* tables in two-column latex output
@ 2015-01-25 15:52 Chris
       [not found] ` <7d108f14-395f-46c7-a8df-544ef10c6932-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Chris @ 2015-01-25 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I've recently been experimenting with drafting conference papers using
markdown and converting them to latex with pandoc. For this to me
worthwhile -- for me -- it's important that I can produce an almost-final
version using only a conference-specific template file. Ideally, I'd like
to be able to use "./confHelper.sh myMarkdown.txt myConferencePaper.pdf" to
get a submission-ready result.

There are a few issues I can live with, namely lack of an obvious markdown
replacement for the different flavors of \cite{} (e.g., \citeA, \citeNP) as
well as the need to update table and figure number references by hand, but
there is one blocker:

My papers tend to include tables, and conferences often use a two-column
environment. I've tried a couple of workarounds, like using
"\renewenvironment" in my template file to replace longtables with
tables-in-tabulars, but that breaks my captions. Can anyone recommend a
good solution?

* Re: tables in two-column latex output
       [not found] ` <7d108f14-395f-46c7-a8df-544ef10c6932-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-01-25 19:45   ` Mark Szepieniec
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Mark Szepieniec @ 2015-01-25 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I imagine you could solve this by writing a filter that takes Tables and
replaces them with RawLatex Inlines that use the table invocation command
that you are looking for.

@ 2015-01-27 16:09   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20150127160924.GE91984-bi+AKbBUZKbivNSvqvJHCtPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-01-27 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

This is a common request.  I'm really unhappy with the current
situation.  longtable is needed to prevent breakage for longer
tables, but it doesn't work with two-column and has some other
quirks.  Perhaps we could offer a command-line option to use
table instead of longtable.

+++ Chris [Jan 25 15 07:52 ]:

@ 2015-01-28 11:47       ` Chris
From: Chris @ 2015-01-28 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Mark: thanks for pointing that out. If I find myself with some spare time I
might give it a shot, but for the moment I think that would be a lot of
work for a fairly brittle and special-case solution.

John: thanks for weighing in. I think a command-line option would be great.
Obviously it'd be ideal if everything just worked with any environment, but
that'd be asking a lot of tex (and you!)

@ 2015-01-31 11:58   ` EBkysko
       [not found]     ` <65a97b74-8675-4b60-ae2f-2f0d520ab0a9-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: EBkysko @ 2015-01-31 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I successfully used the following solution once:
http://tex.stackexchange.com/a/224096

Don't know if it'll run in all situations though, and don't know the
caveats, so not sure it can be an official solution to put in default latex
template.

* Re: tables in two-column latex output
       [not found] ` <7d108f14-395f-46c7-a8df-544ef10c6932-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-07-04 17:12   ` kurt.pfeifle-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg
From: kurt.pfeifle-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg @ 2015-07-04 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I’m in the same situation…

I think I’ll temporarily solve it by writing my own template for two-column
outputs that does not use longtable. Probably I’ll be able to dig out from
Git an older versions of the Pandoc template for LaTeX from before the time
the switch to longtable happened. Just in case anybody has solved it
already more elegantly, please let me (and others) know about it…

Also, John had pondered about adding a command line option to Pandoc that
can switch from longtable to table on-the-fly. Is that still on the radar?
Or should I create an official request for this?

​

@ 2015-07-06 10:11       ` BPJ
       [not found]         ` <CADAJKhDFSE8j9hwpaDxoTRwh06Yg5GLheZPbe_7=+NqKAbdDgA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2015-07-06 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

That was my thought also, to temporarily switch to onecolumn for the table.
I wonder if it can be done without hacking the longtable definition? If
that is possible perhaps a  --twocolumn commandline option is the way to go?

@ 2015-07-06 19:04           ` BP Jonsson
From: BP Jonsson @ 2015-07-06 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I just wrote a filter which will cause Pandoc tables to be
rendered as tabular environments when generating LaTeX, either
globally or by wrapping tables which should be munged in specially
marked divs.

Documentation: <http://git.io/vqWND>

Code (Perl): <http://git.io/vqWWd>