* Examples of Pandoc MD-formatted Academic Papers
@ 2014-01-21 19:36 Pranesh Prakash
       [not found] ` <6097151d-7073-4120-8284-c4a266a72e9b-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Pranesh Prakash @ 2014-01-21 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Dear all,
I've been using pandoc-flavoured markdown for a while now to write blog
posts, but I'm now trying it out to write an academic (legal) paper.  I'm
having a tough time getting my head around how to do (non-inline) citations
properly (which has to be in the Bluebook style[1]).  Would any of you have
publicly-available files for finished academic papers written in markdown
with footnotes and citations and the accompanying bibliography file?

Regards,
Pranesh

 [1]:
https://raw2.github.com/citation-style-language/styles/master/bluebook-law-review.csl

* Re: Examples of Pandoc MD-formatted Academic Papers
       [not found] ` <6097151d-7073-4120-8284-c4a266a72e9b-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2014-01-21 21:10   ` John MacFarlane
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: John MacFarlane @ 2014-01-21 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Pandoc is designed so that you can write your citations just as
you would with an inline style.  If you use a footnote style CSL,
things should be adjusted properly.  So,

   My sentence [@mycite].

should come out as:

   My sentence.^1^

   ^1^  (the citation)

Ideally you can go back and forth between footnote and inline
style just by changing the csl you use, without any changes to
the text.

+++ Pranesh Prakash [Jan 21 14 11:36 ]:

@ 2014-01-21 21:36   ` kurt.pfeifle-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg
From: kurt.pfeifle-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg @ 2014-01-21 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

For similar reasons last weekend I happened to set up my own test
environment to see which CSL style resulted in which PDF output.

I'm using a Markdown'ed testfile and a *.bib sample file with three entries
which where somehow inspired/copied/modified by other ones which I found
somewhere around pandoc's or John's websites (I forgot to note the URL,
can't find it anymore currently -- so I can't give full credit).

My Markdown file, my-csltest.mmd, looks like this (sorry, it's in German):

# `pandoc` mit `citeproc-hs` (Testen automatisch erzeugter
Literaturverzeichnisse)

## Markdown-Quellcode der Seite

``` {.markdown}
i.  [@nonexistent]
i.  @nonexistent
i.  @z1 sagt blah.
i.  @z1 [p. 30] sagt blubb.
i.  @z1 [p. 30, mit Suffix] sagt blahblah.
i.  @z1 [-@z2 p. 30; siehe auch @z3] sagt blah-blubb.
i.  In einer Fußnote.[^1]
i.  Eine Zitat-Gruppe [siehe @z1 p. 34-35; ebenfalls @z3 chap. 3].
i.  Noch eine [siehe @z1 p. 34-35].
i.  Und noch eine, in einer Fußnote.[^2]
i.  Zitat mit einem *Suffix* und einem *Locator* [@z1 pp. 33, 35-37, und
sonst nirgends].
i.  Zitat nur mit einem Locator [@z1 und sonst nirgends].
i.  Jetzt ein paar *Modifiers*[^3]...
i.  Mit etwas extra Markup [*siehe* @z1 p. **32**].

[^1]: Ein Zitat ohne Locators [@z3].

[^2]: Mehrere Zitate [siehe @z2 chap. 3; @z3; @z1].

[^3]: ...wie z.B. ein Zitat ohne Autor: [-@z1]. Und jetzt noch Doe mit
einem Locator [-@z2 p. 44].
```
## PDF-Ergebnis des Markdown-Codes

i.  [@nonexistent]
i.  @nonexistent
i.  @z1 sagt blah.
i.  @z1 [p. 30] sagt blubb.
i.  @z1 [p. 30, mit Suffix] sagt blahblah.
i.  @z1 [-@z2 p. 30; siehe auch @z3] sagt blah-blubb.
i.  In einer Fußnote.[^1]
i.  Eine Zitat-Gruppe [siehe @z1 p. 34-35; ebenfalls @z3 chap. 3].
i.  Noch eine [siehe @z1 p. 34-35].
i.  Und noch eine, in einer Fußnote.[^2]
i.  Zitat mit einem *Suffix* und einem *Locator* [@z1 pp. 33, 35-37, und
sonst nirgends].
i.  Zitat nur mit einem Locator [@z1 und sonst nirgends].
i.  Jetzt ein paar *Modifiers*[^3]...
i.  Mit etwas extra Markup [*siehe* @z1 p. **32**].

