* Problem pdf-conversion, citations with titles with punctuation inside nested quotations
@ 2022-02-10 11:14 John Carter Wood
       [not found] ` <c89b519c-798c-41c3-9536-733b593cfce1n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: John Carter Wood @ 2022-02-10 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello,

Last year I had had a problem with citations that had internal terminal
punctuation (that ended, e.g. with exclamation points) rendering correctly
as pdfs. That was solved by an update to a newer version of pandoc.

I am now running into a slightly different problem regarding the rendering
of titles that have internal punctuation inside *nested* quotation marks.
This problem only seems to arise, however, when I'm using German (de-DE)
quotation marks via pandoc-quotes.lua. It does _not_ happen when using the
English or Swiss-German quotes (guillemets), also via pandoc-quotes.lua. (I
had to make the slight change to pandoc-quotes.lua that another user
recently discussed here after updating to the latest version of pandoc.)

So, the original title (as I have it entered in Zotero: I export to a
library in JSON) is:

"Mother, what did policemen do when there weren't any motors?" The law, the
police and the regulation of motor traffic in England, 1900–1939

In English (en-GB) it renders fine (see attached image, en-US is also fine
though with the single- and double-quotes reversed, as it should be).

[image: Cite-en-GB.png]

With de-CH set as language, it also works as expected.

[image: Cite-de-CH.png]
But if I change the language to de-DE (which is the language I actually
need!) the question mark is turned upside down and the closing internal
quote disappears.

[image: Cite-de-DE.png]
The same thing happens with other terminal punctuation marks (e.g.
exclamation points) that are inside nested quotes.

I am running the latest pandoc (2.17.1.1).

I have tried various things, from changing the Zotero entry (using
typographic quote marks, using `` and '' instead of regular quote marks) to
trying export as bibtex/biblatex and nothing seems to work.

It renders fine as a docx.

Am I doing something wrong and/or does anyone have an idea how to solve
this?

[-- Attachment #2: Cite-de-CH.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 31419 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: Cite-de-DE.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 31399 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #4: Cite-en-GB.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 30849 bytes --]

* Re: Problem pdf-conversion, citations with titles with punctuation inside nested quotations
       [not found] ` <c89b519c-798c-41c3-9536-733b593cfce1n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-02-10 13:39   ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2022-02-10 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I remember having had such problems with pdflatex. What happens if you use --pdfengine=xelatex (or lualatex)?

@ 2022-02-10 14:03     ` John Carter Wood
       [not found]       ` <1a8cc556-3f64-41a8-afea-473bd1320b21n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: John Carter Wood @ 2022-02-10 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thank you very much! --pdf-engine=xelatex did the trick.

[image: Citation-de-DE-xelatex.png]
lualatex threw up a font error. But I'm happy to use xelatex if it works
better.

Do you know whether there any downside to using xelatex? Or is it generally
to be preferred to pdflatex?

Thanks again for the quick response and help!
Best,
John

Bastien Dumont schrieb am Donnerstag, 10. Februar 2022 um 14:41:36 UTC+1:

> [...]
> exclamation
> > points) that are inside nested quotes.
> >
> > I am running the latest pandoc (2.17.1.1).
> >
> > I have tried various things, from changing the Zotero entry (using
> typographic
> > quote marks, using `` and '' instead of regular quote marks) to trying
> export
> > as bibtex/biblatex and nothing seems to work.
> >
> > It renders fine as a docx.
> >
> > Am I doing something wrong and/or does anyone have an idea how to solve
> this?
> >

> > --
> an email
> > to [1]pandoc-discus...-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org
> > To view this discussion on the web visit [2]
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/
> > pandoc-discuss/c89b519c-798c-41c3-9536-733b593cfce1n%40googlegroups.com.

[-- Attachment #2: Citation-de-DE-xelatex.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 30592 bytes --]

* AW: Problem pdf-conversion, citations with titles with punctuation inside nested quotations
       [not found]       ` <1a8cc556-3f64-41a8-afea-473bd1320b21n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-02-10 14:10         ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2022-02-10 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

IIRC, xelatex and pdflatex differ regardings pstricks support and inclusion of certain graphics. But I’m not sure. It’s been a long time since using xelatex.
Also, back then microtype support was better in pdflatex, but that may have changed.

Denis

Thank you very much! --pdf-engine=xelatex did the trick.

[cid:image001.png-pgCMc8htbjMqzC/+qUlIQTRmByFHzeGd@public.gmane.org]
lualatex threw up a font error. But I'm happy to use xelatex if it works better.

Do you know whether there any downside to using xelatex? Or is it generally to be preferred to pdflatex?
Thanks again for the quick response and help!
Best,
John

Bastien Dumont schrieb am Donnerstag, 10. Februar 2022 um 14:41:36 UTC+1:
I remember having had such problems with pdflatex. What happens if you use --pdfengine=xelatex (or lualatex)?

Le Thursday 10 February 2022 à 03:14:31AM, John Carter Wood a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> Last year I had had a problem with citations that had internal terminal
> punctuation (that ended, e.g. with exclamation points) rendering correctly as
> pdfs. That was solved by an update to a newer version of pandoc.
>
> I am now running into a slightly different problem regarding the rendering of
> titles that have internal punctuation inside *nested* quotation marks. This
> problem only seems to arise, however, when I'm using German (de-DE) quotation
> marks via pandoc-quotes.lua. It does _not_ happen when using the English or
> Swiss-German quotes (guillemets), also via pandoc-quotes.lua. (I had to make
> the slight change to pandoc-quotes.lua that another user recently discussed
> here after updating to the latest version of pandoc.)
>
> So, the original title (as I have it entered in Zotero: I export to a library
> in JSON) is:
>
> "Mother, what did policemen do when there weren't any motors?" The law, the
> police and the regulation of motor traffic in England, 1900–1939
>
> In English (en-GB) it renders fine (see attached image, en-US is also fine
> though with the single- and double-quotes reversed, as it should be).
>
> Cite-en-GB.png
>
> With de-CH set as language, it also works as expected.
>
> Cite-de-CH.png
> But if I change the language to de-DE (which is the language I actually need!)
> the question mark is turned upside down and the closing internal quote
> disappears.
>
> Cite-de-DE.png
> The same thing happens with other terminal punctuation marks (e.g. exclamation
> points) that are inside nested quotes.
>
> I am running the latest pandoc (2.17.1.1).
>
> I have tried various things, from changing the Zotero entry (using typographic
> quote marks, using `` and '' instead of regular quote marks) to trying export
> as bibtex/biblatex and nothing seems to work.
>
> It renders fine as a docx.
>
> Am I doing something wrong and/or does anyone have an idea how to solve this?
>

> --

> [1] mailto:pandoc-discus...-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
> [2] https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/c89b519c-798c-41c3-9536-733b593cfce1n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer

[-- Attachment #2: image001.png --]

@ 2022-02-10 14:13         ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2022-02-10 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

You're wellcome! The only downside that I know of is that it is slower, but it has many advantages.

(Just for information, there is some information about font names in XeLaTeX and LuaLaTeX here:
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/132906/fontspec-xelatex-finding-fonts-by-name-installed-or-in-texmfhome)

@ 2022-02-10 14:30           ` John Carter Wood
From: John Carter Wood @ 2022-02-10 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss