* Automating markdown to odt with fields
@ 2016-04-26  6:43 JDani Jiménez
       [not found] ` <7608243e-3f15-48de-9230-00b78127246e-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: JDani Jiménez @ 2016-04-26  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I need to automate the generation of many documents and, hopeful, maintain change and version control. The main idea is to desing a template with as many fields as I need. These fields are aimed to be filled in with:

formated text

item lists

different paragraphs

images

tables...

I mean, not only text. And, finally, after this gaps are filled, it should be exported to odt or pdf. My best approach is this:

 1. Generate an odt template with these fields defined. This is my first problem... I know variables in LibreOffice Writter, but not a field as it.

 2. Write as many markdown documents as fields in my template with the custom text and structure (not format... this is stored in the template). The point here is to keep the version and changes control over these files storing them in a git server.

 3. Generate final .odt file rendering each markdown into its field. Here is when I don't know exactly how to go on. pandoc could be an option, but I don't know, even reading the docs, if I can render markdown files into and odt template.

 4. Finally, if the odt is generated, converting to pdf is quite straightforward using "libreoffice --headless", for example.

This is only my best approach, but it's not working 100%, so I'm looking for other ways to get same results or solving these issues. Does anyone have worked in a solution like this or do you know if this is possible with pandoc?