* full width figures in twocolumn layout ? (markdown -> pdf)
@ 2021-03-26 12:33 Loïc Houpert
       [not found] ` <7fc54189-9347-4c3c-8dc9-252aa701bf14n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Loïc Houpert @ 2021-03-26 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi all,
I didn't find a way to easily display my figure in full width in a
two-column layout document.

I have a markdown document that I convert to pdf with the command below:

pandoc article.md \
--citeproc \
--from=markdown+tex_math_single_backslash+tex_math_dollars+raw_tex \
--to=latex \
--output=build/article-print-doublecols.pdf \
--pdf-engine=xelatex \
--include-in-header="layout/supertabular.tex" \
--filter="layout/twocolumns_table_fix.py" \
-M classoption=twocolumn
-M geometry="left=3cm,right=3cm,top=2cm,bottom=2cm"

Is there an "easy" way to do that so the figures in my pdf will be full
width while all the rest of the document stay in a twocolumns layout ?
(e,g. by adding a specific argument to this command ?)

I didn't find an easy solution to this problem....

Thank you,

Loïc

* Re: full width figures in twocolumn layout ? (markdown -> pdf)
       [not found] ` <7fc54189-9347-4c3c-8dc9-252aa701bf14n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-03-26 13:34   ` Julien Dutant
       [not found]     ` <1b33b1a0-c0f2-4ffe-aaf1-a9190b5c1a59n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Julien Dutant @ 2021-03-26 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

The columns filter might help: https://github.com/jdutant/columns . It will
typeset as full width anything wrap within a ::: columns-span DIV. It
doesn't have an option to automatically do that for every figure / table,
though you could write a small lua filter to add that. Notes:

- the column-span DIVs will only be processed if they are in a ::: columns
DIV. Solution: put the entire document in such a DIV (or :::
{.two-columns}, to be on the safe side)
- the filter will add "\usepackage{multicols}" to your header.

A small Lua filter to put tables in fulll width would like:

```lua
function Table (elem)
     return pandoc.Div( elem, {class = 'column-span' } )
end
```

Best,

@ 2021-03-26 14:49       ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2021-03-26 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi,

Thank you for sharing your filter, which is really great. I noticed one problem though: LaTeX always places on top of the page full-width figures in a multicolumn environment. It means that the stream will be broken after the figure, as this document will show:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{multicol}
\usepackage{lipsum}

\begin{document}

\begin{multicols}{2}
\lipsum[1-7]
\end{multicols}

\begin{figure}
\begin{quote}
\lipsum[8]
\end{quote}
\end{figure}

\begin{multicols}{2}
\lipsum[1-7]
\end{multicols}

\end{document}

If you only want to make all figures span the entire width in a two-column layout, you can simply add this in the metadata block of your document (without changing anything in the command-line):

header-includes: |
  \renewenvironment{figure}{\begin{figure*}}{\end{figure*}}

However, the limitation regarding the figures' placement will still apply.

Hoping that it helps,

Bastien

@ 2021-03-26 15:14         ` Julien Dutant
       [not found]           ` <2918620f-f3f3-471b-994e-74a85c9d1b29n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Julien Dutant @ 2021-03-26 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks Bastien,

Just to clarify: by "LaTeX always places on top of the page full-width
figures in a multicolumn environment" you mean that the figure is floated
and placed on top of a page, right? (as in the sample tex you give). Using
neither the filter (i.e. removing the \end{multicols} and
\begin{multicols}{2} that surround the figure) nor the \renenvironment
crashes (floats not allowed in multicols). But otherwise I don't see any
difference in output between (1) filter alone, (2) filter +
renewenvironnment, (3) renewenvironment alone, except that the float may
end up in a different page depending on details. I can see that using the
renewenvironment alone may be simpler for Loïc's purposes than loading the
filter and wrapping the whole doc in ::: columns div. But perhaps a more
general solution would be:

- to have a filter that handles float placement in LaTeX (per doc, per
figure basis).
- to make sure the columns filter handles column markup when the doc is in
two-columns mode, without the need for a wrapping div.
- possibly, to add float placement options in the columns filter?

I'll post the last two issues on the columns repo.

All best,

Julien

@ 2021-03-26 16:07             ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2021-03-26 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Sorry for not having been clear enough: there is no difference between (1) and (2). Both interrupt the text stream on the middle of p. 2, balance the text between the columns, insert a blank space, then restart a new two-columns stream. (3) with the "-M classoption=twocolumn" option would result in something similar to the output of the following document, which doesn't produce such interruption in the text stream:

\documentclass[twocolumn]{article}
\usepackage{lipsum}
\renewenvironment{figure}{\begin{figure*}}{\end{figure*}}

\begin{document}

\lipsum[1-6]

\begin{figure}
\begin{quote}
\lipsum[8]
\end{quote}
\end{figure}

\lipsum[1-6]

\end{document}

I don't know if there is a way to place full-width figures in the middle of a page in a multicolumn document (that is, make the "h" option work). In such cases, LaTeX defaults to top, the "p" option works if specified, and you can make the "b" option work with \usepackage{nidanfloat}. If I happen to find anything useful, I will let you know on your repository.
(See here a recent synthesis on the topic: https://www.texfaq.org/FAQ-2colfloat)

Best,

Bastien

@ 2021-03-26 16:53               ` Loïc Houpert
       [not found]                 ` <f5994909-e83c-445b-903b-61b0b5b9295an-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Loïc Houpert @ 2021-03-26 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thank you Julien and Bastien. I tried Bastien's solution : adding
```
\renewenvironment{figure}{\begin{figure*}}{\end{figure*}}
```

in a file include_header.tex that I am loading in pandoc with the option:
    --include-in-header=" include_header .tex" \

and it works perfectly fine :-)

Now I tried to do the same with the table
\renewenvironment{table}{\begin{table*}}{\end{table*}}

But it doesn't change anything.

Currently, in my "include_header.tex" file, I also have these lines of code
to fix the problem of table layout in twocolumns layout pdf:

*\usepackage{supertabular}*
*\newcommand\tcap{}*
*\renewenvironment{longtable}{\begin{center}\bottomcaption{\tcap}\begin{supertabular}}{\end{supertabular}\end{center}}*
*\renewcommand{\endhead}{}*

Is there an easy way to adapt it so my table are also full-width?

Thank you,

Loïc

@ 2021-03-26 17:38                   ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2021-03-26 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

\usepackage{supertabular}
\newcommand\tcap{}
\renewenvironment{longtable}{%
  \begin{onecolumn}
  \begin{center}
  \bottomcaption{\tcap}
  \begin{supertabular}%
  }{%
  \end{supertabular}
  \end{center}
  \end{onecolumn}
  \twocolumn{}% Otherwise it will not revert to two-columns layout.
  }
\renewcommand{\endhead}{}

However your text will resume at the page that begins after the end of your table, possibly leaving a huge blank space in-between.

@ 2021-03-26 18:11                     ` Loïc Houpert
From: Loïc Houpert @ 2021-03-26 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss