* Vanilla Powerpoint Input File: Data.Text.Internal.Encoding.Fusion.streamUtf8: Invalid UTF-8 stream
@ 2019-02-25 23:16 ivo welch
       [not found] ` <7c3adb8d-1caf-4625-808b-9358d84c9b18-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: ivo welch @ 2019-02-25 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I am using pandoc from brew, which is pandoc 1.19.2.1, compiled with
pandoc-types 1.17.0.4, texmath 0.9, skylighting 0.1.1.4 .  I used Microsoft
Powerpoint 16.16 on macos 10.14 to create a sample powerpoint document.  It
is enclosed.  5 pages.  My plan is to use pandoc to convert the .pptx file
into an ASCII format first (latex or md), which I can then mimic for the
purpose of creating powerpoint output.  alas, this fails pretty quickly:

$ pandoc -o output.md forpandoc.pptx.
pandoc: Cannot decode byte '\x92':
Data.Text.Internal.Encoding.Fusion.streamUtf8: Invalid UTF-8 stream

I also tried odp and ppt formats, but neither worked.  I also tried the
linux pandoc pandoc 1.19.2.4, compiled with pandoc-types 1.17.0.5, texmath
0.9.4.4, skylighting 0.3.3.1, but still the same problem.  can pandoc
decode powerpoint?

[-- Attachment #2: forpandoc.pptx --]
[-- Type: application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.presentationml.presentation, Size: 87237 bytes --]

* Re: Vanilla Powerpoint Input File: Data.Text.Internal.Encoding.Fusion.streamUtf8: Invalid UTF-8 stream
       [not found] ` <7c3adb8d-1caf-4625-808b-9358d84c9b18-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-02-26  0:25   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <yh480kwolno0og.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-02-26  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ivo welch, pandoc-discuss

That's quite an old version of pandoc, and it doesn't
support powerpoint (it is defaulting to interpreting
this input as markdown, since it doesn't recognize
the extension). Why don't you try with a recent one?

@ 2019-02-26  0:59       ` ivo welch
       [not found]         ` <4920a450-3e1d-48fe-afbd-a5111f31fd12-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: ivo welch @ 2019-02-26  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

thank you, john.  apologies for this.  unbeknownst to me, anaconda python
had installed this old version and overwritten my path.  so, here it is
again, now with a 2.6 version:

# pandoc --version
pandoc 2.6
Compiled with pandoc-types 1.17.5.4, texmath 0.11.2, skylighting 0.7.5
Default user data directory: /Users/ivo/.pandoc
Copyright (C) 2006-2019 John MacFarlane
Web:  http://pandoc.org
There is no warranty, not even for merchantability or fitness
for a particular purpose.
# pandoc -o output.md forpandoc.pptx
Unknown reader: pptx
# pandoc -o output.md forpandoc.ppt
UTF-8 decoding error in forpandoc.ppt at byte offset 0 (d0).
The input must be a UTF-8 encoded text.
# pandoc -o output.md forpandoc.odp
UTF-8 decoding error in forpandoc.odp at byte offset 16 (ac).
The input must be a UTF-8 encoded text.

the ppt, odp, and pptx were all written by the same powerpoint program from
the same input file.

@ 2019-02-26  2:27           ` Jesse Rosenthal
       [not found]             ` <871s3vxp09.fsf-4GNroTWusrE@public.gmane.org>
From: Jesse Rosenthal @ 2019-02-26  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ivo welch, pandoc-discuss

You're trying to read *from* PowerPoint. Pandoc only writes *to*
PowerPoint.

On why a PowerPoint reader is unlikely, see my response here:

https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/4252

@ 2019-02-26  4:34               ` ivo welch
From: ivo welch @ 2019-02-26  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

thank you.  fortunately, I ultimately want to generate powerpoint anyway.
I just need a good input document that shows off (all) the supported
features.  has anyone written such a sample document for pandoc?

regards,

/iaw

@ 2019-02-26 23:54   ` ivo welch
       [not found]     ` <48757772-acbc-4e2a-9955-c2f3db07cf87-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: ivo welch @ 2019-02-26 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I got most of it to work.  I am enclosing a little starter document for
others.    as a beginner, I could not figure out

* how to create larger and smaller font text
* how to underline text
* how to put a table and preformatted text on the same slide.
* how to create footnotes (not endnotes)
* how to create incremental or paused content.

but it looks like it is enough to create simple powerpoint presentations
with markdown.  thanks, john.

[-- Attachment #2: pansample.md --]
[-- Type: text/markdown, Size: 3955 bytes --]

% Presentation Title Here
% The Author Name Here
% Date: January 30, 2019

# Basic Fonts, Page Breaking

## Working Aspects

* Bullet A: **bold** and *italic* .

* Bullet B: ~~strikeout~~

&nbsp;

* Bullet C: Above, I used an empty nbsp to create vertical space.  Next, I am using three dashes to start my new slide now.

---

## Failing Aspects

* How would I underline text?

# Indented Lists?

1. My Basic List
    - four indent spaces
		a. eight indent spaces.

1. Alternative uses tabs instead.
	- a tab-indented version

Definition list
: the definition list format from kramdown works!

* **A Simulated Definition List:**
two spaces at the end of the previous line effectuated a line break.

# Math

* Inline Math: $H_2 O$ and $\mbox{H}_2\mbox{O}$ .  and $10^2=100$.

* Outline Math: With double dollar, math is great:

$$ x_1 = \frac{-b + \sqrt{b^2-4\cdot a \cdot c}}{2} $$

* No Math: **FAIL** With slash-paren or slash-bracket:

\( x_p = \frac{-b + \sqrt{b^2-4\cdot a \cdot c}}{2} \)

\[ x_p = \frac{-b + \sqrt{b^2-4\cdot a \cdot c}}{2} \]

# Table Example

     ARight     Left     Center     Default
    -------     ------ ----------   -------
         12     12        12            12
        123     123       123          123
          1     1          1             1

How can I continue the output on the same page?  I want the table to follow as an element.  Instead, tables always print on the following page, though one can still set a slide title.  However, any text preceding makes a mess.

 ARight     Left     Center     Default
-------     ------ ----------   -------
     12     12        12            12
    123     123       123          123
      1     1          1             1

Table:  Demonstration of one type of table syntax.

# Table Example

| BRight | Left | Default | Center |
|-------:|:-----|---------|:------:|
|    12  |  12  |    12   |    12  |
|   123  |  123 |   123   |   123  |
|     1  |    1 |     1   |     1  |

Table:  Demonstration of another table syntax.

    | BRight | Left | Default | Center |
    |-------:|:-----|---------|:------:|
    |    12  |  12  |    12   |    12  |
    |   123  |  123 |   123   |   123  |
    |     1  |    1 |     1   |     1  |

Table:  Demonstration of another table syntax.

# Table Example

----------- ------- --------------- -------------------------
   First    row                12.0 Example of a row that
                                    spans multiple lines.

  Second    row                 5.0 Here's another one. Note
                                    the blank line between
                                    rows.
----------- ------- --------------- -------------------------

    ----------- ------- --------------- -------------------------
       First    row                12.0 Example of a row that
                                        spans multiple lines.

      Second    row                 5.0 Here's another one. Note
                                        the blank line between
                                        rows.
    ----------- ------- --------------- -------------------------

# URLs and Notes.

* For a URL, we use [google](http://www.google.com)

* Powerpoint places my inline note^[All these notes will go in a slide at the end of the presentation] at the end, i.e., they are endnotes.

::: notes

Speaker notes can be in the md file, and will show only when the speaker clicks on the notes button.

:::

# Including Images (Figures)

![This is my caption](bewildered.png)

---

# Slides For Stuff Not Working With PPTX FOR ME

# Footnotes on the Page

* Any FOOTNOTE[^1]

[^1:] Here is a my footnote.

# Incremental Content

::: incremental

- Eat spaghetti
- Drink wine

:::

# Paused Content

content first

. . .

content second

# Thank you

@ 2019-02-27 13:53       ` Jesse Rosenthal
       [not found]         ` <871s3twd6a.fsf-4GNroTWusrE@public.gmane.org>
From: Jesse Rosenthal @ 2019-02-27 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ivo welch, pandoc-discuss

Thanks for producing the document. A lot of these things can't be done,
due to the constraints of either PowerPoint or Pandoc. A couple should
be on the horizon.

ivo welch <ivowel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> I got most of it to work.  I am enclosing a little starter document for
> others.    as a beginner, I could not figure out:

> * how to create larger and smaller font text

Pandoc doesn't handle font sizes, since it's a structured document
format. It *can* handle character classes in some output formats (docx,
odt), and these can be used for that purpose. Unfortunately, PowerPoint
doesn't have character classes, so there's no structured way to produce this.

> * how to underline text

This isn't supported in pptx at the moment. Since it was added in the
docx writer earlier this year, it shouldn't be hard to add. I'll try to
do it this week.

> * how to put a table and preformatted text on the same slide.

You have to use a two-column slide. In general, due to the limitations
of the layout structure in PowerPoint, and what we can be sure is
available, you are limited to four layouts, described in the manual. If
you want to have two content shapes (image, text, table) on the same
slide, you have to use columns. Note that, depending on your template,
these need not be side-by-side.

> * how to create footnotes (not endnotes)

PowerPoint doesn't have footnotes (or endnotes for that
matter). Footnotes are just boxes stuck somewhere on the bottom of a
slide with a hand-entered superscript. This is too fragile to produce
programatically so we go for endnotes, which is similar to the output in
other pandoc slide formats.

> * how to create incremental or paused content.

This is currently the big TODO. Incremental lists have their own
(complicated) xml dialect in powerpoint, and it hasn't been implemented
here yet. Sometime this year, I hope?