[^1]: Ein Zitat ohne Locators [@z3].

[^2]: Mehrere Zitate [siehe @z2 chap. 3; @z3; @z1].

[^3]: ...wie z.B. ein Zitat ohne Autor: [-@z1]. Und jetzt noch Doe mit
einem Locator [-@z2 p. 44].

# Literaturverzeichnis

My sample my-dummy.bib file is this:

@Book{ref1,
author="Thales von Milet",
title="Doppelwinkel-Funktionen",
url="http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formelsammlung_Trigonometrie#Doppelwinkelfunktionen",
year="600 v.Chr.",
address="Milet, Kleinasien",
publisher="Wikipedia"
}

@Article{ref2,
author="OStR Dr. math.nat. Oster",
title="Unterrichtsmaterialen für Klasse 9 (Mittelstufe)",
year="1969",
journal="Journal für Allgemeine Studien",
volume="8",
pages="44-53"
}

@InCollection{ref3,
author="Elvis Presley, Madonna and Pink Floyd",
title="Kombinatorik Hypergeometrischer Verteilungen",
booktitle="Wiederholungslose Auswahlprobleme",
editor="Cleopatra, Königin von Ägypten",
publisher="Steintafeln Moses GmbH & Co. KG",
address="Gizeh",
year="30 v.Chr."
}

My CSL files are a Git clone from https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles.git
This gave me almost 10.000 CSL files -- but I found that all *.csl files
which have a filesize smaller than 1900 Bytes are not usable, because they
do not contain any style, only an XML header. The number of files above
~1.900 Bytes was only 865, all of which produced output with citations.

What I did was looping through all the CSL files I was interested in with a
command like the following:

for csl in bluebook*.csl; do
pandoc  \
  -V geometry=paperwidth=21cm \
  -V geometry:paperheight=32cm \
  -V geometry:margin=0.5cm \
  -V language=de-DE -V lang=ngerman \
  --highlight-style=espresso \
  --filter=pandoc-citeproc \
  --standalone \
  --self-contained \
  --biblio=my-dummy.bib \
  --csl ${csl} \
   -o my-csltest---$(basename ${csl}).pdf \
    my-csltest.mmd
done

Note I used a non-standard paperheight in order to fit all my test-text
onto a single page. The page also contains a copy of the source Markdown as
a code block to make it more easy to check which type of citation source
resulted in which type of citation target rendering.

Here is a link to my output PDF for bluebook-law-review.csl for your
convenience:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e1beympr4w2vmhu/my-csltest---bluebook-law-review.pdf

@ 2014-01-21 21:38   ` kurt.pfeifle-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg
From: kurt.pfeifle-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg @ 2014-01-21 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

> [...]

a code block to make it more easy to check which type of citation source
resulted in which type of citation target rendering.

Here is a link to my output PDF for bluebook-law-review.csl for your
convenience:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e1beympr4w2vmhu/my-csltest---bluebook-law-review.pdf

Am Dienstag, 21. Januar 2014 20:36:23 UTC+1 schrieb Pranesh Prakash:

> Dear all,
> I've been using pandoc-flavoured markdown for a while now to write blog
> posts, but I'm now trying it out to write an academic (legal) paper.  I'm
> having a tough time getting my head around how to do (non-inline) citations
> properly (which has to be in the Bluebook style[1]).  Would any of you have
> publicly-available files for finished academic papers written in markdown
> with footnotes and citations and the accompanying bibliography file?

[-- Attachment #2: my-csltest---bluebook-law-review.pdf --]

* Re: Examples of Pandoc MD-formatted Academic Papers
       [not found] ` <6097151d-7073-4120-8284-c4a266a72e9b-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-01-22 10:41   ` Martin Fenner
       [not found]     ` <4f7c5889-0111-4cb1-8404-6a83ca23f8c2-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Martin Fenner @ 2014-01-22 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Not academic paper, but book on Open Science that includes bibtex
references, tables, figures, footnotes and YAML references:
Markdown at https://github.com/openingscience/book/tree/master/_posts
HTML formatted output at http://book.openingscience.org
or https://github.com/openingscience/openingscience.github.io

The book was just published as Springer Open Access book (Creative Commons
Non-Commercial license), feel free to reuse the content. The markdown
formatting is still work in progress, you can start
with https://github.com/openingscience/book/blob/master/_posts/2013-08-01-towards_another_scientific_revolution.md.

Best,

Martin

@ 2014-01-23  0:26       ` Scot Mcphee
       [not found]         ` <CAFnRE0RAeTcvikV6cLYTYvQXFmyZJySMWengu_DTujsHG7um0g-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Scot Mcphee @ 2014-01-23  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I've recently started using Pandoc to write academic papers (also my
thesis!) after years of doing Scrivener->MMD->LaTeX.

However my first paper I can't show it to you until I get it into shape and
submitted for publication. This publication requires references in
footnotes (using a note format rather than Author:Date).. Personally rather
than trying to get my head around a CSL that inserts the footnote when
encountering the [@reference] I just did this.[^fn1]

[^fn1]: [@reference]

This seems to work just fine for me. I use the biblatex option and a .bib
file to compile - the journal's target format is MS Word, so I've not tried
this to LaTeX and PDF as yet. My research is not in the sciences so most
journals expect Ms Word or similar, a primary reason I switched away from
Scrivener/MMD/LaTeX to Pandoc. I also decided, as a former programmer, I
preferred to write directly in a plain text format.

Scot

*Scot Mcphee. *
*Computer programmer. Classics PhD. Trouble-maker. Problem-solver.*
p 0412957414
e scot.mcphee-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
let x=x http://crazymcphee.net/x/
inlustre monumentum est http://inlustre.net/

@ 2014-01-23  3:18           ` Pranesh Prakash
       [not found]             ` <CAPD_o+-mH15Au7L9gYUHF8kwXhWeiMJ7PSTXGCSOL_jR6sw-Vw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Pranesh Prakash @ 2014-01-23  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks all.  This has been most helpful, especially seeing
https://raw2.github.com/openingscience/book/master/_posts/2013-08-01-towards_another_scientific_revolution.md
and
https://raw2.github.com/openingscience/book/master/bibliography/references.bib
and
https://raw2.github.com/openingscience/book/master/_config.yml

I'm using the Zotero Firefox plugin to create the .bib file (by
exporting to BibTeX since exporting to BibLaTeX seems to lose some
data (like authors and editors becoming {{undefined}}).)  If there's a
better way, do let me know.

I'll try out a simple test tonight and let folks know how it goes.

And eventually I need to either do MD -> ODT (and then use LibreOffice
to convert to .docx) or if MD -> DOCX works well enough then do that
directly.

A couple things I wanted to check:

While I always use styles in ODT documents, I have never worked around
with styles for ODT/DOCX created by Pandoc.  My understanding is that
I need to use --reference-odt= for that.  And for getting YAML
metadata to be read properly while converting into ODT I'll need to
do:

$ pandoc -D odt > ~/.pandoc/template/opendocument.template
and then edit opendocument.template.

Is that correct?  Because YAML metadata, even if I'm only using three
fields (Author, Title, Date) never works (it displays them as a table
instead).

