* Help me build a cool and open source pandoc editor!
@ 2015-04-04 10:58 ServerMeta
       [not found] ` <90957a8a-3e77-4a3c-9aeb-f6c1e32443be-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: ServerMeta @ 2015-04-04 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi guys!

I'm trying to build a cool, modern and open source Pandoc editor, and I
need your help to make it a usable product.

What I've been able to do:

1) Offline App for linux, windows and mac
2) Online App for browser Android, Windows phone and iOS

3) Collaborative editing in real time via operational transforms and
reactivity
4) Auto completion
5) (in progress) Real time preview

There's still a lot to do, but the foundations has been laid. Now I would
like to finalize a Pandoc "dialect"

The main users will be college student and teachers, which finds latex too
painful to use, and thus relay on handwritten notes.

My idea is to use a build tool with Yeoman to keep separate files
(Chapters, footnotes, citations, headings, etc) that are dynamically
combined and feed to pandoc for compilation.

Ideally people should be able to write markdown, insert latex commands, and
see the preview in html, or print the PDF. Ideally the HTML should be as
much close as possible to the PDF.

*How can you help me? *For now the main task is to integrate latex,
markdown and HTML well.

I understand that using latex in pandoc means that either I use:

1) tex_math_dollars extension.

This is renderend both in html and pdf (good), but is there something
missing? Can I use all the latex commands, including the styling ones, like
citations, footnotes, etc?

What are its limitations?

2) raw_tex extension

This is rendered in PDF only, which is bad. But everything should work,
right? is there a way to represent this in html?

3) Other suggestions to integrate latex and markdown for html and pdf
output?

* Re: Help me build a cool and open source pandoc editor!
       [not found] ` <90957a8a-3e77-4a3c-9aeb-f6c1e32443be-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-04-04 13:41   ` Raniere Silva
       [not found]     ` <20150404134125.GX27501-j/q8TITqDDESy/uc2pLa89BPR1lH4CV8@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Raniere Silva @ 2015-04-04 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi ServerMeta,

Looks like that you want to do something like http://authorea.com/.

> I understand that using latex in pandoc means that either I use:
>
> 1) tex_math_dollars extension.
>
> This is renderend both in html and pdf (good), but is there something
> missing?

Nope.

> Can I use all the latex commands, including the styling ones, like
> citations, footnotes, etc?

Nope. Pandoc know how to convert some LaTeX commands its internal AST
and later to HTML, e.g. footnotes,

    $ pandoc -f latex -t html <<EOF
    \footnote{foo}
    EOF
    <hr />
    <ol>
    </ol>

but not all commands, e.g. textcolor,

    $ pandoc -f latex -t html <<EOF
    \textcolor{red}{foo}
    EOF

> What are its limitations?

You should take a look at Pandoc flavor of Markdown.

> 2) raw_tex extension
>
> This is rendered in PDF only, which is bad.
> But everything should work, right?

Yes.

> is there a way to represent this in html?

You need to add it to Pandoc internal AST
and after that improve the readers and writers.

> 3) Other suggestions to integrate latex and markdown
> for html and pdf output?

You probably should do as http://authorea.com/
and limit users to a subset of LaTeX.

Raniere

@ 2015-04-04 14:03       ` ServerMeta
       [not found]         ` <8971a204-5054-4789-b90e-356f281dc203-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: ServerMeta @ 2015-04-04 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw; +Cc: raniere-Xhq86aZylhRTIXuwt5Zssw

> Looks like that you want to do something like http://authorea.com/.

yes! but better and open source.

> > 2) raw_tex extension
> >
> > This is rendered in PDF only, which is bad.
> > But everything should work, right?
>
> Yes.
>
> > is there a way to represent this in html?
>
> You need to add it to Pandoc internal AST
> and after that improve the readers and writers.

is this something doable or just extremely difficult?

> > 3) Other suggestions to integrate latex and markdown
> > for html and pdf output?
>
> You probably should do as http://authorea.com/
> <http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fauthorea.com%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNE2fWo2DW0gieSdB8_sI6Qc3cs-8w>
> and limit users to a subset of LaTeX.
>
> Raniere

is authorea built with pandoc?

@ 2015-04-04 14:13           ` Raniere Silva
       [not found]             ` <20150404141308.GA27501-j/q8TITqDDESy/uc2pLa89BPR1lH4CV8@public.gmane.org>
From: Raniere Silva @ 2015-04-04 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

> > Looks like that you want to do something like http://authorea.com/.
>
> yes! but better and open source.

Awesome. If part of your code is already public please let me know.
I would like to be a beta tester.

> > > 2) raw_tex extension
> > >
> > > This is rendered in PDF only, which is bad.
> > > But everything should work, right?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > > is there a way to represent this in html?
> >
> > You need to add it to Pandoc internal AST
> > and after that improve the readers and writers.
>
> is this something doable or just extremely difficult?

If you know Haskell I think is doable but difficult.
Unfortunately I still trying to learn Haskell.

> > > 3) Other suggestions to integrate latex and markdown
> > > for html and pdf output?
> >
> > You probably should do as http://authorea.com/
> > <http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fauthorea.com%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNE2fWo2DW0gieSdB8_sI6Qc3cs-8w>
> > and limit users to a subset of LaTeX.
>
> is authorea built with pandoc?

I don't know. They aren't open source. =(

@ 2015-04-04 14:24               ` ServerMeta
       [not found]                 ` <60bb4e4e-eae6-4e8d-8ed2-00cf16eb6a93-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: ServerMeta @ 2015-04-04 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw; +Cc: raniere-Xhq86aZylhRTIXuwt5Zssw

On Saturday, April 4, 2015 at 4:17:45 PM UTC+2, Raniere Silva wrote:

> > > Looks like that you want to do something like http://authorea.com/.
> >
> > yes! but better and open source.
>
> Awesome. If part of your code is already public please let me know.
> I would like to be a beta tester.

do you work in the academic field?

I'm planning to do a github release soon, but for full compatibility the
install is 1gb+

I will also publish an online server for development and debugging.

First I would like to finalize the language to understand where I'm going.

I hope to have a beta to show before the end of easter (2/3 days)

> > is this something doable or just extremely difficult?
>
> If you know Haskell I think is doable but difficult.
> Unfortunately I still trying to learn Haskell.

So maybe someone who is more experienced  can help us. Unfortunately
between my academic obligation, work and social life I have no time to
deeply study pandoc code base, but if nobody helps me I will eventually
have to.

Let's imagine a use case:

A user want to create a definition with latex symbols. The definition
should be numbered, and possibly have some custom CSS (a box or something?).

He wants to write it in markdown, and have it show up with the same look
and feel on both HTML and PDF.

What's the best way to achieve this?

Can we do this in an incremental way, so things slowly improve with the
help of the community?

From a first impression of pandoc it doesn't look like it's very evolvable.
This might be due to my poor insight, but this is something I think we
should improve or better document.

@ 2015-04-04 14:48                   ` Raniere Silva
From: Raniere Silva @ 2015-04-04 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

> do you work in the academic field?

Right now I'm affiliate with a university.

> I'm planning to do a github release soon,

=)

> Let's imagine a use case:
>
> A user want to create a definition with latex symbols. The definition
> should be numbered, and possibly have some custom CSS (a box or something?).
>
> He wants to write it in markdown, and have it show up with the same look
> and feel on both HTML and PDF.
>
> What's the best way to achieve this?

As I said previously, Pandoc's internal AST doesn't cover all LaTeX commands.

    $ pandoc -f latex -t html <<EOF
    heredoc> \begin{theorem}
    heredoc> Foo
    heredoc> \end{theorem}
    heredoc> EOF

The good thing is that some times you don't need to change Pandoc's internal AST.
You can use filters to achieve what you want, e.g.
https://github.com/jgm/pandocfilters/blob/master/examples/theorem.py.

> Can we do this in an incremental way,
> so things slowly improve with the help of the community?

Probably yes.

> From a first impression of pandoc it doesn't look like it's very evolvable.

We need to be extra careful to not make regressions when changing the internal AST.

> This might be due to my poor insight, but this is something I think we
> should improve or better document.

As I already said in this email,
you can use filters as a work around for some currently limitations of Pandoc.

Backing to your use case,
numbering things and cross-reference it is a problem in HTML.
Right now you the best option is embed the numbering in the HTML
but in the future we probably can do it with CSS
(see https://books.spec.whatwg.org/#cross-references).

And you should not allow use of custom CSS since this is a security risk.
I have discuss this with a friend once and you should target "basic" users.
People with advance knowledge of HTML+CSS+Javascript or (La)TeX
will complain about your software not have many features
and because of it they will keep writing HTML+CSS+Javascript or (La)TeX by hand.

