After a bunch of investigation, I wanted to post what I figured out in case someone else comes across this. Pandoc will happily apply a custom style on whatever span or div you tell it to, but in this case the built-in "Strong" style is for a paragraph, not a character. Since I was trying to apply it to a span, Pandoc made a new style for characters, and then incremented the name so it wouldn't clash with the existing paragraph one. The same thing happens in reverse, if you try to apply a character style to a div. It makes sense once you understand it, but was definitely confusing to try and figure out. Maybe worth adding some admonitions in the document, but I know it's not meant as a tutorial for the docx format. On Thursday, May 19, 2022 at 6:33:53 AM UTC+3 Shane Liesegang wrote: > That was my understanding of that line in the documentation, too. But I'm > not sure if my understanding is wrong (and I can't do this), or if the > documentation is wrong (and the current behavior is intended), or if the > current behavior is wrong (and it's a bug). > > On Monday, May 16, 2022 at 12:43:11 PM UTC+3 denis...-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org wrote: > >> I would have expected the same given the documentation says «For docx >> output, styles will be defined in the output file as inheriting from normal >> text, if the styles are not yet in your reference.docx. If they are already >> defined, pandoc will not alter the definition.» >> >> >> >> *Von:* pandoc-...-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org *Im >> Auftrag von *Shane Liesegang >> *Gesendet:* Sonntag, 15. Mai 2022 14:28 >> *An:* pandoc-discuss >> *Betreff:* Manually apply styles to output docx? >> >> >> >> I've customized a reference.docx file for applying styles to an exported >> Word document, and am attempting to follow the instructions from the Custom >> Styles section of the >> manual. If I'm reading the documentation right (and I may not be!) if I >> attempt to apply a custom style that is already defined in the reference >> document, it will not redefine it but apply the existing style. >> >> >> >> However, when I do something like this in markdown+bracketed_spans: >> >> >> >> [my strong text]{custom-style="Strong"} >> >> >> >> And there is already a "Strong" style in the reference file, I find the >> span instead has a new style applied to it called "Strong1". >> >> >> >> Is there any way I can manually apply styles to Markdown text for docx >> output? >> >> >> >> Thanks for any help / letting me know where I misunderstand. >> >> -- >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups >> "pandoc-discuss" group. >> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an >> email to pandoc-discus...-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org >> To view this discussion on the web visit >> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/2a9a59ee-359b-4670-a140-234fb4c52311n%40googlegroups.com >> >> . >> > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/68b882c7-aeb6-47dc-9308-2d1054fdc119n%40googlegroups.com.