* Corner case: Bullet list item starting with number with period
@ 2021-09-08 10:07 krulis....-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
       [not found] ` <35cb746c-1ee8-4fd4-b7fb-753caa8c5e1dn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: krulis....-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org @ 2021-09-08 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Recently I have hit upon a corner case which (I guess) wasnt probably
thought off. If you have bullet list item like so:

```{org}
- 11. and 12. 09. meeting
```

converting to pandoc AST yields (ran in Try pandoc):

```{native}
[BulletList [[OrderedList (1,DefaultStyle,DefaultDelim) [[Plain [Str
"and",Space,Str "12.",Space,Str "09.",Space,Str "meeting"]]]]]]
```

removing first number.

Running this:

```{org}
- 11. 09. meeting
```

removes even more:

```{native}
[BulletList [[OrderedList (1,DefaultStyle,DefaultDelim) [[OrderedList
(1,DefaultStyle,DefaultDelim) [[Plain [Str "meeting"]]]]]]]]
```

Meaning removes all numbers, whitespace, periods until alphabetic letters.

Markdown conversion acts a little differently -- anything that seems as a
start of ordered list is interpreted as such:

```{md}
- 11. 09. meeting
```

produces:

```{native}
[BulletList [[OrderedList (11,Decimal,Period) [[OrderedList
(9,Decimal,Period) [[Plain [Str "meeting"]]]]]]]]
```

and

```{md}
- 11. and 12. 09. meeting
```

produces:

```{native}
[BulletList [[OrderedList (11,Decimal,Period) [[Plain [Str "and",Space,Str
"12.",Space,Str "09.",Space,Str "meeting"]]]]]]
```

I guess that pandoc is making a pretty sensible assumption that all those
numbers ending with period are starting new ordered list from different
number than 1. But that breaks when using dates in start of a bullet list
item.

As far as I know pandoc doesnt have a "date" element, and I also think it
doesnt need one.

As proposed solution I think that another check in readers should be made
that all text after bullet mark should be considered regular text, until a
linebreak; or 2 linebreaks with text starting in column 2 (for items
spanning more than one paragraph).

I have hit upon this when converting Org mode to docx, in where the first
number is actually left off totally, so:

```{org}
- 11. and 12. 09. meeting
```

results in:

```{docx}
- and 12. 09. meeting
```

Which in my opinion is bug in all instances. If it would render ordered
list in bullet list (as it should with):

```{native}
[BulletList [[OrderedList (11,Decimal,Period) [[Plain [Str "and",Space,Str
"12.",Space,Str "09.",Space,Str "meeting"]]]]]]
```

it would be easier to notice, at least.

Can this corner case be resolved better? Should I make this a github issue?

* Re: Corner case: Bullet list item starting with number with period
       [not found] ` <35cb746c-1ee8-4fd4-b7fb-753caa8c5e1dn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-09-08 16:58   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <m2ilzb2ed7.fsf-jF64zX8BO0+FqBokazbCQ6OPv3vYUT2dxr7GGTnW70NeoWH0uzbU5w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-09-08 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: krulis....-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org, pandoc-discuss

If pandoc renders this differently than Emacs interprets it in
org-mode, then it can be considered a bug and should be reported
on the tracker.

@ 2021-09-09  9:15       ` krulis....-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
From: krulis....-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org @ 2021-09-09  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss