* APA citations: page number only (or at end)?
@ 2021-04-01 11:36 Joseph Reagle
       [not found] ` <122039ca-c6cc-d875-8273-d406b1b29648-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2021-04-01 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I haven't used the author/year format in a while and I wonder what's the current best practice for the typical APA pattern:

```
According to Jones (1998), "students often had difficulty using APA style, especially when it was their first time" (p. 199).
```

Do we still have to manually format the page number?

```
According to @Jones1998, "students often had difficulty using APA style, especially when it was their first time" (p. 199).
```

Instead of suppressing author and year (with a double hyphen, for example):

```
According to @Jones1998, "students often had difficulty using APA style, especially when it was their first time" [--@Jones1998, p. 199].
```

* Re: APA citations: page number only (or at end)?
       [not found] ` <122039ca-c6cc-d875-8273-d406b1b29648-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-04-01 13:21   ` Joseph Reagle
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2021-04-01 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Also, has any thought been given to the processing of apostrophes with citations such that the following would work:

```
as well as @Sanger2014hwc's interest in
```

instead of needing to:

```
as well as Sanger's [-@Sanger2014hwc] interest in
```

@ 2021-04-05 18:45   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <m27dlgsh7m.fsf-jF64zX8BO08an7k8zZ43ob9bIa4KchGshsV+eolpW18@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-04-05 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Reagle, pandoc-discuss

I've been wanting this too.  You could propose on the tracker
a way to specify just the locator.  I don't know about the syntax
though.  Maybe double dash would work well, as you suggest.
Does anyone have any reactions to this one way or the other?

@ 2021-04-05 19:45       ` Joseph Reagle
       [not found]         ` <2802e8ed-9819-2c8d-b313-960c963ef03d-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2021-04-05 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Okay:

locator only citation (at end of sentence) #7205

https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/7205

apostrophe's within citations #7206

https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/7206

@ 2021-04-06 22:35           ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2021-04-06 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I usually just put the author at the end.

But FWIW, and I'm not sure how well it would translate to a plain text
context like this, Frank Bennett added the ability to add "infixes" to
citations using citeproc-js.

https://citeproc-js.readthedocs.io/en/latest/running.html#special-citation-forms

@ 2021-06-15 18:33       ` Joseph Reagle
       [not found]         ` <71436f8b-fd87-b055-01f2-db80a62746bb-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2021-06-15 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

#7206 is closed, but I think it merits re-opening as there is one bug and one issue -- running 2.14.0.2.

First, if there's another apostrophe in the sentence, the smart punctuation is backwards.
Second, I expected the apostrophe to be on the last last name, not after the parentheses.

https://reagle.org/joseph/2016/04/min-eg/cite-apostrophe.md ->

https://reagle.org/joseph/2016/04/min-eg/cite-apostrophe.html

@ 2021-06-15 19:37           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <m2pmwm2a37.fsf-jF64zX8BO0+FqBokazbCQ6OPv3vYUT2dxr7GGTnW70NeoWH0uzbU5w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-06-15 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Reagle, pandoc-discuss

You can submit new issues for these if you like (two separate
ones please).  But I don't know if I'm inclined to do anything
about the first one.  We'd need some magic method of converting
material after the citation into a suffix of the name.  Sometimes
you want this, sometimes y,ou don't.

@ 2021-06-16 11:50               ` Joseph Reagle
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2021-06-16 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss