I think I've solved this by changing the template so that it sets the height and width of images to fairly large percentages of the page *regardless* of their original size. Right now, the template only scales up, not down, via these lines: \def\maxwidth{\ifdim\Gin@nat@width>\linewidth\linewidth\else\Gin@nat@width\ fi} \def\maxheight{\ifdim\Gin@nat@height>\textheight\textheight\else\ Gin@nat@height\fi} I've commented these out and put in this line just below them, in place of the corresponding original: \setkeys{Gin}{width=\linewidth,height=0.9\textheight,keepaspectratio} I also use the Boadilla theme which gives smaller margins, it looks like, at least on the left and right. This seems to work OK with columns, too, though I haven't played around too much with it. In-line images require height and width attributes in order to work (though that may be true with the original template as well). -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To post to this group, send email to pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/677b45e1-8d0c-4e53-bad7-4f6da21c91f8%40googlegroups.com. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.