* How to include Cyrillic Characters in Markdown for Pandoc
@ 2021-02-03  6:22 'Marek Stepanek' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found] ` <e0035a33-490e-4a7f-83e4-58a081eb5988n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: 'Marek Stepanek' via pandoc-discuss @ 2021-02-03  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello all! Hope I will not be banned from this list. My minimal working
example became a maximal (much too long) not working example. Questions are
in this Markdown document. For beginners: save the two files, change into
the folder with your shell, and issue `make` ...

Thank you for your answers.

marek

***save as cyrillic_test.md***
---
documentclass: scrartcl
fontsize: 12pt
pagesize: a4paper
lang: de
header-includes:
- \usepackage{fancyhdr}
- \pagestyle{fancy}
- \lhead{Pandoc, Cyrillic, Markdown to PDF}
- \rhead{\today}
colorlinks:
 red
urlcolor:
 blue
include-before:
- |
 ```{=latex}
 \begin{center}
 \hfill \break%
 \Huge{ Include Cyrillic in Markdown for Pandoc }\\[0.5em]
 \Large{ Test-Paper to solve an Encoding Problem }\\[1.2em]
 \Large{ University of Homeoffice }\\[1.2em]
 \Large{ Klasse: Ambrosius Anonymus }\\[1.2em]
 \large{ Last Edit: Munich \today}\\[1.5em]
 \end{center}
 ```
- \tableofcontents
---

# How to include Cyrillic Characters in Markdown for Pandoc

## Foreword

Original Thread: <https://groups.google.com/g/pandoc-discuss/c/xBZxIfEH1vI>

I am on Catalina, Newest `Pandoc` installed via `Homebrew`. I am using
`Pandoc > Mardkown > LaTeX > PDF`.^[comp. the `Makefile`]

<!--
I tried with

header-includes:
- \usepackage[english,russian,main=german]{babel}
- \usepackage[T1,T2A]{fontenc}
- \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
-->

## How to insert Cyrillic Text into Markdown

- My questions are: How to choose a character-set with Cyrillic script
^[Cyrillic: from code point ux0400 to ux04FF)]; how to know, whether for
example Arial in `/System/Library/Fonts/Supplemental` has this alphabet
included?^[Just now before posting I discovered in `Font Book.app`: choose
`Arial` then `View > Language > Russian`]
- From where I choose the fonts:\
  + `/System/Library/Fonts/Supplemental`
  + `/System/Library/Fonts/`
  + `~/Library/Fonts`
  + `/usr/local/texlive/2020/texmf-dist/fonts/`

<!--
Uncomment for testing:
Bongard Problem [Михаил Моисеевич Бонгард]{lang=ru}
-->

When issuing `make` with a snippet in Cyrillic in the Markdown Original I
get following error:

```
Error producing PDF.
! Package polyglossia Error: The current latin font latinmodern-math.otf(3)\
does not contain the "Cyrillic" script!
(polyglossia)\
Please define \cyrillicfont with \newfontfamily command.
```

Apparently the font `latinmodern-math.otf` resides in:
`/System/Volumes/Data/texlive/2019/\
texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/lm-math/latinmodern-math.otf`^[What is
that? A huge folder, and my Texlive is from 2020! Is this a sort of Backup?
May I delete this `texlive` folder?] and
`/usr/local/texlive/2020/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/\
lm-math/latinmodern-math.otf`. I have to choose my character set from here?
Converting with `Pandoc` the font is certainly chosen in the \LaTeX{}
install automatically. No need to define the path to the font. Right?

Inserting in the YAML Headers:

```

header-includes:
- \usepackage[T1,T2A]{fontenc}
- \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
- \usepackage[english,russian,main=german]{babel}

```

is not working. Thank you for your patience. And for this long text.

***End***

***save as Makefile***
all: save typeset open

.PHONY: all
save:

typeset:
pandoc                           \
 --from         markdown       \
 --to           latex           \
 --out cyrillic_test.pdf \
 --pdf-engine xelatex \
 cyrillic_test.md

open:
open cyrillic_test.pdf

***End***

* Re: How to include Cyrillic Characters in Markdown for Pandoc
       [not found] ` <e0035a33-490e-4a7f-83e4-58a081eb5988n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-02-03 22:39   ` Julien Dutant
       [not found]     ` <f57e721f-4dd4-41e4-8176-a1608ed22655n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Julien Dutant @ 2021-02-03 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Try adding this to the header-include section (you probably have these
fonts, but change if appropriate):

- \newfontfamily{\cyrillicfont}{Georgia}
- \newfontfamily{\cyrillicfontsf}{Arial}

Cf.
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/318394/sans-monospace-font-for-otherlanguage
 and
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/539296/overleafs-polyglossia-package-with-cyrillic-fonts

for some background.

Best,

Julien

@ 2021-02-03 22:45       ` Julien Dutant
       [not found]         ` <c5bc08a1-ec62-40f0-9520-f2a48809bcden-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Julien Dutant @ 2021-02-03 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

For a MWE, run

pandoc test.md --pdf-engine xelatex -o output.pdf
on the following saved as `test.md`:

---
documentclass: scrartcl
lang: de