* Pandoc produces code blocks for ePub v2 that is not valid by the ePub checker
@ 2018-09-20 15:12 kiko.fernandez-1zs4UD6AkMk
       [not found] ` <2bf5954f-3246-493e-874b-35b45be4ddb4-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: kiko.fernandez-1zs4UD6AkMk @ 2018-09-20 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi there,

I couldn't find this question anywhere, so I hope it has not been answered
before.

The following Markdown doesn't seem to be valid.

BEGIN MD

---
title: This is a test book
---

# Test

This is a test

```python
def test():
  return 0
```

END MD

The output error is:

epubcheck-4.0.2 java -jar epubcheck.jar test.epub
Validating using EPUB version 2.0.1 rules.
ERROR(RSC-005): test.epub/EPUB/text/ch001.xhtml(84,151): Error while
parsing file 'attribute "data-line-number" not allowed here; expected
attribute "accesskey", "charset", "coords", "dir", "href", "hreflang",
"lang", "rel", "rev", "shape", "style", "tabindex", "target", "title",
"type" or "xml:lang"'.
ERROR(RSC-005): test.epub/EPUB/text/ch001.xhtml(85,55): Error while parsing
file 'attribute "data-line-number" not allowed here; expected attribute
"accesskey", "charset", "coords", "dir", "href", "hreflang", "lang", "rel",
"rev", "shape", "style", "tabindex", "target", "title", "type" or
"xml:lang"'.

Check finished with errors

epubcheck completed

Basically, from what I can see in the HTML, it generates a line similar to
this one:

<a class="sourceLine" id="cb1-1" data-line-number="1">

and it doesn't seem to be supported.
Do you know how can I remove the data-line-number attribute when I generate
ePub version 2?

Thanks.

* Re: Pandoc produces code blocks for ePub v2 that is not valid by the ePub checker
       [not found] ` <2bf5954f-3246-493e-874b-35b45be4ddb4-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2018-09-20 16:10   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <m2va70w3om.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2018-09-20 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kiko.fernandez-1zs4UD6AkMk, pandoc-discuss

The data-line-number attribute is produced by
skylighting (jgm/skylighting on GitHub).  The
problem is that although data- attributes are
valid HTML5, they aren't valid HTML4, and epub v2
uses HTML4.  (If it works for you to produce
epub3, that would be a solution for now.)

Why don't you put an issue about this on
pandoc's bug tracker (https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues),
so we can track it.  I'll have to consult with
the person who revised skylighting's treatment
of line numbers.  The only workaround I can suggest
for now is to use a script to unpack the epub
container and do a perl or sed substitution in all
the .xhtml files, simply removing the data-line-number
attributes.

@ 2018-09-20 16:28       ` kiko.fernandez-1zs4UD6AkMk
From: kiko.fernandez-1zs4UD6AkMk @ 2018-09-20 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss