* Got this error on Linux' one
@ 2022-06-21  9:27 almaghfuur lahu
       [not found] ` <6a390800-289b-4932-9d26-b6158f76aa11n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: almaghfuur lahu @ 2022-06-21  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

*$ pandoc GENIe_scripting_reference.md -o GENIe_scripting_reference.pdf*
*YAML parse exception at line 9, column 9: mapping values are not allowed
in this context*

Any knowledge on what's goin on and its solution ?

* Re: Got this error on Linux' one
       [not found] ` <6a390800-289b-4932-9d26-b6158f76aa11n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-06-21  9:37   ` William Lupton
       [not found]     ` <CAEe_xxje9j4rC3a9MtNSgeDocvStDsycapBS0y8GBo0Mo3qfDg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: William Lupton @ 2022-06-21  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

probably a syntax error in a YAML metadata block. can you provide the input
(or at least the first part of it)?

@ 2022-06-21  9:55       ` almaghfuur lahu
       [not found]         ` <4ce1cfe9-8c01-4882-af2d-38ffacb7df3cn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: almaghfuur lahu @ 2022-06-21  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

The .md file is github's

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m2mlt7fg6WiI5OpCMPAhuG7uSjWdzB16/view?usp=sharing

@ 2022-06-21 10:37           ` William Lupton
       [not found]             ` <CAEe_xxjEx9ttLuEmyb=0N7nJ8=o5T689krJVTgPFJQRPVTvnkw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: William Lupton @ 2022-06-21 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Ah, I think that horizontal rules are getting interpreted as YAML metadata
block delimiters.

I tried changing all "---" to "- - -" (
https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#horizontal-rules) and everything is now fine.

Perhaps there are some heuristics that control whether pandoc decides that
a given block is YAML. Maybe lines like this one are being taken to be YAML?

`_ACTION: "vs2005"`

 I don't know whether there's a way around this without editing the input
file.

@ 2022-06-21 13:21               ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]                 ` <87a6a6nmug.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2022-06-21 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

William Lupton <wlupton-QSt+ys/nuMyEUIsrzH9SikB+6BGkLq7r@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Perhaps there are some heuristics that control whether pandoc decides
> that a given block is YAML. Maybe lines like this one are being taken
> to be YAML?

The heuristic applied by pandoc is "if there's a line containing the
string `---`, and if that line is not followed by a blank line, and if
there's a closing `---` later in the text, then treat it as a YAML
block.

So adding a blank line after `---` should fix this as well.

--
Albert Krewinkel

@ 2022-06-21 15:02                   ` William Lupton
       [not found]                     ` <CAEe_xximH93ZyPmbVwPUVonnwTBgj1WB-2x2GMF_+bBefAW=EA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: William Lupton @ 2022-06-21 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks. Is that documented? From a quick scan I didn't see it at
https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#extension-yaml_metadata_block (but maybe I
missed it).

@ 2022-06-21 23:43                       ` almaghfuur lahu
       [not found]                         ` <0c95c0e6-1558-468b-b224-278d99c31332n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: almaghfuur lahu @ 2022-06-21 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I forgot i'd better believe i put wrong command. Here'd be the valid one:

*$ pandoc -f markdown -t pdf  GENIe_scripting_reference.md -o
GENIe_scripting_reference.pdfpandoc: GENIe_scripting_reference.md:
openBinaryFile: does not exist (No such file or directory)*

as i'm noob in mark up/down file processing, still have no idea how to
solve it

@ 2022-06-22  8:24                           ` William Lupton
       [not found]                             ` <CAEe_xxgjXZhV3XqOpstoPrsbsEiCidqG72Prx9SnL=C1tRAq7Q-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: William Lupton @ 2022-06-22  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I'm confused. You seem to have taken a step back (the latest error is
saying that the input file doesn't exist). You started with this:

*$ pandoc GENIe_scripting_reference.md -o GENIe_scripting_reference.pdf*
*YAML parse exception at line 9, column 9: mapping values are not allowed
in this context*

Starting with the downloaded file, this worked for me:

*$ perl -pe 's/^---$/---\n/igs' GENIe_scripting_reference.md
>GENIe_scripting_reference.fixed.md
<http://GENIe_scripting_reference.fixed.md>$ pandoc
GENIe_scripting_reference.fixed.md
<http://GENIe_scripting_reference.fixed.md> -o
GENIe_scripting_reference.pdf*

Note that Albert's suggestion (i.e., ensure that "---" lines are always
followed by a blank line) is much better than mine. My suggestion caused
problems with unintentional tables (due, I suppose, to "- - -" lines not
being followed by blank lines).

William

@ 2022-06-22  8:50                               ` William Lupton
       [not found]                                 ` <CAEe_xxjFnjwXaRVdm41TOxQqg8C8xpFR+376pWaUFCuo5wBwLg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>