* ignorenonframetext in default.latex
@ 2020-09-13 18:36 Thomas Hodgson
       [not found] ` <69361063-4c69-4403-85c7-31d943d138fdn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Thomas Hodgson @ 2020-09-13 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

The default.latex template uses the 'ignorenonframetext' for Beamer. Is
there a good reason for this? If that was removed from the template, there
would be no need to handle making titles differently for beamer and other
formats, i.e., it could be done with `\maketitle` in both cases. I think
that that's better when using themes that treat a title slide differently
from ordinary slides (such as Metropolis).

* Re: ignorenonframetext in default.latex
       [not found] ` <69361063-4c69-4403-85c7-31d943d138fdn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-09-13 19:23   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <m2mu1th46i.fsf-jF64zX8BO08an7k8zZ43ob9bIa4KchGshsV+eolpW18@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-09-13 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Hodgson, pandoc-discuss

We used to ignore stuff outside of frames.
However, this changed with
https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/commit/f431f67b2f2f5071345fa5800658375afaf44c1b
(somewhat controversially)

It may be that after this commit, removing ignorenonframetext
would be okay.  Maybe someone can test that out (with a lot of
different cases, please).

@ 2020-09-13 20:26       ` Thomas Hodgson
       [not found]         ` <2a37b9d4-8b50-4764-950b-d97f2701f8f4n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Thomas Hodgson @ 2020-09-13 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Is there a case where it would be expected that something would be written
outside a frame, and that it should be ignored?

I have checked the modified template with sections, and with subsections,
and without either.

@ 2020-09-13 21:04           ` Thomas Hodgson
       [not found]             ` <8d3b5815-bc30-4113-9683-11c166866e32n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Thomas Hodgson @ 2020-09-13 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Here is something that would be different after the change:

A md like this:

```
# Foo

Foo

## Bar

Bar
```

The command: `$ pandoc --slide-level=2 -t beamer -o test.tex test.md`
produces LaTeX where there is text ('Foo') outside of a frame. If
ignorefametext is removed from the template, doing $ pandoc --slide-level=2
-t beamer -o test.pdf test.md` would give different results, i.e., 'Foo'
would now be printed on a new slide after the section, rather than not
appearing at all.

@ 2020-09-13 21:36               ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                 ` <m28sddgy0t.fsf-jF64zX8BO08an7k8zZ43ob9bIa4KchGshsV+eolpW18@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-09-13 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Hodgson, pandoc-discuss

What version of pandoc are you using?

With recent pandoc, you do get a slide with Foo
with this input.

@ 2020-09-13 22:42                   ` Thomas Hodgson
From: Thomas Hodgson @ 2020-09-13 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I'm using 2.5, the one that Ubuntu 20.04 has. Sorry, I should have realised
that there might be a difference between that and the latest version.

@ 2022-01-19 16:27               ` Paul Gesting
       [not found]                 ` <81339d69-ff5e-4f9e-8ee5-1d7ba12a9d7dn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Paul Gesting @ 2022-01-19 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I actually have a use case where I would like text under a section title to
be outside of a frame. See the question I posted here
<https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/630390/add-a-beamer-note-to-a-section-slide-using-pandoc-and-markdown>
.

Basically, if I want to add a note to a section title, I do not want a
blank frame to be added for the note. I want the note on the section frame.
Is this still possible after the change that is cited above?

@ 2022-01-19 17:55                   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                     ` <m2v8yftxtc.fsf-jF64zX8BO0+FqBokazbCQ6OPv3vYUT2dxr7GGTnW70NeoWH0uzbU5w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-01-19 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Gesting, pandoc-discuss

What happens if you do this (with current pandoc)?

% pandoc -t beamer -s -o my.pdf --slide-level=2
# Hi

::: notes
note
:::

## Slide

ok
^D

When I tried this, I did not get an extra page after the section
heading "Hi".  (But I'm not sure how to view the notes with
beamer.)

Actually, the manual says that "notes" divs are only supported
for powerpoint and reveal.js.  This seems wrong, because beamer
does now seem to support them.  So perhaps the manual needs
updating?  But how do you actually use the speaker notes with
beamer?

@ 2022-01-19 19:26                       ` Paul Gesting
       [not found]                         ` <5bfb6c9d-5237-4849-8dd8-26b6a81f7af9n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Paul Gesting @ 2022-01-19 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi John,

Thanks for the quick reply! That was one of the first things I tried. The
::: notes block does the exact same thing as simply \note{...}. Both of
them add a frame. Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my tex.se question, but the
reason I put both the ::: notes block and the \note{...} command was to
show that both give the exact same result in the .text file that I showed.

Thanks!
paul

@ 2022-01-19 19:41                       ` Paul Gesting
From: Paul Gesting @ 2022-01-19 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Sorry John, I forgot to answer your last question!

Yes, the ::: notes div does work with beamer. Pandoc simply translates it
into \note{...} in the tex file (see the tex code in my tex.se question).
So I think it is actually pandoc that is supporting it for beamer, not
beamer itself.

What you can do with beamer (see the beamer manual, chapter 22,
specifically 22.2), is to have a second "set" of slides with your personal
notes. Technically they are typeset next to each other in a double wide
document. But then there are multiple pdf viewers that will split it across
multiple screens. So then on one screen you have your slides (your
projector or screen share) and then on the other screen (laptop) you have
your notes along with a preview of the upcoming slide, etc.

So I want some notes on the section slide to remind me of what to talk
about, even on section slides.

If I simply remove the \begin{frame} and \end{frame} from around the
\note{...} and then re-compile with latex, it works as expected. Which
means that beamer can handle the \note{...} command outside a frame (as
expected, see ch 19 in the beamer documentation). So all I really need is a
way to "bypass" pandoc creating a frame. I have tried all the ways of
passing pure LaTeX that I can find in the pandoc manual, and they all
create a frame.

I understand wanting to keep it so that reveal.js and beamer "act" the same
normally. However, this doesn't necessarily mean that there cannot be some
option to bypass this normal way of working to pass pure LaTeX commands,
right? I know it would mean extra development work (if it is not already
possible), but it appears there are are at least 2 use cases for it.

@ 2022-01-19 19:49                           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                             ` <yh480kiluf5wvb.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-01-19 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Gesting, pandoc-discuss

It didn't add a frame for me when I tried it...
Are you using an up-to-date pandoc?

@ 2022-01-19 19:53                               ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                                 ` <yh480kfspj5wov.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-01-19 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Gesting, pandoc-discuss

Scratch that...I see now that it does create the extra
slide.

Well, I think we can fix that.  If you submit an issue
on our GitHub tracker, it will help me keep track.
And mention in the issue that the manual needs to
be updated to reflect that speaker notes work with
beamer, too.

@ 2022-01-20  5:40                                   ` Paul Gesting
       [not found]                                     ` <34cc5349-a24d-494f-8abe-cd7cbf2994f0n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Paul Gesting @ 2022-01-20  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi John,

I am using 2.11.2 on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and it adds it, as you saw. I created
two issues: One for the feature request
<https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/7857> and one for the documentation
<https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/7856>.

Thanks again for all your help and for how incredibly useful pandoc is!

@ 2022-01-21  5:40                                       ` Paul Gesting
       [not found]                                         ` <4a30c413-8ce3-4269-afb9-848f328b8a2dn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Paul Gesting @ 2022-01-21  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi John,

Thanks so much for the quick fix, I really appreciate it!

@ 2023-07-07 14:14                                           ` Stephan Boltzmann
From: Stephan Boltzmann @ 2023-07-07 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss