* Markdown to PDF... but Preface, Legal, Acknowledgments, how to?
@ 2018-06-24  0:34 ArtComm
       [not found] ` <8788117b-7fcf-46d7-a0db-d20e13eaf98d-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: ArtComm @ 2018-06-24  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

So far I am getting great results: the PDF's are coming out perfectly
formatted.

But the resulting pdf is lacking:

Legal
Acknowlegments
Preface
Introduction

In *Book* documents.

I am using the Xelatek engine and the original content is created in
Markdown.

But I need the above pages to be inserted *before* the TOC.

I can insert the pages by naming them as such and then marking them as not
being part of the chapter count, but they would be placed *after* the TOC,
which is *not* according to book structure tradition.

I have control over the yuml markdown inserted or to be inserted section.
But I need the sections to be recognized by the latex file.

Any suggestions?

* Re: Markdown to PDF... but Preface, Legal, Acknowledgments, how to?
       [not found] ` <8788117b-7fcf-46d7-a0db-d20e13eaf98d-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2018-06-24 11:14   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2018-06-24 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ArtComm, pandoc-discuss

Your best bet, if you're targeting only latex/pdf, is
to avoid using the --toc option, and instead insert
the requisite latex commands as raw tex in your
markdown document.

You should be able to use `\frontmatter`,
`\mainmatter`, and `\tableofcontents`, and
they will be passed through to the generated latex.

Something like:

\frontmatter

# Legal

blah blah

# Acknowledgements

thanks

# Preface

yaddah yaddah

# Introduction

blah

\tableofcontents

\mainmatter

# Chapter one

Try that.

@ 2018-06-24 20:29   ` ArtComm
       [not found]     ` <4e5f1ee3-0195-4f54-beb6-28d0012d9f24-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: ArtComm @ 2018-06-24 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks! It did work; partially, but it is working.

Perhaps I need to do something else in order to avoid one-page front matter
to be presented in lonely pages, since all chapters begin on odd pages.

I would like the front matter stuff to be all in 1 page and the next front
matter page should start at the next available page and not at the next odd
page.

Suggestions will be welcome.

The Table of Contents is properly generated and placed at the correct
place, with front matter pages indicated in Roman numbers. Nice.

Most books I have been checking place the TOC *before* some front matter
pages; but that does not make much sense.

@ 2018-06-24 22:43       ` ArtComm
From: ArtComm @ 2018-06-24 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss