* Markdown to Pandoc to beautiful books — we need a definitive step-by-step tutorial
@ 2020-10-09 17:16 Lloyd R. Prentice
       [not found] ` <3636BA4F-52F8-4423-9531-4AF96B2603E5-l7gIAb2iU4jcM+WK4BI3xw@public.gmane.org>
From: Lloyd R. Prentice @ 2020-10-09 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Pandoc is an extraordinary productivity tool for indie publishers.  But indie publishers of fiction and non-fiction books need a detailed step-by-step tutorial to help them publish beautiful books.

So who can help me create one?

Idea:

1. Download Jane Austin’s Pride and Prejudice from Project Gutenberg. Pride and Prejudice is at the top of Project Gutenberg’s popularity list:

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search/?sort_order=downloads

2. Show how to convert from eBook to Pandoc markdown.

3. Show in step-by-step detail how to create a beautiful PDF version with Pandoc.

4. Repeat with a public domain technical book that includes diagrams and computer code.

Ideally these tutorials would include book-design conventions and wisdom drawn from say:

https://ctan.org/pkg/memoir?lang=en

This project could generate a fairly lengthy document. In this case we could publish it on LeanPub with all proceeds going to further Pandoc development and maintenance.

Ideas and collaboration very welcome.

LRP

Sent from my iPad

* Re: Markdown to Pandoc to beautiful books — we need a definitive step-by-step tutorial
       [not found] ` <3636BA4F-52F8-4423-9531-4AF96B2603E5-l7gIAb2iU4jcM+WK4BI3xw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-10-09 17:27   ` Joseph Zitt
From: Joseph Zitt @ 2020-10-09 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

One suggestion: I would start with a smaller book. Alice's Adventures in
Wonderland, #5 on the list, might do well. It also has poetry, I believe,
and some other peculiarities that might make for good examples.

@ 2020-10-09 18:50   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <m27drzfd3v.fsf-jF64zX8BO08an7k8zZ43ob9bIa4KchGshsV+eolpW18@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-10-09 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lloyd R. Prentice, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

It's a good idea. I could help out. I've typeset two books with memoir.
Here's a start.

Step 1:

pandoc https://www.gutenberg.org/files/1342/1342-h/1342-h.htm -t commonmark-raw_html -f html -s -o PrideAndPrejudice.md

Step 2:  Edit md file, delete everything before Chapter 1.  Add

License
-------
\scriptsize

after the last paragraph of content and before the ```.

Step 3:  Add the following at the top of the file, with a blank
line following:

---
lang: en
title: Pride and Prejudice
author: Jane Austen

Step 4: Make the PDF!

pandoc PrideAndPrejudice.md -o PrideAndPrejudice.pdf --pdf-engine=xelatex -Vdocumentclass=memoir -Vmainfont='Hoefler Text' -Vfontsize=12pt -Vgeometry='papersize={6in,9in},centering,margin=0.75in' --shift-heading-level=-1 -Vheader-includes='\setsecnumdepth{none}' -Vheader-includes='\chapterstyle{dowding}' -Vheader-includes='\midsloppy' -Vheader-includes='\pagestyle{ruled}'

@ 2020-10-09 20:01       ` Joseph Zitt
       [not found]         ` <CAGG3uu0enB4gWx42Ur3LA21h1h61+R51AJx5NEv6-D_RB2V5cg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Zitt @ 2020-10-09 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw; +Cc: Lloyd R. Prentice

> Step 4: Make the PDF!

> pandoc PrideAndPrejudice.md -o PrideAndPrejudice.pdf --pdf-engine=xelatex
-Vdocumentclass=memoir -Vmainfont='Hoefler Text' -Vfontsize=12pt
-Vgeometry='papersize={6in,9in},centering,margin=0.75in'
--shift-heading-level=-1 -Vheader-includes='\setsecnumdepth{none}'
-Vheader-includes='\chapterstyle{dowding}' -Vheader-includes='\midsloppy'
-Vheader-includes='\pagestyle{ruled}'

As seen by a relative newbie, that line's a bit terrifying -- but that's
OK! The trick would be for the tutorial to break it down so that by the
end, the reader understands what it does, and, most importantly, how and
why it does it.