@ 2019-02-27 17:04           ` Jesse Rosenthal
From: Jesse Rosenthal @ 2019-02-27 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ivo welch, pandoc-discuss

Jesse Rosenthal <jrosenthal-4GNroTWusrE@public.gmane.org> writes:

>> * how to underline text
>
> This isn't supported in pptx at the moment. Since it was added in the
> docx writer earlier this year, it shouldn't be hard to add. I'll try to
> do it this week.

FYI -- I added this this morning. In the development version and the next
release, you'll be able to add underline with a span with class
"underline": ie, `[foo bar]{.underline}`.

@ 2019-02-28  0:25   ` ivo welch
       [not found]     ` <9386a06e-2050-4e26-9b23-d306eeb6c9f1-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: ivo welch @ 2019-02-28  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I am enclosing an updated draft of my sample document for conversion to
powerpoint.  Jesse---I mention you on slide 1, if this is ok.

PS: I am assuming that colors also do not work, just like font-size.

[-- Attachment #2: pansample.md --]
[-- Type: text/markdown, Size: 4437 bytes --]

% Presentation Title Here
% The Author Name Here
% Date: January 30, 2019

# Introduction

* [Pandoc](https://pandoc.org/) is written by John MacFarlane.

* To create a powerpoint presentation from this sample document with pandoc,

		pandoc -o pansample.pptx pansample.md

* Jesse Rosenthal has helped with the powerpoint output.  (Powerpoint input is not possible.)

# Basic Fonts, Page Breaking

## Working Aspects

* Bullet A: **bold** and *italic* .

* Bullet B: ~~struck out text~~

* Bullet C: `[underlined text]{.underline}`

&nbsp;

* Bullet D: Above, I used an empty nbsp to create vertical space.  Next, I am using three dashes to start my new slide now.

---

## Impossible Features

* The following issues are problems of structured text in powerpoint, and not primarily due to pandoc limitations:

	- It is not possible to increase or decrease font size.

	- It is not possible to change font color.

# Indented Lists?

1. My Basic List
    - four indent spaces
		a. eight indent spaces.

1. Alternative uses tabs instead.
	- a tab-indented version

Definition list
: the definition list format from kramdown works!

* **A Simulated Definition List:**
two spaces at the end of the previous line effectuated a line break.

# Math

* Inline Math: $H_2 O$ and $\mbox{H}_2\mbox{O}$ .  and $10^2=100$.

* Outline Math: With double dollar, math is great:

$$ x_1 = \frac{-b + \sqrt{b^2-4\cdot a \cdot c}}{2} $$

&nbsp;

* Outline math fails with slash-paren or slash-bracket:

\( x_p = \frac{-b + \sqrt{b^2-4\cdot a \cdot c}}{2} \)

\[ x_p = \frac{-b + \sqrt{b^2-4\cdot a \cdot c}}{2} \]

# Source of Table Example 1

Note that one can put a content shape (image, text, table) only on the same slide as text if one uses columns.  Ergo, I decided to show the table itself on its own page.  Source:

     ARight     Left     Center     Default
    -------     ------ ----------   -------
         12     12        12            12
        123     123       123          123
          1     1          1             1

Slide titles and text should be ok.

# Table Example 1

 ARight     Left     Center     Default
-------     ------ ----------   -------
     12     12        12            12
    123     123       123          123
      1     1          1             1

Table:  Demonstration of one type of table syntax.

# Source of Table Example 2

    | BRight | Left | Default | Center |
    |-------:|:-----|---------|:------:|
    |    12  |  12  |    12   |    12  |
    |   123  |  123 |   123   |   123  |
    |     1  |    1 |     1   |     1  |

Table:  Demonstration of another table syntax.

# Table Example 2

| BRight | Left | Default | Center |
|-------:|:-----|---------|:------:|
|    12  |  12  |    12   |    12  |
|   123  |  123 |   123   |   123  |
|     1  |    1 |     1   |     1  |

Table:  Demonstration of another table syntax.

# Source of Table Example 3

    ----------- ------- ------ -----------------
       First    row       12.0 Example row that
                               spans mult lines.

      Second    row        5.0 Here's another.
                               Note blank line
                               between rows.
    ----------- ------- ------ -----------------

# Table Example 3

----------- ------- ------ -----------------
   First    row       12.0 Example row that
                           spans mult lines.

  Second    row        5.0 Here's another.
                           Note blank line
                           between rows.
----------- ------- ------ -----------------

# URLs and Notes.

* There was a URL example on the first page: [pandoc](https://pandoc.org/).

* Powerpoint places "inline" notes^[All inline notes are going onto a slide called "Notes" at the end of the presentation.] at the end of the presentation.  That is, they become endnotes.

::: notes

Speaker notes can be in the md file, and will show only when the speaker clicks on the notes button.

:::

# Including Images (Figures)

![This is my caption](bewildered.png)

---

# Stuff Not Working With PPTX

# Footnotes on the Page

* Footnotes on the same page are not working.  Please use endnotes instead.

# Incremental Content

This is apparently a planned feature.

::: incremental

- Eat spaghetti