* Fwd: Custom Python
       [not found] ` <CAAkRyrsEvSgF4F0i9ozT17E=9fbgxd_FHL9M33Z0346Y8t-QGg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-12-07 18:07   ` Alberto Simões
       [not found]     ` <CAAkRyrsp1PccvPmbnsF0F=zj0vg+tfz=nwJ9yMi_gkoKUQ6NHA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Alberto Simões @ 2021-12-07 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi

I use a custom python on my machine for my stuff. But for pandoc I want to
use the system one (do not want to install it myself, etc, et al).

pandoc does not run, because the python in the path is not the one that has
its modules installed.
Is there a environment variable or similar that I can use to define which
executable for python should be used?

I know I can change the path, but that is my second choice option >:-)
Thank you
Alberto
--
Alberto Simões
orcid: 0000-0001-6961-2660

* Re: Custom Python
       [not found]     ` <CAAkRyrsp1PccvPmbnsF0F=zj0vg+tfz=nwJ9yMi_gkoKUQ6NHA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-12-07 18:44       ` Alberto Simoes
       [not found]         ` <64ca648c-448d-4f23-9b3a-4f6a91a8963cn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Alberto Simoes @ 2021-12-07 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi again.

I managed to set the path (in the makefile), but somehow the child python
process called by pandoc is not the system one.
I even added a `which python3` line to guarantee the right one is found,
but no joy.

Any idea is welcome
Thanks
Alberto

@ 2021-12-07 18:49           ` Alberto Simoes
       [not found]             ` <892d440e-ed21-446b-85b9-4a481cf5dbddn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Alberto Simoes @ 2021-12-07 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi
Found the issue.
pandoc uses python, not python3. My python was (still) a python2.
Fixed now.
Thank you :)

@ 2021-12-07 21:21               ` Martin Hepp
       [not found]                 ` <765779B0-A0D3-46DA-8330-CC17A817A083-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Martin Hepp @ 2021-12-07 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I run Pandoc and all Pandoc-based workflows in virtual environments created with the conda package manager (https://github.com/conda/conda) as part of the Anaconda package (https://www.anaconda.com/products/individual), and can very much recommend that approach.

With this, you can create a well-defined Python environment with compatible versions of all components you need, independently from the other Python installations on your machine.

Pandoc is available from the regular conda channel:

https://anaconda.org/conda-forge/pandoc

Important Pandoc tools and extensions are available from community-maintained recipes in conda-forge, e.g.

https://anaconda.org/conda-forge/pandoc-crossref

https://anaconda.org/conda-forge/pandoc-plot

https://anaconda.org/conda-forge/panflute

With a virtual environment (or multiple) you can nicely handle version conflicts, eg. if a a new Pandoc release would require an updated Pandoc-Crossref release, and freeze a stable, compatible combination of tools.

Or you can use different versions of Python and Python packages for some tasks, e.g. executing code via Codebraid or Jupyter Notebooks, as compared to your core Pandoc environment.

It is even possible to run e.g. Atom and Markdown Preview Plus within such a conda environment with a suitable Bash script.

Note: This is straightforward on Linux and OS X machines; I have no experience how well this works on Windows.

Best wishes
Martin

> Am 07.12.2021 um 19:49 schrieb Alberto Simoes <hashashin-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>:
>

> Hi
> Found the issue.
> pandoc uses python, not python3. My python was (still) a python2.
> Fixed now.
> Thank you :)
>
>> On Tuesday, December 7, 2021 at 6:44:42 PM UTC Alberto Simoes wrote:
>> Hi again.
>>
>> I managed to set the path (in the makefile), but somehow the child python process called by pandoc is not the system one.
>> I even added a `which python3` line to guarantee the right one is found, but no joy.
>>
>> Any idea is welcome
>> Thanks
>> Alberto
>>
>>> On Tuesday, December 7, 2021 at 6:08:06 PM UTC Alberto Simoes wrote:
>>>

>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I use a custom python on my machine for my stuff. But for pandoc I want to use the system one (do not want to install it myself, etc, et al).
>>>
>>> pandoc does not run, because the python in the path is not the one that has its modules installed.
>>> Is there a environment variable or similar that I can use to define which executable for python should be used?
>>>
>>> I know I can change the path, but that is my second choice option >:-)
>>> Thank you
>>> Alberto
>>> --
>>> Alberto Simões
>>> orcid: 0000-0001-6961-2660
>>> Coordinator of Master's on Applied Artificial Intelligence
>>> 2Ai Lab - Applied Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, IPCA
>>>

> --

* Re: Custom Python
       [not found]                 ` <765779B0-A0D3-46DA-8330-CC17A817A083-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-12-09 12:02                   ` Sébastien Boisgérault