--
Joseph Zitt :: http://www.josephzitt.com
"Write what you dream. Shoot what you can. Edit what you have." -- Unknown

@ 2020-10-09 20:21   ` Lloyd R. Prentice
       [not found]     ` <6574A2F6-1D16-442B-BF04-9244498D9872-l7gIAb2iU4jcM+WK4BI3xw@public.gmane.org>
From: Lloyd R. Prentice @ 2020-10-09 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi Joseph,

Alice in Wonderland would be fine with me. Re step 4: Absolutely! We need to know how to control every detail of quality book design.

Thanks John,

Your input will be invaluable. And I can’t thank you enough for Pandoc.

Perhaps we can trash out a detailed outline then take it from there. I’ll try to submit my straw-man outline later tonight or tomorrow.

Interesting facts: More than 1.6 million books were self-published in 2019.

http://www.bowker.com/news/2019/Self-Publishing-Grew-40-Percent-in-2018-New-Report--Reveals.html

LRP

Sent from my iPad

@ 2020-10-09 20:22           ` Leonard Rosenthol
       [not found]             ` <CALu=v3+_JCVZmNe+KZ=-iG+FrnXTfB=NhuioAYR7jsKpj90h_Q-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Leonard Rosenthol @ 2020-10-09 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw; +Cc: Lloyd R. Prentice

Alternatively, all of those variables could be put in a .yaml file and then
the command line would just have a `-d`.  So all that complexity gets
hidden...

Leonard

@ 2020-10-09 20:28       ` 'denismaier' via pandoc-discuss
From: 'denismaier' via pandoc-discuss @ 2020-10-09 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi,that is a good idea.I just want to add that ConTeXt might be a reasonable path to beautiful books. There's an amazing series of blog posts here: https://dave.autonoma.ca/blog/2019/05/22/typesetting-markdown-part-1/When using ConTeXt you can also use pandoc to produce html files and typeset those directly,  see http://www.from-pandoc-to-context.tkBest,Denis
-------- Ursprüngliche Nachricht --------Von: "Lloyd R. Prentice" <lloyd-l7gIAb2iU4jcM+WK4BI3xw@public.gmane.org> Datum: 09.10.20  22:22  (GMT+01:00) An: pandoc-discuss@googlegroups.com Betreff: Re: Markdown to Pandoc to beautiful books — we need a definitive step-by-step tutorial Hi Joseph,Alice in Wonderland would be fine with me. Re step 4: Absolutely! We need to know how to control every detail of quality book design.Thanks John,Your input will be invaluable. And I can’t thank you enough for Pandoc.Perhaps we can trash out a detailed outline then take it from there. I’ll try to submit my straw-man outline later tonight or tomorrow.Interesting facts: More than 1.6 million books were self-published in 2019.http://www.bowker.com/news/2019/Self-Publishing-Grew-40-Percent-in-2018-New-Report--Reveals.htmlLRPSent from my iPadOn Oct 9, 2020, at 1:16 PM, Lloyd R. Prentice <lloyd@writersglen.com> wrote:Pandoc is an extraordinary productivity tool for indie publishers.  But indie publishers of fiction and non-fiction books need a detailed step-by-step tutorial to help them publish beautiful books. So who can help me create one?Idea:1. Download Jane Austin’s Pride and Prejudice from Project Gutenberg. Pride and Prejudice is at the top of Project Gutenberg’s popularity list:https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search/?sort_order=downloads2. Show how to convert from eBook to Pandoc markdown.3. Show in step-by-step detail how to create a beautiful PDF version with Pandoc.4. Repeat with a public domain technical book that includes diagrams and computer code.Ideally these tutorials would include book-design conventions and wisdom drawn from say:https://ctan.org/pkg/memoir?lang=enThis project could generate a fairly lengthy document. In this case we could publish it on LeanPub with all proceeds going to further Pandoc development and maintenance.Ideas and collaboration very welcome.LRPSent from my iPad

@ 2020-10-10 18:31               ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                 ` <m2362mexus.fsf-jF64zX8BO08an7k8zZ43ob9bIa4KchGshsV+eolpW18@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-10-10 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leonard Rosenthol, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw
  Cc: Lloyd R. Prentice

Leonard Rosenthol <leonardr-bM6h3K5UM15l57MIdRCFDg@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Alternatively, all of those variables could be put in a .yaml file and then
> the command line would just have a `-d`.  So all that complexity gets
> hidden...

Yes.  I normally do this.  I also normally put all of the LaTeX
stuff in a custom .sty or even .cls, rather than using
header-includes variables.

If you create a custom style or documentclass with the settings
appropriate for a book, then on the pandoc side it could be as
simple as:

pandoc PrideAndPrejudice.md -o PrideAndPrejudice.pdf --defaults book.yaml

book.yaml:
---
variables:
  documentclass: pandocbook
  classoptions:
  - papersize={6in,9in}
  - margin=0.75in
  - chapterstyle=dowding
  - pagestyle=ruled
  fontsize: 12pt
  mainfont: Hoefler Text
pdf-engine: xelatex

Alternatively, one could use a custom latex template and put the
customizations there. This would allow you to use the template
language to make customization even more intuitive, e.g.

---
template: pandocbook
pdf-engine: xelatex
variables:
  papersize: 6in,9in
  margin: 0.75in
  chapterstyle: dowding
  pagestyle: ruled
  fontsize: 12pt
  mainfont: Hoefler Text
  cover-image: flower.jpg

@ 2020-10-10 20:28                   ` Lloyd R. Prentice
       [not found]                     ` <C0497EB3-B59E-4D6F-93B8-274C00CC46C8-l7gIAb2iU4jcM+WK4BI3xw@public.gmane.org>
From: Lloyd R. Prentice @ 2020-10-10 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John MacFarlane; +Cc: Leonard Rosenthol, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thank you, John,

I’m continuing to flesh out the outline I proposed, but no feedback yet from experts on the list. I’m hoping we can address the why as well as how-to of book design and production. This is an ambitious vision, but many among the 1.6 million self publishers struggle with basic skills.

As I see it, for this project to succeed we’ll need four areas of expertise:

* Book design
* LaTeX
* CSS
* Pandoc

I’m sure deep talent in all of these areas exists across the Pandoc community. With arguable exception of CSS, my own skills fall short of what we’ll need. So I’m hoping generous gurus will step up to contribute.

Among other things, it would be great to have polished templates—-good examples of beautiful fiction and another of a professional/academic non-fiction book—-to inspire our how-to narrative. This would enable us to talk about why as well as how.

I’ll do my best to coordinate collaborative efforts. But hope talented folks step up to complement your much appreciated contributions.

If we can pull this off, I do believe an authoritative book published through Leanpub and maybe KDP can generate a revenue to help support Pandoc into the future.

Thanks,

LRP

Sent from my iPad

@ 2020-10-10 20:33                       ` Joseph Zitt
From: Joseph Zitt @ 2020-10-10 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw; +Cc: John MacFarlane, Leonard Rosenthol

I have designed a few published books using LaTeX, though it's mostly been
trial and error plus stumbling about in the dark :-)

--

@ 2020-10-11 13:07                       ` Pranesh Prakash
       [not found]                         ` <8063d9a0-8ddf-4a04-bed3-a4954dff690fn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Pranesh Prakash @ 2020-10-11 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

On Sunday, 11 October, 2020 at 1:59:07 am UTC+5:30 LRP wrote:

> As I see it, for this project to succeed we’ll need four areas of
> expertise:
>
> * Book design
> * LaTeX
> * CSS
> * Pandoc

You may wish to take a look at the Standard Ebooks project:
1. https://standardebooks.org/about
2. https://standardebooks.org/manual
3. https://github.com/standardebooks/tools

While they do not use Pandoc or LaTeX, they do use CSS (to create EPUBv2,
EPUBv3, AZW3 and KEPUB files) and they do pay close attention to book
design.

@ 2020-10-11 14:24                           ` Lloyd R. Prentice
       [not found]                             ` <17E40B88-BA85-489B-A020-E4FE051E428E-l7gIAb2iU4jcM+WK4BI3xw@public.gmane.org>
From: Lloyd R. Prentice @ 2020-10-11 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi Pranesh,

Thanks for the links.

This suggests that we would profit by pulling together a resource list to focus our work. I’ll add your links to my straw man outline—would welcome other excellent sources covering book design, LaTeX, CSS, and Pandoc. Ideally we’ll want to winnow this list down to the best-of-the-best resources.

