* eliminate styles for docx
@ 2019-09-20 20:35 Chris Corbett
       [not found] ` <bc70a725-5c2b-4ef5-aec9-ba9da8d56fcb-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Chris Corbett @ 2019-09-20 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I'm a pandoc newbie and I've searched the group, but haven't found out how
to do what I want to do.

I have a business application that is producing text file reports that are
sent to the printer using enscript which basically is sending it using a
single non-proportional font.   The code producing the report ensures that
everything has the correct alignment up by having the right amount of
spaces between each column.

I have a requirement to convert this report to a docx file because we want
to have the ability to draw a signature on it.  So I'm using pandoc to do
that conversion.  But when I do that, I end up with a document with
multiple styles and its messing up all of the alignment.

I've just spent the last couple of hours manipulating all of the styles
setup within my document.   But I'm not getting very far, very fast.  Is
there a way that I can add a tag to my input file to force pandoc to use a
single style for everything?  I'm not sure what is polite on this group, so
I'm not attaching anything.  But I would be happy to do so if it would help
anyone help me.

Thanks!

* Re: eliminate styles for docx
       [not found] ` <bc70a725-5c2b-4ef5-aec9-ba9da8d56fcb-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-09-21 17:53   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <m2o8zd35a6.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-09-21 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Corbett, pandoc-discuss

What format are you converting from?
Simplest thing would be to put the whole thing in a code
block (except the signature); then it will all be monospace in Word.

@ 2019-09-21 21:20       ` Chris Corbett
From: Chris Corbett @ 2019-09-21 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John MacFarlane; +Cc: pandoc-discuss

I am converting from a simple Unix text file.  What you are suggesting
seems exactly what I need.   I searched the docs for code block.  And I
think if I just put ~~~ at the top and end of the file, I should be good.
Please let me know if there is a better way to do this.  Thanks!

@ 2019-09-22 11:33   ` John Muccigrosso
From: John Muccigrosso @ 2019-09-22 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Silly question maybe, but what happens if you just put a ".docx" extension
on the text file? On my Mac with version 11 of Word, it asks what line
endings to use and then just opens as monospaced text.

@ 2019-09-23 13:11   ` Emmanuel Charpentier
From: Emmanuel Charpentier @ 2019-09-23 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

From the goddamn' documentation <https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html>:

   - -B FILE, --include-before-body=FILE|URL

Include contents of FILE, verbatim, at the beginning of the document body
(e.g. after the <body> tag in HTML, or the \begin{document} command in
LaTeX). This can be used to include navigation bars or banners in HTML
documents. This option can be used repeatedly to include multiple files.
They will be included in the order specified. Implies --standalone.

   - -A FILE, --include-after-body=FILE|URL

Include contents of FILE, verbatim, at the end of the document body (before
the </body> tag in HTML, or the \end{document} command in LaTeX). This
option can be used repeatedly to include multiple files. They will be
included in the order specified. Implies --standalone.

with the corresponding "structural variables":

   - include-before

contents specified by -B/--include-before-body (may have multiple values)

   - include-after

contents specified by -A/--include-after-body (may have multiple values)

This may do the trick.

Le vendredi 20 septembre 2019 22:35:19 UTC+2, Chris Corbett a écrit :

> I'm a pandoc newbie and I've searched the group, but haven't found out how
> to do what I want to do.
>
> I have a business application that is producing text file reports that are
> sent to the printer using enscript which basically is sending it using a
> single non-proportional font.   The code producing the report ensures that
> everything has the correct alignment up by having the right amount of
> spaces between each column.
>
> I have a requirement to convert this report to a docx file because we want
> to have the ability to draw a signature on it.  So I'm using pandoc to do
> that conversion.  But when I do that, I end up with a document with
> multiple styles and its messing up all of the alignment.
>
> I've just spent the last couple of hours manipulating all of the styles
> setup within my document.   But I'm not getting very far, very fast.  Is
> there a way that I can add a tag to my input file to force pandoc to use a
> single style for everything?  I'm not sure what is polite on this group, so
> I'm not attaching anything.  But I would be happy to do so if it would help
> anyone help me.
>
> Thanks!

* Re: eliminate styles for docx
       [not found] ` <bc70a725-5c2b-4ef5-aec9-ba9da8d56fcb-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>