@ 2014-01-23  3:30               ` Pranesh Prakash
       [not found]                 ` <CAPD_o+8_tLYsOQLAa6FhBdQmRcE2c9qvdLG+kaPp5xTfc8uqLg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Pranesh Prakash @ 2014-01-23  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I just tried out:

$ pandoc /home/sol/articles/2014-01-14_invisible-censorship-a-look-at-indias-information-technology-act_yaml.txt
--bibliography=/home/sol/articles/biblio.bibtex
--csl=/home/sol/articles/bluebook.csl --standalone --self-contained -o
/home/sol/articles/2014-01-14_invisible-censorship-a-look-at-indias-information-technology-act_yaml.odt

and that command hangs.

It works if I don't specify --bibliography.  Is there a verbose/debug
flag I can set to see why it's hanging?

Here's my BibTeX file:
http://pastebin.com/YKgzpBFs

and here is the extract I'm trying to convert:
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=w59qk4Hp

The YAML block also doesn't work.  (How would I change this?)

@ 2014-01-23 18:10                   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                     ` <20140123181008.GC96595-9Rnp8PDaXcZ2EAH53EmH34tHsfhOvSUSZkel5v8DVj8@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2014-01-23 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

What does pandoc --version say, and how did you install pandoc?

+++ Pranesh Prakash [Jan 22 14 22:30 ]:

@ 2014-01-23 18:35                       ` Michael
       [not found]                         ` <ef4b50de-19a2-40e5-a230-95790a4bd284-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Michael @ 2014-01-23 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

The yaml trouble[^1] you mention seems to be coming from the semicolon in
the title?  If I make it a separate subtitle and ask pandoc to rewrite it I
get

     ---
     author: Pranesh Prakash
     date: 'January 14, 2014'
     subtitle: 'A Look at India''s Information Technology Act'
     title: Invisible Censorship

Also, for what it's worth, something in my setup was unhappy with the
underscore before the tag for the bibliographic reference _ranjit_1964 .

[^1] My error was:  "pandoc: Could not parse YAML header: mapping values
are not allowed in this context "source" (line 5, column 28)"

@ 2014-01-23 18:40                           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                             ` <20140123184016.GC3626-0VdLhd/A9Pm0ooXD8Eul3Rafwldml03GTVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2014-01-23 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Colons are special characters in YAML, so if you have
a colon in your title, you should put the whole thing in single
quotes.

Note that only the latest version of pandoc allows underscores to begin
citation keys.

+++ Michael [Jan 23 14 10:35 ]:

@ 2014-01-23 19:10                               ` Michael
From: Michael @ 2014-01-23 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

> Colons are special characters in YAML

Right, there is the additional curiosity that the subtitle had a single
quote in it, so Pranesh' original yaml should read something like this on
reflection:

     ---
     title: 'Invisible Censorship: A Look at India''s Information
Technology Act'
     author: Pranesh Prakash
     date: January 14, 2014

My new pandoc is indeed happy with _ranjit_1964

Michael

@ 2014-01-23 19:42                               ` Pranesh Prakash
       [not found]                                 ` <CAPD_o+8XFzQzxPZ4JqYVP8zZkot=qV-ydusF8yUAx8yCBkVD1A-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Pranesh Prakash @ 2014-01-23 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Dear John and Michael,
Putting the title in single quotes didn't work, presumably because
there's an apostrophe too.  But double quotes did work fine.

As to the version, I uninstalled the older version of pandoc that's in
Ubuntu 13.10's PPAs (v1.11.1-2build2) and installed it via cabal
(v1.12.3.1).  (It'd be great if someone would package an up-to-date
version of pandoc in a PPA! Haskell-Package was ~ 485 MB with
bucketloads of dependencies!)