The next challenge will be to pull out, as succinctly as possible, the insights and wisdom that can help Pandoc users publish beautiful e- and print books as efficiently as possible.

These are challenging tasks that can easily spin out of control. Ideas of how to best organize this project are welcome.

Meanwhile, Pranesh, do you have time and energy to synthesize what our readers need to know about CSS to publish beautiful eBooks?

Thanks again,

LRP

Sent from my iPad

@ 2020-10-12  9:28                               ` iandol
       [not found]                                 ` <0ee7e877-fb5b-4322-9099-1b38a28481e0n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: iandol @ 2020-10-12  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Another route is via Pandoc > HTML+CSS > PDF using PrinceXML — they have a
specialised set of information for book production and some
samples: https://www.princexml.com/doc/prince-for-books/ — I think CSS is
far more intuitive than the bizarre arcana of LaTeX that depends on layers
and layers of knowledge. But then again, people have got LaTeX to work
wonders...

@ 2020-10-12 14:06                                   ` krulis....-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
       [not found]                                     ` <5c4994a0-322c-401b-9eb7-ff182088e580n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: krulis....-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org @ 2020-10-12 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Well, correct me if I am wrong, but isnt this software only proprietary?
Eventhough I would be very interested working with this technology as a
-personal-home-user-tinkerer- I dont think it is possible without investing
in licence (with pretty remarkable price tag).
Samples look nice.

@ 2020-10-12 17:01                                       ` Pranesh Prakash
       [not found]                                         ` <fc9ba1ee-6f5b-4792-96fb-4d1e29eb567bn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Pranesh Prakash @ 2020-10-12 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

On Monday, 12 October, 2020 at 7:36:53 pm UTC+5:30 krulis....-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
wrote:

> Well, correct me if I am wrong, but isnt this software only proprietary?
> Eventhough I would be very interested working with this technology as a
> -personal-home-user-tinkerer- I dont think it is possible without investing
> in licence (with pretty remarkable price tag).
> Samples look nice.

Yes, Prince is proprietary (gratis for non-commercial use), but it along
with its CSS extensions, is super-powerful, as evidenced by the examples on
the css4.pub page.[1] Interestingly, Håkon Wium Lie, the co-inventor of CSS
/ former CTO of Opera / founding member of the Norwegian Pirate Party, is
and has been the chairman of the company behind Prince for more than a
decade. Lie & Bos's book on CSS was typeset using CSS all the way back in
2005.[2]  One can only hope that eventually those extensions will make
their way to CSS proper. Bert Bos has a put together a list of features
needed to make CSS fit enough for print typesetting.[3]

[1]: https://css4.pub/
[2]: https://alistapart.com/article/boom/
[3]: https://www.w3.org/Style/2013/paged-media-tasks

@ 2020-10-12 19:13                                           ` Lloyd R. Prentice
       [not found]                                             ` <E0570004-A309-4C7A-AB95-757DD1FF4733-l7gIAb2iU4jcM+WK4BI3xw@public.gmane.org>
From: Lloyd R. Prentice @ 2020-10-12 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

It would be interesting and maybe informative to see Pride and Prejudice and/or Alice in Wonderland rendered with different approaches along with details of how it was accomplished and time it took.

Best,

LRP

Sent from my iPad

@ 2020-10-12 19:17                                               ` Joseph Zitt
       [not found]                                                 ` <CAGG3uu1VqS+jHZ+cFA3Qcw=imteW=NjeX72o9zPq4SQWh6tZ1g-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Zitt @ 2020-10-12 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I like this idea. That could really illustrate the difference between
various options.

--

@ 2020-10-12 19:59                                                   ` Alan Tyree
       [not found]                                                     ` <CAGMsgMz0E+FcVqf45nX65NOS3DzvTEO_9D=sanapmToKEJVskQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Alan Tyree @ 2020-10-12 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I have used weasyprint to make ebooks. I would say that it is not quite as
complete as prince, but it is open source.

The only problem I have had with it is that the css "counter-reset: page;"
scheme does not work with weasyprint. It needs to be fixed so that
front-matter can be set up with small roman numerals, then reset to use
arabic numbers for the main text.

Except for that, it seems to have all the parts necessary for using the
HTML+CSS route for making good books. And, unlike prince, it is open source.

