* Admin privs to install?
@ 2017-10-31 23:56 Adam Shostack
       [not found] ` <9844a87d-6ade-4961-ba9a-23f9c33c9266-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Adam Shostack @ 2017-10-31 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Congratulations on shipping v2!

When I went to install it on my mac, I was prompted for the admin password.
 This wasn't previously a requirement, and it would be better to install as
a normal user.

Is there an explanation anywhere of why Pandoc needs admin rights?

Adam

* Re: Admin privs to install?
       [not found] ` <9844a87d-6ade-4961-ba9a-23f9c33c9266-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-11-01  0:18   ` Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
From: Ivan Lazar Miljenovic @ 2017-11-01  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 1 November 2017 at 10:56, Adam Shostack <adamshostack23-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Congratulations on shipping v2!
>
> When I went to install it on my mac, I was prompted for the admin password.
> This wasn't previously a requirement, and it would be better to install as a
> normal user.
>
> Is there an explanation anywhere of why Pandoc needs admin rights?

Is it being installed system-wide rather than per-user?

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org

* Re: Admin privs to install?
       [not found] ` <9844a87d-6ade-4961-ba9a-23f9c33c9266-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-11-01  3:46   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20171101034617.GA19638-9Rnp8PDaXcadBw3G0RLmbRFnWt+6NQIA@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-11-01  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I don't think there have been any relevant changes in this.
You were asked to type your admin password by the 1.19.2.1
installer as well.  I think this is just something that
macOS pkg installers require, at least if you're putting the
binary in /usr/local.

In fact, pandoc does not need admin rights.  There are
instructions in http://pandoc.org/installing.html#macos
for unpacking the binaries and documentation from the
pkg container; once you unpack them you can put them
where you like!

+++ Adam Shostack [Oct 31 17 16:56 ]:
>   Hi,
>   Congratulations on shipping v2!
>   When I went to install it on my mac, I was prompted for the admin
>   password.  This wasn't previously a requirement, and it would be better
>   to install as a normal user.
>   Is there an explanation anywhere of why Pandoc needs admin rights?
>   Adam
>
>   --
>   To view this discussion on the web visit
>   [3]https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/9844a87d-6ade-4961-
>   ba9a-23f9c33c9266%40googlegroups.com.
>
>References

>   2. mailto:pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
>   3. https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/9844a87d-6ade-4961-ba9a-23f9c33c9266-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>   4. https://groups.google.com/d/optout

* Re: Admin privs to install?
       [not found] ` <9844a87d-6ade-4961-ba9a-23f9c33c9266-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-11-01 17:42   ` Kolen Cheung
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2017-11-01 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

If you use homebrew, brew install pandoc pandoc-citeproc doesn’t require
admin right. Or you could try pandoc-extras/pandoc-portable
<https://github.com/pandoc-extras/pandoc-portable> to put it somewhere and
add it to your PATH manually (e.g. ~/.local/bin) .
​

* Re: Admin privs to install?
       [not found]     ` <20171101034617.GA19638-9Rnp8PDaXcadBw3G0RLmbRFnWt+6NQIA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-11-01 18:24       ` Adam Shostack