From: Julien Dutant <julien.dutant-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
To: pandoc-discuss <pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: Summer project ideas
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 10:59:21 -0800 (PST)	[thread overview]

Speaking of projects, I'm working on a pandoc workflow to produce an
academic journal (dialectica, John will know it
http://dialectica.philosophie.ch/) that's flipping open access. It's
complementary to what John, Albert and others have been doing on the
authoring side of things. The aims are make copy-editing simpler, more
accessible, more affordable, independent of commercial tools, with the same
or better quality that what we got from Wiley-Blackwell. We convert all
manuscripts to markdown + bibtex, edit them in markdown, and produce JATS
XML, HTML and PDF (via LaTeX) from that source, using pandoc, citeproc and
custom lua filters. I should say that not only this would be of course be
impossible without pandoc, but there are also many details in its design
that turned out to be very useful for the process (e.g. the defaults file).
I've been working with a small team of copyeditors on this. Most started
out without special expertise beyond writing or having written a PhD and
they're now fluent with markdown and editing rules, as we hoped. However
there's still quite a bit of technical knowledge required here and there
when e.g. LaTeX break downs or a script doesn't work on Windows.

From this perspective here are the things I'm currently thinking would help
a project like ours:

1. Cross-referencing would be good indeed. We now use pandoc-crossref. It'd
be good to handle cross-references to foonotes (see
https://github.com/lierdakil/pandoc-crossref/issues/215 , at the moment we
use links with the footnote number manually entered).

2. Implementing the new table features as well (we had a few multi-row /
multi-col tables, currently hard-coded in the relevant outputs).

3. Docx reader that picks up Zotero/Endnote/Mendeley *citations*. At the
moment the most time-consuming copyediting task is to replace manuscript
citations with markdown tags. If Pandoc was able to pick up
Zotero/Endnote/Mendeley citations in docx sources, we could consider asking
the authors to insert them.

Would John's "architectural improvement" for the docx reader/writer make
developing that feature easier? If so that'd be a big plus I'd think.

4. A good visual editor for pandoc's markdown. (Read on to see what that
has to do with pandoc itself.) Copyeditors like it and it's needed if we
want to involve authors. My dream would be to have an equivalent of Google
Docs that would allow authors to do revisions online (something in the air,
cf https://www.authorea.com/) but a desktop one would be great. IMHO the
best at the moment is RStudio's
(https://rstudio.github.io/visual-markdown-editing/#/ just released but
we've been using the beta preview for a few months.) But one with an even
better potential I think is LyX: it's faster (C++ rather than javascript),
designed for LaTeX so covering a lot of academic writing features, with a
module class+extension packages that could accommodate markdown files,
custom markup and perhaps even lua filters. All it would take to enable
this would be for pandoc to be able to read LyX's own format (requested
here https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/5555 but without noting that this
would turn LyX into one of the best markdown visual editor available).

The good news here is that the LyX team looks set to make their
(undocumented, custom) format into an XML format
(https://wiki.lyx.org/Devel/XML).

So, getting to the point: could John's "architectural improvement" for the
docx reader/writer be something that is flexible enough to enable us to
create new readers for other XML formats? Would it worth having a
customizable XML reader that we could feed with custom XML->Pandoc JSON
maps, or is that better done by XSLT?

5. Generate custom XML for Indesign (and Scribus?). The biggest technical
hurdles we've faced actually came from LaTeX: PDF generation crashes, the
copyeditor gets an error report (gets confused by the line number, which is
from .tex not from their .md), and we have to dig through to find the
source (weird code in the .bib, people's LaTeX distribution needing an
update, etc.). Final touches aren't easy (try to prevent a pagebreak
between paragraphs). That makes the workflow inaccessible to teams without
a house LaTeX expert and too onerous to those with design-heavy book /
journal projects. So it would be good to have an alternative to use other
typesetting engines.

I haven't looked into this in detail, so perhaps Pandoc already has all
that's needed to do this: I'm thinking of a combination of JATS XML + raw
XML markup + custom JATS XML template + lua filters as needed. If not,
perhaps that's another area where a customizable XML writer and/or John's
"architectural improvement" could help.

Best,
Julien