Thanks John & everybody for your warm reception of my proposal! Since the Font Awesome pilcrow seems to be the favorite, here is a flipped version to make a reversed pilcrow: [image: ReversedPilcrow.svg.png] This would be my proposal. I don't think it is necessary to explicitly encode the "doc" part through a "d". And as John says, the reversed pilcrow can also be seens as a combination of Pi with an appended filled D. But if you guys prefer it more explicitly, here is the double & flipped version Kolen suggested: [image: ReversedPilcrowDoubleFlipped.svg.png] Personally, I don't like the strong symmetry that much, it looks artifical to me. But one could argue that it reflects Pandoc's ability to convert both from and to many formats. To break the symmetry and also get closer to a regular "d", I experimented with removing the second stroke: [image: ReversedPilcrowDoubleFlippedTrimmed.svg.png] Do you like it? I've attached SVG versions. Carsten On Wednesday, December 4, 2019 at 4:58:54 PM UTC, John MacFarlane wrote: > > > I think there's a lot to be said for this idea -- the > font-awesome one looks good, as noted, because it's squarish. > It should be reversed so it doesn't look exactly like a normal > pilcrow. I like the idea of experimenting with putting it next > to a reversed version to evoke Pd, but we'd have to see what > that looks like. > > And it doesn't entirely give up the idea of using a universal > quantifier symbol. If you squint you can see a capital Greek Pi > next to something that looks like a filled in capital D. > Capital Pi is sometimes used for a universal (substitutional) > quantifier. So the logically inclined could still think of it > this way... > > Kolen Cheung > writes: > > > Good to revive this again (this topic has been resurrected a few times > > already!) > > > > I like that. Scaling that to act like a letter seems to make the tail > too > > long for many of them. I like the short tail ones, but all those does > not > > have a hole. I think something with a better proportion of the tails, > > double line, with a hole would be best. > > > > From the last experience, we almost got to the stage to finally have a > > logo. But when the draft design(s) is chosen, there's no good final > design. > > It seems like we were good at coming up with the ideas, but poor > (including > > me) to execute it since we are no digital artists. So the idea of using > a > > unicode character from font is good. I think similar suggestion has been > > made, so that we can use a good design with free license. But the > Pilcrow > > sign has not been suggested before and it seems a good choice to me. > > > > Hopefully most people will agree (including the most important person) > then > > we can move on to the stage to find a font that this character looks > best > > as a pandoc logo. > > > > Although there doesn't seem like a deep connection with a pilcrow sign > to > > pandoc, but it is something almost everyone has seen before (say writing > in > > Word with it visible.) And it fits quite naturally for pandoc which > process > > "all documents." The fact that some fonts render it like a P is a bonus. > > > > P.S. how about duplicate it and rotate the second one by 180ยบ to make it > > looks like Pd? The idea of "Pd" has come up earlier above. > > > > P.P.S. I recently have been thinking about using parametric curves in > polar > > coordinate to try to draw something resemble Pd. But I haven't sit down > and > > come up with the parameters, and frankly it seems too geeky. > > > > -- > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google > Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send > an email to pandoc-...-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org . > > To view this discussion on the web visit > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/c5eb6b62-8a6b-4e3c-9f15-1810f90bc4c4%40googlegroups.com. > > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/64f818e0-2e65-4ad5-80c8-35fa8d474037%40googlegroups.com.