From: "daa...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org" <daamien-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
To: pandoc-discuss <pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
Subject: Adding a `pandoc/extra` docker image
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 07:21:04 -0800 (PST)	[thread overview]

Hey guys !

My name's Damien Clochard and I'm here to talk about the pandoc docker
images. I hope this is the right channel.

I work for a French PostgreSQL company named 'DALIBO' where we produce **a
lot** of documents with pandoc, and I'm the maintainer of the
`dalibo/pandocker` image here:

https://github.com/dalibo/pandocker

We started this project in 2016 because at the time there was no official
`pandoc/latex` image and because we are using a lot of extras things around
pandoc : filters, fonts, templates, etc.  A long the way, the image became
popular, we gained users from outside our company with different needs (
e.g.the Noto fonts for non-european langs ) and the project kinda grew
further than what was initially planned.

Anyway the pandocker image was based on debian stretch and when the
official `pandoc/latex` was released we could not easily switch back to it
because we went in antoher direction with our own image.... However
recently we managed to release a new version based on `pandoc/ubuntu:2.19`.
This is a great step for us and we are grateful towards this community for
all the great work you have achieved.

Well... that was a long introduction to  this simple proposition :

Would you like to add a new official docker image named `extra` built upon
the `latex` image that would include useful filters and templates ?

First and foremost, I think that the [eisvogel] template (and its latex
dependencies) would be a great addittion

[eisvogel]: https://github.com/Wandmalfarbe/pandoc-latex-template

and we could also add nice filters such as

* pandoc-latex-environment
* pandoc-include

And some common open-source fonts

* DejaVu
* Liberation
* AwesomeFont

These elements are currently part of the `dalibo/pandocker` images and I
would be happy to help adding them into a `pandoc/extra` image.

As far as I know, [eisvogel] is the most active and well designed latex
template in the community. And integrating an advanced template directly
inside the docker image is **really** useful for newcomers and more
generally anyone not familiar with `tlmgr` and the nightmare of handling
latex dependencies :-D

Think of it as a `batteries included` version of the pandoc docker image
where users would have access to pandoc AND the best PDF templates AND a
curated list of nice filters...

Of course there might be other templates and filters worth considering but
let's start with a small subset of components that we could agree on...

Again I am willing to help and provide any experience from the
`dalibo/pandocker` project.

Anyway thanks again for this great software ( both pandoc and its docker
images )

Regards,

--
Damien Clochard