Raniere

@ 2015-04-05 10:40   ` Nick Yakimov
From: Nick Yakimov @ 2015-04-05 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

So something like Texts <http://www.texts.io/>, or Writage
<http://www.writage.com/>, but open-source and with some collaboration
features integrated? Sign me up.

You can use Hackage pandoc-types documentation
<https://hackage.haskell.org/package/pandoc-types-1.12.4.2/docs/Text-Pandoc-Definition.html>
for an idea on what Pandoc's AST looks like. I suppose implementing same or
similiar AST in your application would be simpler and more robust, than
using LaTeX or Markdown for representation. That internal representation
could be used as input or output for Pandoc with json and native formats.

Live-preview could be implemented with relative ease if you can render HTML
-- just feed whatever AST representation (or any other input format for
that matter) into pandoc via pipe and read HTML fragment output. Apply css
and whatnot in post if you want.

As for your questions, raw LaTeX commands are just that -- raw LaTeX
commands. Those are used in LaTeX output formats (tex, latex, pdf), but are
silently discarded otherwise. Math, on the other hand, is not considered
raw LaTeX, and can be converted to various formats, including MathML,
MathJax, etc. There is also a way to leverage LaTeX and dvisvgm to render
math and convert output to embedded SVG (see, for example, my implementation
<https://gist.github.com/lierdakil/6a95278d02256a74a0fc>) -- but bear in
mind that embedded SVG obviously works only in html output.

Cross-references are hard to implement with Pandoc's AST, since
images/links/tables lack attributes at the moment, but there is some work
being done that should allow that in near future (at the cost of breaking
AST's backwards compatibility). At the moment, there are some filter-based
solutions, e.g. pandoc-crossref
<https://github.com/lierdakil/pandoc-crossref>, but all implementations I
know assume Markdown input.

@ 2015-06-25  9:16   ` Sylvain Ductor
From: Sylvain Ductor @ 2015-06-25  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I'm on

@ 2015-06-25 22:20                   ` kurt.pfeifle-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg
       [not found]                     ` <521cdbec-5731-42e6-9d9d-6349241517bc-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: kurt.pfeifle-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg @ 2015-06-25 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw; +Cc: raniere-Xhq86aZylhRTIXuwt5Zssw

Am Samstag, 4. April 2015 16:24:50 UTC+2 schrieb ServerMeta:

>> > yes! but better and open source.
>>
>> Awesome. If part of your code is already public please let me know.
>> I would like to be a beta tester.
>>

> do you work in the academic field?
>
> I'm planning to do a github release soon, but for full compatibility the
> install is 1gb+
>
> I will also publish an online server for development and debugging.
>
> First I would like to finalize the language to understand where I'm going.
>
> I hope to have a beta to show before the end of easter (2/3 days)

Has this happened? Did I miss it? Or was there some unexpected delay?

Thanks & Cheers. Kurt

@ 2016-01-19  8:44                       ` Stefan Björk
From: Stefan Björk @ 2016-01-19  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw; +Cc: raniere-Xhq86aZylhRTIXuwt5Zssw

You might want to consider forking ÜberWriter (
https://github.com/wolfv/uberwriter), which is (or was) a very good
pandoc-based markdown editor, but development has more or less stalled.

@ 2016-06-03 10:44                   ` Frank Colcord
       [not found]                     ` <48f467d5-d877-473b-a98f-38748b0cb74f-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Frank Colcord @ 2016-06-03 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss; +Cc: raniere-Xhq86aZylhRTIXuwt5Zssw

Hi, did you get anywhere with this? Did you ever look at gitit? Written by
the same person who wrote pandoc. It's a wiki.

https://github.com/jgm/gitit

It's not running on android, but I've asked about it.

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/pandoc-discuss/0TUiFPZVzjY/l_s2bCUIDAAJ

@ 2016-06-04 19:09                       ` mb21
       [not found]                         ` <54180984-07cd-484f-a98b-0b951e7b436d-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: mb21 @ 2016-06-04 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss; +Cc: raniere-Xhq86aZylhRTIXuwt5Zssw

@Frank, you might want to look at iA Writer which is available for android
as well, although it's not open source...

@ 2016-06-05 11:16                           ` Frank Colcord
From: Frank Colcord @ 2016-06-05 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi Mauro, last time I looked at that app it didn't support links between
documents which is the key feature in my own writing and a key feature of
gitit. F

                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-06-14 11:46   ` CR
From: CR @ 2016-06-14 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)