* groff -ms and eqn
@ 2021-02-02  4:15 r.d.go...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
       [not found] ` <620eac17-475e-4fe1-bc4d-0e20f7dca8e2n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: r.d.go...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org @ 2021-02-02  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

The pandoc output to groff -ms is really very good. There's one problem.
The eqn delimiters (which are @@) are not specified in the -ms output file.
This means that if I have a file rubbish.md with math in it, I cannot
convert to pdf simply with:

pandoc -t ms rubbish.md | groff -ms -e -Tpdf > rubbish.pdf

but need to invoke eqn separately, specifying the delimiters:

pandoc -t ms rubbish.md | eqn -d@@ | groff -ms -Tpdf > rubbish.pdf

That becomes even more irksome if there is a table in my markdown file,
because tbl has to be invoked before eqn, and I have to manually add it in
the pipe, rather than let groff sort out the order of the preprocessors.

I'm not sure what the solution is. The ms file with math in it needs these
lines at the top:

.EQ
delim @@
.EN

The problem is that if that is placed in every ms file, then if it does not
have any math and is *not *preprocessed with eqn, the words delim @@ are
printed verbatim.

* Re: groff -ms and eqn
       [not found] ` <620eac17-475e-4fe1-bc4d-0e20f7dca8e2n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-02-02  4:58   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <m2sg6fysk8.fsf-jF64zX8BO08an7k8zZ43ob9bIa4KchGshsV+eolpW18@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-02-02  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: r.d.go...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org, pandoc-discuss

Are you using the -s (--standalone) option?
If you do, and if your document contains math, then

.EQ
delim @@
.EN

should be automatically inserted. It's part of the default
template.  Example:

pandoc -s -t ms
$e^2$
^D