* Where does pandoc look for beamer templates?
@ 2019-01-15 22:05 Glen Henshaw
       [not found] ` <6476255d-b4d5-4584-8b1e-414a2d66918e-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Glen Henshaw @ 2019-01-15 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I'm new to pandoc. I'm trying to generate slides, which have to use my
organization's (provided) beamer theme.

If I place all of the necessary files (including five beamertheme files and
all of the associated graphics files) in the working directory, everything
works fine. But this is very difficult to keep organized. There are nearly
20 files there. Ideally, I'd like to either store the beamertheme files in
a resources directory inside my project directory, or put them somewhere on
the system in a permanent location.

But I can't get either of these options to work. I've created a
~/.pandoc/templates directory, and placed the files there. Pandoc says it
can't find them. I've also created a <myproject>/resources/templates/
directory and stored them there, and beamer can't find them. I call pandoc
with the --data-dir=<myproject>/resources; nope. I've also tried pandoc
--resource-path=<myproject>/resources. Still no.

This has to be easy, right?

* Re: Where does pandoc look for beamer templates?
       [not found] ` <6476255d-b4d5-4584-8b1e-414a2d66918e-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-01-16 15:52   ` Glen Henshaw
       [not found]     ` <f5e22ab1-e020-451d-9cc8-9b858a0c8764-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Glen Henshaw @ 2019-01-16 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

So... getting no response, I take it that this isn't easy after all?

@ 2019-01-16 16:30       ` Glen Henshaw
From: Glen Henshaw @ 2019-01-16 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Well. For future reference, should any other lost souls have this problem:

One way to solve the problem is to add the location of the beamer .sty
files to the TEXINPUTS environmental variable.

In ,y case I'm actually using a Makefile to build my presentation, and I
have Makefile variables defined for the resource directory where I have my
beamer templates, so I add the following code to the pertinent line of the
makefile:

    $(OUTDIR)/%.pdf: $(SRCDIR)/%.md
        export TEXINPUTS=".:$(CURDIR)/$(RESDIR)/templates:"
        pandoc $(PANDOC_FLAGS_BEAMER) -o $@ $<

Note that the trailing ":" on the export command is critical.

@ 2019-01-17  1:41   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-01-17  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glen Henshaw, pandoc-discuss

I think you figured it out yourself.

--resource-path will only affect things pandoc does
itself (e.g. in processing include files or
converting images).  It deosn't affect where latex
finds its resources -- for that you need TEXINPUTS.

Though, come to think of it, it might not be a bad
idea to add the directories in resource-path to
TEXINPUTS when pandoc runs tex...