really shouldn't be a big deal.  Your script just
needs a bit more intelligence.

@ 2016-11-16 11:26                       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                         ` <20161116112610.GD14421-BKjuZOBx5Kn2N3qrpRCZGbhGAdq7xJNKhPhL2mjWHbk@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2016-11-16 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Ivan Lazar Miljenovic [Nov 16 16 12:19 ]:
>But why should anyone using a packaging system other than .deb have
>random version bumps just because someone didn't build a .deb
>correctly (or needs to do an update due to system libraries, etc.)?
>
>This may even be a Debian packaging requirement (I wouldn't know; the
>closest I've had to dealing with Debian-derived distros is Ubuntu for
>Travis-CI and Docker).

Yes, debian always has this versioning on the package, which
is independent of the upstream version.

@ 2016-11-16 21:54   ` 'Jakob Voss' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]     ` <4bc27ca1-a2b5-490b-ac94-2e25a70c6b09-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: 'Jakob Voss' via pandoc-discuss @ 2016-11-16 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi Kolen,

> I’m currently experimenting with Travis CI build against *all* pandoc
versions. The script I use:

Interesting, I was also thinking how to best do this. Where can we find
your full script and repository?

Jakob

@ 2016-11-16 23:30                           ` Kolen Cheung
       [not found]                             ` <fe2ffb26-71af-4b01-97f1-406a47e5ba6d-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2016-11-16 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I see. I took your advice to change the scripting logic. I now understand
this is a non-issue.

But it seems it is still difficult to script for dual-OSes. I'm not
planning to do it now, but in principle I can setup a matrix that has 2 OS
version (macOS/Linux) then lists all available pandoc versions. In this
case if the macOS and Linux version differs (say, pandoc-1.17.1-2-amd64.deb
and pandoc-1.17.1-1-osx.pkg), it seems the only way to do it is either
taking away the benefits of "matrix expansion" (say, 2X10 builds rather
than 20), or write a loop that iterate the last digit until successful
download.

@ 2016-11-16 23:46       ` Kolen Cheung
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2016-11-16 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi, Jakob,

It initially started as a pull-request to panflute to test against
different pandoc versions. We finally decided to test against 1.17.2 and
1.18 only.

My latest version that runs through *all* available .deb from GitHub
release is in panflute/.travis.yml at pandoc-multi-version · ickc/panflute
<https://github.com/ickc/panflute/blob/pandoc-multi-version/.travis.yml>.
You can see the Travis job in Build #17 - ickc/panflute - Travis CI
<https://travis-ci.org/ickc/panflute/builds/176546777>.

It is very interesting to see this 7X18 = 126 builds (Python X pandoc
versions) running concurrently (actually Travis cap it to about 30~40 jobs
currently). But it will took about 1/2 to 1 hour to complete it (the number
from Travis is inaccurate, which is a known issue).

Personally I might do something like this in the “stable” branch that’s not
updated often. I think it is nice to have Travis checking that your filter
(or whatever other pandoc workflow) works for all those versions, or
knowing that a particular pandoc version is a trouble maker for debugging
purpose.

The final version submitted to panflute is in panflute/.travis.yml at
master · sergiocorreia/panflute
<https://github.com/sergiocorreia/panflute/blob/master/.travis.yml>, it
took below 3 minutes to finish the test: Build #31 - sergiocorreia/panflute
- Travis CI <https://travis-ci.org/sergiocorreia/panflute/builds/176527618>.
(one of the key to speed up is by allow_failure. It “finishes” the build
(green-light you to merge) without waiting for allow_failure.)

I might be writing an article in pandoc wiki about setting up Travis for
pandoc project. For example, after a lots of trial and error, I can compile
pandoc documents using Travis’s Linux/macOS build in about 2 minutes.
(including TeXLive, pandoc, pandocfilters, etc.) It is not as trivial as I
originally thought. Some naive settings will leads to ~10 minutes build
time. (timed by light document, so the time is bounded by setting up the
environment to build pandoc documents). Do you think an article like that
will be useful? There’s some stat in ickc/travis-ci-pandoc-latex-config
<https://github.com/ickc/travis-ci-pandoc-latex-config>.

Hi Kolen,

​

@ 2016-11-17 12:42                               ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                                 ` <20161117124212.GH21256-BKjuZOBx5Kn2N3qrpRCZGbhGAdq7xJNKhPhL2mjWHbk@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2016-11-17 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Why not have your script (or whatever constructs the matrix)
look at the releases page and just read off the name from
that?  All the information you need is there.

+++ Kolen Cheung [Nov 16 16 15:30 ]:

@ 2016-11-17 21:11                                   ` 'Jakob Voss' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]                                     ` <95109c2b-d91f-4939-9150-6c5c87a6c2e7-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: 'Jakob Voss' via pandoc-discuss @ 2016-11-17 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

John MacFarlane wrote:

Why not have your script (or whatever constructs the matrix)
> look at the releases page and just read off the name from
> that?  All the information you need is there.

It's a bit more complicated but no real issue. I just created this utility
script to download all releases and extract all pandoc binaries to use them
in parallel. I guess it's faster than Kolen's method (which has other
benefits) especially if you can cache the binaries folder:

https://github.com/nichtich/Pandoc-Elements/blob/cd44b41081254e5c8ad280ef39a11a8d5a8b3f22/xt/get-pandoc-releases.pl

Cheers
Jakob

@ 2016-11-17 22:11                                       ` Kolen Cheung
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2016-11-17 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I’m not sure caching the downloaded binaries will have any speed boost (or
even penalty). I read probably from the travis doc saying that downloaded
binaries shouldn’t be cached.

The reason is the cached is archived and uploaded to Amazon’s S3. And
GitHub releases are also served from Amazon’s S3. And their server probably
has a cache on popular packages as well. So at best the cache would only be
as fast as downloading from Amazon’s S3, at worst, if there’s a copy of the
pandoc version you are downloading in their server, it would be much slower
to grab from S3’s cache.

Cache gives speed boost especially when you build from source, that those
auxiliary files are cached rather than rebuild again. Downloading is faster
than building, so in that case cache would be great.

Another factor might be parallel downloads, cache from S3 probably is 1
(fast) thread only.

Depending on your need, if you need TeXLive, a tip is to use Ubuntu 12.04
container-based, language: R combination. (Language R is community driven
but not official). Because of the use of docker, the initializing time is
less than 2 minutes (and boot in a few seconds). For mac however, language:
generic and install everything yourself is faster than using language: R.
Weird.

Their mac performance is not great. The biggest bottleneck in pandoc’s
build time are from the 2 mac builds, and is slower than the hypothetical
limit of 1 core (mac build) vs. 2 core (linux build). I’m interested in
seeing how to cut down the pandoc build time. There’s a almost trivial
trick, but sadly the time gained is negligible of the the dozens minutes.

   - Caching Dependencies and Directories - Travis CI
   <https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/caching/#How-does-the-caching-work%3F>

​

@ 2016-11-21 10:39                                   ` Kolen Cheung
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2016-11-21 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

This is actually a nice trick: only through this trick can one point to the
arbitrary latest GitHub release without knowing the version!

@ 2016-11-26  0:42   ` Kolen Cheung
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2016-11-26  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss