I'm converting from LaTeX to MS Word (.docx). LaTeX lets you embed the command \mbox{...} in LaTeX math mode. What goes inside the mbox is normal, non-math-mode text and commands. In my case, I have some special terms that I use outside of mathmode, which are italicized, e.g. like \textit{foo} I need to embed exactly the same text, formatted in the same way, in math mode. For example, in LaTeX, this is fine: $2 \times \mbox{\textit{foo}}$ However, when using pandoc to convert to Word, I get this error: [WARNING] Could not convert TeX math '2\times\mbox{\textit{foo}}', rendering as TeX: 2\times\mbox{\textit{foo}} ^ unexpected "\\" expecting "}", text, "{", "$", "$$", "\\(" or "\\[" It appears that \mbox is not treated as an escape out to normal non-math mode, so that things that you could normally do in LaTeX in math mode are not understood by pandoc. Is this correct? Is this just an unimplemented feature? I know that pandoc can 't do everything that LaTeX does; that's OK. Is there a workaround? Thanks -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/7262e88e-6096-48f2-a7c4-541fa3a15410n%40googlegroups.com.