* Cannot make EPUB with left aligned text.
@ 2019-05-29 18:17 CR
       [not found] ` <5d3c272e-5839-4a7a-a677-2e709d93707c-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: CR @ 2019-05-29 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Pandoc 2.7.2 on Windows 7. I recently updated Pandoc and this didn't used
to happen in an older version of Pandoc.

I used to be able to create EPUB files from Markdown and used my CSS to
make the text left-aligned using CSS "text-align: left;". Now Pandoc
doesn't seem to work, all my EPUB files are justified on both sides of the
paragraph even when I have CSS that says otherwise.

Here's my CSS in a file called style02.css:

/* HTML tags */
body {
    text-align: left !important;
}
div, li, p, span {
    text-align: left !important;
}

h1 {text-align:left;
   font-size:140%;
}
h2 {text-decoration:underline;
text-align:left;
font-size:125%;
font-style:italic;
}
h3 {text-align:left;
font-size:115%;
font-weight:bold;}

h4 {
text-align:left;
font-weight:normal;
font-style:italic;
font-size:100%;
}

blockquote > p {border-left:2px solid black;
background-color:#e0e0e0 !important; /* Grayish color */
margin:3pt 5pt 5pt 6pt; /* TOP RIGHT BOTTOM LEFT */
padding-left:8pt;
padding-top:none;
padding-bottom:none;
}

.caption {text-align:left;
}

code {background-color:#e0e0e0; /* Grayish color */
/*border:1px black solid;*/
text-decoration:none;
}

pre {background-color:#e0e0e0; /* Grayish color */
border:1px black solid;
text-decoration:none;
}

/* .Classes, usage: <p class="myclass"> */

I have attached all files you will need to create the EPUB. Rename the
`mkepub.bat.txt` to just `mkepub.bat`.

The only difference I see is in the body tag, using the Firefox Inspector,
the body tag has text-align of "text-align: justify !important". If this is
a default that Pandoc puts in, it should not use the "!important" clause.
My CSS file is supposed to override any formatting.

Also in the body tag of the XHTML files in the epub is this attribute:
`<body epub:type="bodymatter">`

I wonder if the "epub:type" is causing everything to be justified. Is there
a way to turn off the "epub:type" attribute when making an EPUB?

I want to use left align text because some of the bibliographies I use have
URLs, and the URLs tend to mess up the formatting in justified mode.

Thanks.

[-- Attachment #2: superscript.md --]
[-- Type: text/markdown, Size: 1279 bytes --]

---
title: Title Superscript poss causing problems
author: John Author
date: 2019-05-20
identifier:
- scheme: DOI
  text: doi:10.234234.234/33
- scheme: ISBN-10
  text: 1234567988
- scheme: ISBN-13
  text: 978-1112223334
---

# Chapter 1

This is a normal chapter.

This should be hidden in ch 1.

This is after ch1 hidden text.

This is the  hidden paragraph.

This is after the hidden p. Lorem ipsum dorem. Checking for paragraph alignement.
Lorem ipsum dorem. Checking for paragraph alignement.
Lorem ipsum dorem. Checking for paragraph alignement.
Lorem ipsum dorem. Checking for paragraph alignement.
Lorem ipsum dorem. Checking for paragraph alignement.
Lorem ipsum dorem. Checking for paragraph alignement.
Lorem ipsum dorem. Checking for paragraph alignement.

# Chapter 2

This is subscript: H~2~O

This is superscript: 10^5^

## I. Chapter

Now we add a footnote after the superscript.[^footnote]

This is superscript after calling out the footnote: 10^5^

## A Look At Human Memory

The human brain is estimated to be able to store
information in the quantity between 1x10^11^ (one hundred
trillion) and 2.8 x 10^20^ (280 quintillion) bits of
information.

[^footnote]: this is the footnote here.

[-- Attachment #3: style02.css --]
[-- Type: text/css, Size: 1579 bytes --]

/*
File: style02.css
background-color:COLOR
border:WIDTH TYPE COLOR; where TYPE=(none|hidden|dotted|dashed|solid|double|groove|ridge|inset|outset|inherit)
COLOR: see http://www.quackit.com/html/html_color_codes.cfm
text-decoration: (none|underline|line-through|overline|blink)
color:COLOR
font-family:font1,'font with spaces',serif,sans
font-size:12pt;
font-style:(normal|italic|oblique)
font-weight:(normal|bold|bolder|lighter|100|200|300|400|500|600|700|800|900)

margin:TOP BOTTOM; or
margin:ALL; or
margin:TOP RIGHT BOTTOM LEFT;

Some named colors: maroon, red, orange, yellow, olive, green purple, fuchsia,
See: http://www.quackit.com/css/properties/css_border-style.cfm
Test CSS: http://www.cssdesk.com/

*/

/* HTML tags */
body {
	text-align: left !important;
}
div, li, p, span {
	text-align: left !important;
}

h1 {text-align:left;
   font-size:140%;
}
[...]

[-- Attachment #4: mkepub.bat.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 358 bytes --]

@echo off
rem Make EPUB with Pandoc and Markdown files.
set outfile=herbal-culpepper-1653-test.epub
c:\chuck\ebook\pandoc\pandoc --from=markdown_mmd+backtick_code_blocks+yaml_metadata_block+line_blocks+auto_identifiers --epub-cover-image=images\cover.jpg --css=\pandocbooks\style01.css --to=epub -o %outfile% herbal-culpepper01.md

echo Done. See %outfile%.

* Re: Cannot make EPUB with left aligned text.
       [not found] ` <5d3c272e-5839-4a7a-a677-2e709d93707c-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-05-29 18:30   ` CR
       [not found]     ` <510e9cbb-dc00-4b2c-9b7e-79762d860eb1-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: CR @ 2019-05-29 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I have confirmed that Pandoc 2.2.1 only uses `<body>` without the
`epub:type` attribute.

I'm using Epubreader plugin for Firefox and I believe that uses the Adobe
Digital Editions to read the EPUB. I also confirmed that making an EPUB
with Pandoc 2.2.1 gives me the left aligned text I'd like.

@ 2019-05-29 19:44       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]         ` <yh480ktvddhwqf.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-05-29 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CR, pandoc-discuss

Why don't you try editing your pandoc 2.7.2-generated
epub and removing the epub:type attribute from the
body tag, to see if that makes the difference.

Alternatively, use a custom epub template and modify
the <body> tag so it doesn't include the epub:type,
then use this template when generating your epub.

We are not adding the justification style ourselves or
the 'important'; it must be your EPUB reader?

@ 2019-05-30 13:31           ` CR
From: CR @ 2019-05-30 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

It might not be my epub reader, the reader works fine if the EPUB is
generated with Pandoc v2.2.1 as there no attribute in the <body> tag. I
checked the XHTML inside 2 different versions of the EPUB. So the issue
seems to be Pandoc v2.7.2.

Where can I get info on making an EPUB template? Is the EPUB template
specific to Pandoc?

@ 2019-05-30 13:41   ` CR
       [not found]     ` <5f74908b-9500-43b5-84c2-b7452a0326e9-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: CR @ 2019-05-30 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I found the template that Pandoc 2.7.2 uses actually IS putting stuff in
the <body> tag. Here's the relevant line from the `pandoc -D epub` command:
```
epub:type="$body-type$"$endif$>
```

The EPUB template output for Pandoc v2.2.1 is this:
`<body$if(coverpage)$ id="cover"$endif$>`

So how do I make my own EPUB template? Do I make a file under Pandoc dir
called `templates\template.epub`?
How do I comment out this one line to do a test?

Thank you.

@ 2019-06-02 13:54       ` mb21
From: mb21 @ 2019-06-02 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

> Do I make a file under Pandoc dir called `templates\template.epub`?

Almost: templates/default.epub3

See the manual for more info..

@ 2019-06-03 16:53       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]         ` <yh480k36kq4nl0.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-06-03 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CR, pandoc-discuss

Please do let us know if just changing the body tag in
the template so that it does not get the epub:type
attribute fixes the alignment issue in your reader.
That would be interesting to know...though it still
looks to me like an issue with your reader, not pandoc.

@ 2019-06-03 20:49           ` CR
       [not found]             ` <843ed1be-d8f5-4633-80fa-78e17e34fba2-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: CR @ 2019-06-03 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Yes I've confirmed this is a problem with the Pandoc template and how
Pandoc constructs the <body> tag. I output the default epub template to
templates\template.epub. Now how do I comment out the <body> line in the
template under templates\template.epub?

@ 2019-06-03 21:58               ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                 ` <yh480kpnnu2uwc.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-06-03 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CR, pandoc-discuss

CR <chuckr69-Wuw85uim5zDR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Yes I've confirmed this is a problem with the Pandoc template and how
> Pandoc constructs the <body> tag.

Have you confirmed that by changing ONLY the body tag,
leaving everything else the same?  (Modifying the
template will do this, but it doesn't seem you've done
that yet.  Let us know the result when you have.)

> Now how do I comment out the <body> line in the
> template under templates\template.epub?

Find the line

and change it to

@ 2019-06-19 14:17                   ` CR