* Cross references - AsciiDoc to DocBook to Pandoc to Word
@ 2020-11-24 18:15 Peter Conrad
       [not found] ` <aa6404be-1bce-4a9d-b3b5-0a88ef6e6776n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Peter Conrad @ 2020-11-24 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I'm impressed to discover that cross-references survive the convoluted
journey from AsciiDoc to Word. I'm going to Word because it makes it very
easy to format a PDF just the way I want. But I can't figure out how to do
what I want, which is to get a cross-reference in the format:

See "Section name" on page ##.

In Word, this is typically two references (one for the section name, one
for the page number). Is there a way to do this in AsciiDoc that Pandoc
will understand?

Peter

* Re: Cross references - AsciiDoc to DocBook to Pandoc to Word
       [not found] ` <aa6404be-1bce-4a9d-b3b5-0a88ef6e6776n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-11-24 18:22   ` Joseph Reagle
       [not found]     ` <d9ed963e-b1c9-dd0e-49e4-4f32039477dc-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2020-11-24 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 11/24/20 1:15 PM, Peter Conrad wrote:
> See "Section name" on page ##.
>
> In Word, this is typically two references (one for the section name, one for the page number). Is there a way to do this in AsciiDoc that Pandoc will understand?

Not natively in markdown or AsciiDoc as the page number is going to change given how you format/paginate it in Word. I don't know if you could insert/embed Word syntax into markdown/AsciiDoc...

@ 2020-11-24 18:58       ` stymied-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w
       [not found]         ` <CA+Z_NkRHPvAKSRpsq7pOuybx408QxDyz39j_LeYXLOYaMzN5WA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: stymied-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w @ 2020-11-24 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

That makes sense. But it seems like something DocBook should be able to do,
have a reference that gets eventually rendered to a page number. And
therefore something AsciiDoc should be able to tell DocBook to do.

Ah well, if not then not!

@ 2020-11-24 20:18           ` Joseph Reagle
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2020-11-24 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stymied-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w; +Cc: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 11/24/20 1:58 PM, stymied-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org wrote:
> That makes sense. But it seems like something DocBook should be able to do, have a reference that gets eventually rendered to a page number. And therefore something AsciiDoc should be able to tell DocBook to do.

A couple of years ago, we had a simpler discussion on how to force page breaks in the resulting Word. A page break within the XML wrapped up in the docx file is `<w:p><w:r><w:br w:type=\"page\"/></w:r></w:p>`.  This is much simpler than a page reference -- and I have no idea how Word represents those -- but if you know you might be able to effect the same thing by way of a filter and/or the docx template.

https://groups.google.com/g/pandoc-discuss/c/FzLrhk0vVbU