Cheers,
Alan

@ 2020-10-12 20:16                                                       ` Alan Tyree
From: Alan Tyree @ 2020-10-12 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Oops. I meant printed books.

@ 2020-10-13  7:18                                               ` krulis....-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
       [not found]                                                 ` <f32c7339-df00-4966-8165-4b5343dd4d9cn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: krulis....-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org @ 2020-10-13  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I second that idea.

I can put some hand in this at least for LaTeX, ConTeXt, with some grain of
salt also for `docx` and `odt`. If you dont have anyone better ;).

@ 2020-10-13 14:21                                                   ` Daniel Staal
       [not found]                                                     ` <1870f44b-fa50-345f-1cdf-1d8363fd0839-Jdbf3xiKgS8@public.gmane.org>
From: Daniel Staal @ 2020-10-13 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 10/12/20 3:17 PM, Joseph Zitt wrote:
> I like this idea. That could really illustrate the difference between
> various options.
>
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 10:14 PM Lloyd R. Prentice
> <lloyd-l7gIAb2iU4jcM+WK4BI3xw@public.gmane.org <mailto:lloyd-l7gIAb2iU4jcM+WK4BI3xw@public.gmane.org>> wrote:
>
>>     It would be interesting and maybe informative to see Pride and
>>     Prejudice and/or Alice in Wonderland rendered with different
>>     approaches along with details of how it was accomplished and time it
>>     took.

One though: if this is supposed to be a guide for new users, there
should probably be several 'end step's: One for a pure-pandoc solution
that can be implemented with no other dependency installs, one 'this is
gorgeous' solution with everything thrown in, and maybe one
middle-of-the-road with a couple of extra niceties, but still has no
more than one-two dependencies.

Then the guide can work through to each: Steps to get to the
pure-solution, then show how to expand that, and then show just what the
toolchain is fully capable of.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.

@ 2020-10-13 14:47                                                   ` Lloyd R. Prentice
From: Lloyd R. Prentice @ 2020-10-13 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi Tomas,

Your experience and skills are heartily welcome. I can’t vouch that my own experience generalizes, but for me LaTeX/PDF styling are a major hurdle.

My hope is that our book can provide indie publishers with sufficient conceptual understanding to create and implement professional-quality book designs. We need to do more than provide black-box recipes and say, “just do this.” We need to provide a framework that gives the publisher creative control over the many parameters of quality book design—both fiction and nonfiction.

It’s still not clear to me how to pull this off as a community project. But my assumption is that the design and technical skills are widely distributed across the community. Your LaTeX/ConTeXt experience could be an invaluable contribution.

I hope within a day or two to post a revision of the straw man outline I posted a week or so ago.  Among other things I’m striving to define more precisely intended readers and to provide a crisp definition of a “beautiful book.”

Many thanks,

LRP

Sent from my iPad

@ 2020-10-13 15:10                                                       ` Lloyd R. Prentice
       [not found]                                                         ` <F4454FC0-CE67-4F04-A4EF-CECE2B4BCC8F-l7gIAb2iU4jcM+WK4BI3xw@public.gmane.org>
From: Lloyd R. Prentice @ 2020-10-13 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi Daniel,

The reader I have in mind is striving to self-publish a book that meets the production standards of a jaded bookseller. Or, if an eBook, that displays flawlessly across the many display device in reader hands.

I like your idea of several end steps if, as I understand, you mean alternative technical solutions. This suggests that we may need a companion website or GitHub repository to enable the reader to see results for themselves. However we pull it off, we do need examples of good design to inspire the reader and would welcome your proposed examples.

Our challenge, however, is to get from here to there. As first cut I would see focusing on the default LaTeX and CSS templates and giving the reader step-by-step overview of each parameter—what it does and how to apply it to achieve a beautiful design of their own creation. How can we push the defaults to the limits?

Many thanks,

LRP

Sent from my iPad

@ 2020-10-14  8:01                                                           ` Gabriel Nützi
From: Gabriel Nützi @ 2020-10-14  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Just to send some maybe unimportant 5c in: Maybe as working startpoint
and test bench which is already a Pandoc-to-Latex/HTML workbench: See
https://github.com/gabyx/TechnicalMarkdown. Tried to structure this
project pretty clearly, and its pandoc only...

Would be cool to have a CSS Book setup there...

BR