I then did the following:
$ ~/.cabal/bin/pandoc
/home/sol/articles/2014-01-14_invisible-censorship-a-look-at-indias-information-technology-act_yaml.txt
--filter ~/.cabal/bin/pandoc-citeproc
--bibliography=/home/sol/articles/biblio.bib
--csl=/home/sol/articles/bluebook.csl -o
~/articles/2014-01-14_invisible-censorship-a-look-at-indias-information-technology-act_yaml.odt
-s -S

For some reason, the citations aren't working properly.  I've tried
with both bluebook.csl[1] and amlaw.csl[2].  The latter, though it is
a more up-to-date version of the Bluebook format (with support for
automatic filling in of note numbers in *supra* note #), apparently
has problems working with anything but Multi-Lingual Zotero (a fork of
the regular one) so can't be expected to work with pandoc-citeproc.

But if I use bluebook.csl, I'm getting the following as a citation:

Lawrence Liang, *Reasonable restrictions and unreasonable speech*,*in*
<smallcaps>Sarai reader 4: Crisis/Media</smallcaps> (Jeebesh Bagchi et
al., 2004)

While Zotero is creating the entry correctly:

Lawrence Liang, *Reasonable Restrictions and Unreasonable Speech*,
*in* <smallcaps>Sarai Reader 4: Crisis/Media</smallcaps> (Jeebesh
Bagchi et al. eds., 2004)

Given that it'll take a while to debug this as also to get the
LibreOffice-Zotero linking to work properly, I think I'll stick to
plain LibreOffice-with-handcrafted-citations for this paper :)

Thanks again folks.

 [1]: https://raw2.github.com/citation-style-language/styles/master/bluebook-law-review.csl
 [2]: http://citationstylist.org/github/mlz-amlaw.csl

@ 2014-01-23 20:24                                   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                                     ` <20140123202449.GB3937-0VdLhd/A9Pm0ooXD8Eul3Rafwldml03GTVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2014-01-23 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Pranesh Prakash [Jan 23 14 14:42 ]:
> Dear John and Michael,
> Putting the title in single quotes didn't work, presumably because
> there's an apostrophe too.  But double quotes did work fine.
>
> As to the version, I uninstalled the older version of pandoc that's in
> Ubuntu 13.10's PPAs (v1.11.1-2build2) and installed it via cabal
> (v1.12.3.1).  (It'd be great if someone would package an up-to-date
> version of pandoc in a PPA! Haskell-Package was ~ 485 MB with
> bucketloads of dependencies!)
>
> I then did the following:
> $ ~/.cabal/bin/pandoc
> /home/sol/articles/2014-01-14_invisible-censorship-a-look-at-indias-information-technology-act_yaml.txt
> --filter ~/.cabal/bin/pandoc-citeproc
> --bibliography=/home/sol/articles/biblio.bib
> --csl=/home/sol/articles/bluebook.csl -o
> ~/articles/2014-01-14_invisible-censorship-a-look-at-indias-information-technology-act_yaml.odt
> -s -S
>
> For some reason, the citations aren't working properly.  I've tried
> with both bluebook.csl[1] and amlaw.csl[2].  The latter, though it is
> a more up-to-date version of the Bluebook format (with support for
> automatic filling in of note numbers in *supra* note #), apparently
> has problems working with anything but Multi-Lingual Zotero (a fork of
> the regular one) so can't be expected to work with pandoc-citeproc.
>
> But if I use bluebook.csl, I'm getting the following as a citation:
>
> Lawrence Liang, *Reasonable restrictions and unreasonable speech*,*in*
> <smallcaps>Sarai reader 4: Crisis/Media</smallcaps> (Jeebesh Bagchi et
> al., 2004)
>
> While Zotero is creating the entry correctly:
>
> Lawrence Liang, *Reasonable Restrictions and Unreasonable Speech*,
> *in* <smallcaps>Sarai Reader 4: Crisis/Media</smallcaps> (Jeebesh
> Bagchi et al. eds., 2004)

So the problems are:  (1) no space before *in*, (2) no titlecase
in titles, (3) no "eds."?

@ 2014-01-24 18:21                                   ` BP Jonsson
       [not found]                                     ` <52E2AF1C.8010808-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: BP Jonsson @ 2014-01-24 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

2014-01-23 20:42, Pranesh Prakash skrev:
> Dear John and Michael,
> Putting the title in single quotes didn't work, presumably because
> there's an apostrophe too.  But double quotes did work fine.

