* Apple iWork Pages as input format
@ 2017-11-03 18:21 Cheyo Jimenez
       [not found] ` <2c90e63a-60e9-454d-9698-b7fb956586e1-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Cheyo Jimenez @ 2017-11-03 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

What is the possibility of adding support for converting Apple Pages to
markdown?

A .pages file is just a zip file with metadata. The actual content lives
in iwa files I believe.

https://github.com/obriensp/iWorkFileFormat/blob/master/Docs/index.md

Pages comes free with macOS and I believe most people use it.

Even though it exports to .docx, the actual save file is .pages even after
opening a doc file, it converts it back to a .pages file for edit.

It would be great If there was a way I could run pandoc on my whole drive
and make more portable copies of these documents I have.

[-- Attachment #2: helloWord.pages --]
[-- Type: application/x-iwork-pages-sffpages, Size: 521552 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: helloWord.zip --]
[-- Type: application/zip, Size: 521552 bytes --]

* Re: Apple iWork Pages as input format
       [not found] ` <2c90e63a-60e9-454d-9698-b7fb956586e1-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-11-03 18:52   ` Daniel Staal
From: Daniel Staal @ 2017-11-03 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 11/3/17 2:21 PM, Cheyo Jimenez wrote:

> What is the possibility of adding support for converting Apple Pages to
> markdown?
>
> A .pages file is just a zip file with metadata. The actual content lives
> in iwa files I believe.
>
> https://github.com/obriensp/iWorkFileFormat/blob/master/Docs/index.md
>
> Pages comes free with macOS and I believe most people use it.
>
> Even though it exports to .docx, the actual save file is .pages even
> after opening a doc file, it converts it back to a .pages file for edit.
>
> It would be great If there was a way I could run pandoc on my whole
> drive and make more portable copies of these documents I have.

Just as a warning: This is likely to be hard.  The link you have there
is really the only documentation on that file format - and it's
unofficial, and ~5 years old.  The initial versions of Pages the rest of
the iWork suite worked in XML, but that was over a decade ago and
they've been using proprietary binary for a while.  And you'll note that
Pandoc doesn't support any binary file types, just text-based types.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.