* Fun with 'pandoc lua'
@ 2023-01-19 17:25 John MacFarlane
       [not found] ` <208248AE-608E-4E19-AA46-C902BE91FBE9-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2023-01-19 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Pandoc 3.0 can be used as a lua interpreter, with full access to the Lua API:

$ cat test.lua
local formats = {"latex", "html5", "docbook", "ms"}
local doc = (pandoc.read("> *hello* world!", "markdown"))
for _,format in ipairs(formats) do
  print(string.format("%s:\n%s\n\n", format, pandoc.write(doc, format)))
end

$ pandoc lua test.lua
latex:
\begin{quote}
\emph{hello} world!
\end{quote}

[WARNING] The term Abstract has no translation defined.
html5:

docbook:
  <para>
    <emphasis>hello</emphasis> world!
  </para>

ms:
.QS
.LP
\f[I]hello\f[R] world!
.QE

Albert: do you know why we get that warning?

* Re: Fun with 'pandoc lua'
       [not found] ` <208248AE-608E-4E19-AA46-C902BE91FBE9-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-01-19 18:08   ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]     ` <875yd2mm3i.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2023-01-19 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

John MacFarlane <fiddlosopher-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Pandoc 3.0 can be used as a lua interpreter, with full access to the Lua API:
>
> $ cat test.lua
> local formats = {"latex", "html5", "docbook", "ms"}
> local doc = (pandoc.read("> *hello* world!", "markdown"))
> for _,format in ipairs(formats) do
>   print(string.format("%s:\n%s\n\n", format, pandoc.write(doc, format)))
> end
>
> [...]
>
> latex:
> [WARNING] The term Abstract has no translation defined.
>
> Albert: do you know why we get that warning?

No clue, sorry

--
Albert Krewinkel

* Re: Fun with 'pandoc lua'
       [not found]     ` <875yd2mm3i.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-01-20  0:45       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]         ` <EF2D1F45-A155-4DA5-9C4B-12D21F46B6D8-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2023-01-20  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I think I see what is happening. HTML writer has:

  abstractTitle <- translateTerm Abstract

And apparently the term isn’t defined. Why not?  Well, normally it would be defined by configureCommonState, whic his run at the beginning of convertWithOpts’. This sets the user data directory, tracing options, verbosity, the resource path, the input and output file variables, request headers, and translations (based on `lang` in metadata).

I’m not sure how we should deal with this is a Lua context.  Perhaps Lua initialization should include running configureCommonState?  There seems to be no way to load the translations manually from Lua.

> On Jan 19, 2023, at 10:08 AM, Albert Krewinkel <albert+pandoc@zeitkraut.de> wrote:
>

> John MacFarlane <fiddlosopher-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> Pandoc 3.0 can be used as a lua interpreter, with full access to the Lua API:
>>
>> $ cat test.lua
>> local formats = {"latex", "html5", "docbook", "ms"}
>> local doc = (pandoc.read("> *hello* world!", "markdown"))
>> for _,format in ipairs(formats) do
>>  print(string.format("%s:\n%s\n\n", format, pandoc.write(doc, format)))
>> end
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> latex:
>> [WARNING] The term Abstract has no translation defined.
>>
>> Albert: do you know why we get that warning?
>
> No clue, sorry
>

> --
> Albert Krewinkel
> GPG: 8eed e3e2 e8c5 6f18 81fe  e836 388d c0b2 1f63 1124
>
> --

* Re: Fun with 'pandoc lua'
       [not found]         ` <EF2D1F45-A155-4DA5-9C4B-12D21F46B6D8-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-01-20 18:04           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2023-01-20 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

OK, now I see that in runPandocWithLua we simply carry over the common state that had already been established.  So that's why we don't get this message in normal conversions -- but we get it when we run the lua engine without going through convertWithOpts, which sets up common state for us.

Albert, how about exporting configureCommonState from T.P.App and then using it to configure the common state when pandoc is used as a Lua interpreter?  (I guess this would be in runLuaInterpreter in pandoc-cli.)