You should write *two* apostrophes/singlequotes to get one
singlequote/apostrophe inside singlequotes in YAML:

     'It''s done like this, isn''t it?'

It's dead ugly but not as ugly as "escaping doublequotes inside
doublequotes with backslashes \"like this\" is". However inside
doublequotes you have a bunch of other possible backslash escapes
so allowing doubled doublequotes doesn't mike sense. In
singlequotes escaping by doubling makes sense, because the only
thing which needs escaping there is the singlequote itself.

(If the above wasn't intelligible it's because I've been
proofreading my own prose all day long...)

/bpj

@ 2014-01-24 20:37                                       ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2014-01-24 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

You can always do this:

title: |
  Title 'with special chars' "(**&@#$:

+++ BP Jonsson [Jan 24 14 19:21 ]:

@ 2015-09-01  7:22                                       ` Pranesh Prakash
       [not found]                                         ` <4884b177-77eb-46b7-90e4-2f4145321215-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Pranesh Prakash @ 2015-09-01  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I'm sorry for digging up this old thread.  Please let me know if I should
start a new one.

On Friday, January 24, 2014 at 1:54:49 AM UTC+5:30, John MacFarlane wrote:

> > I then did the following:
> > $ ~/.cabal/bin/pandoc
> >
> /home/sol/articles/2014-01-14_invisible-censorship-a-look-at-indias-information-technology-act_yaml.txt
>
> > --filter ~/.cabal/bin/pandoc-citeproc
> > --bibliography=/home/sol/articles/biblio.bib
> > --csl=/home/sol/articles/bluebook.csl -o
> >
> ~/articles/2014-01-14_invisible-censorship-a-look-at-indias-information-technology-act_yaml.odt
>
> > -s -S
> >
> > For some reason, the citations aren't working properly.  I've tried
> > with both bluebook.csl[1] and amlaw.csl[2].  The latter, though it is
> > a more up-to-date version of the Bluebook format (with support for
> > automatic filling in of note numbers in *supra* note #), apparently
> > has problems working with anything but Multi-Lingual Zotero (a fork of
> > the regular one) so can't be expected to work with pandoc-citeproc.
> >
> > But if I use bluebook.csl, I'm getting the following as a citation:
> >
> > Lawrence Liang, *Reasonable restrictions and unreasonable speech*,*in*
> > <smallcaps>Sarai reader 4: Crisis/Media</smallcaps> (Jeebesh Bagchi et
> > al., 2004)
> >
> > While Zotero is creating the entry correctly:
> >
> > Lawrence Liang, *Reasonable Restrictions and Unreasonable Speech*,
> > *in* <smallcaps>Sarai Reader 4: Crisis/Media</smallcaps> (Jeebesh
> > Bagchi et al. eds., 2004)
>
> So the problems are:  (1) no space before *in*, (2) no titlecase
> in titles, (3) no "eds."?

In short: yes. Since last year, (1) and (3) seem to have been fixed. (2)
still hasn't.

Also, see: http://pandoc.org/csltest/bluebook-law-review.html
Many of the examples don't work, since the Bluebook law review citation
style only uses footnotes, and doesn't use inline notes.

@ 2015-09-02  2:54                                           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-09-02  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I gather your problem is with bluebook-law-review.csl, and
the problem is that you're not getting titlecase.

Looking at the csl file, it doesn't specify titlecase.
So we're probably looking at a difference in the defaults
between pandoc and zotero, either in rendering or in bibtex
conversion.

It would be helpful if you'd give us a short bibtex file
that would allow this to be reproduced.

Also, note that the /csltest section on the website was old;
it hasn't been regenerated using recent versions of pandoc
and pandoc-citeproc.  (In fact I'd forgotten it was there.
I have since deleted it.)

+++ Pranesh Prakash [Sep 01 15 00:22 ]: