* Citations in parentheses have a period before the close parentheses
@ 2020-10-20 18:15 jcr
       [not found] ` <adc7aa37-b672-452f-8467-df4b893fb6bbn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: jcr @ 2020-10-20 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I've just started testing citeproc. I was waiting to be able to try it with
docker, and yesterday finally gave up and downloaded the ZIP from GitHub.

I find that when I have a citation in the text of a footnote, it is wrapped
in parentheses (a good improvement over pandoc-citeproc), but there is a
period before the closing parenthesis (like this.). I'm not sure if I
should blame citeproc or the style for this, but I want to find a solution
for the problem.

Test case (test.md) – see the Zotero Style Repository
<https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=salesi> for the CSL style used:
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet^[Consectetur adipisicing elit: «sed do eiusmod
tempor incididunt» [@doe_1989, 15].].

---
csl: universita-pontificia-salesiana.csl
suppress-bibliography: true
references:
- id: doe_1989
  author:
    - family: Doe
      given: John
  issued:
    - year: 1989
  publisher: ABC
  publisher-place: New York
  title: Tempor
  type: book

command: pandoc test.md --citeproc -t markdown-citations

result:
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet[^1].

[^1]: Consectetur adipisicing elit: «sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt»
    (J. [Doe]{.smallcaps}, *Tempor*, New York, ABC, 1989, 15.).

* Re: Citations in parentheses have a period before the close parentheses
       [not found] ` <adc7aa37-b672-452f-8467-df4b893fb6bbn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-10-21  6:31   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <m2sga8rsxp.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-10-21  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jcr, pandoc-discuss

jcr <ffi.appdev-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> I've just started testing citeproc. I was waiting to be able to try it with
> docker, and yesterday finally gave up and downloaded the ZIP from GitHub.
>
> I find that when I have a citation in the text of a footnote, it is wrapped
> in parentheses (a good improvement over pandoc-citeproc), but there is a
> period before the closing parenthesis (like this.). I'm not sure if I
> should blame citeproc or the style for this, but I want to find a solution
> for the problem.

citeproc produces a note citation if it's a note style.  If the
citation already occurs in a note, pandoc simply changes the note
to a parenthetical.  There is code in pandoc that is supposed
to remove the final period in these parentheticals, but maybe it
isn't working properly.  What makes this nontrivial is that we
don't want to remove a final period from an abbreviation like
"ibid." or "ed.". I used a heuristic I thought would work, but it
is rough and I'm not surprised that it doesn't.

It's probably best if you submit this as an issue at jgm/citeproc
on GitHub; then I won't lose track.

@ 2020-10-21  9:47       ` jcr
From: jcr @ 2020-10-21  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss