* Capitalization of foreign titles
@ 2020-12-04 19:40 r.d.go...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
       [not found] ` <251182f4-aa0e-45cc-a859-6e2a78cc1696n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: r.d.go...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org @ 2020-12-04 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

When processing markdown with citations, in which the bibliographical
references contain foreign titles, the resulting bibliography is
capitalized in English title case. That is despite the fact that there is a
language field in the bibtex file. I have attached a short bibtex file.
When a markdown document is processed to Word, using the command:

pandoc -C --bibliography=references.bib --csl=chicago-author-date.csl -o
file.docx file.md

the resulting references look like this:

al-Kindı̄. 1997. Œuvres Philosophiques Et Scientifiques d’al-Kindı̄. Edited
by Roshdi Rashed. Vol. 1. Islamic Philosophy, Theology, and Science.
Leiden: Brill.

Bellosta, Hélèna. 2002. “Burning Instruments: From Diocles to Ibn Sahl.”
Arab. Sci. Philos. 12 (02): 285–303.

Rashed, Roshdi. 1993. Géométrie Et Dioptrique Au Xe Siècle: Ibn Sahl,
Al-qūhı̄ Et Ibn Al-Haytham. Paris: Les Belles Lettres.

———, ed. 2002. Les Catoptriciens Grecs: Les Miroirs Ardents. Paris: Les
Belles lettres.

As you see, the French titles have all been erroneously capitalized.

It doesn't seem to make any difference whether I specify a csl file or not.

[-- Attachment #2: references.bib --]
[-- Type: text/x-bibtex, Size: 1171 bytes --]

@BOOK{Al-Kindi1997-mi,
  title     = "{{\OE}uvres} philosophiques et scientifiques d'al-Kind{\=\i}",
  author    = "{al-Kind{\=\i}}",
  editor    = "Rashed, Roshdi",
  publisher = "Brill",
  volume    =  1,
  series    = "Islamic philosophy, theology, and science",
  year      =  1997,
  address   = "Leiden",
  keywords  = "Optics--Early works to 1800;Islamic philosophy--Early works to
               1800",
  language  = "fr"
}

@ARTICLE{Bellosta2002-dh,
  title   = "Burning Instruments: From Diocles to Ibn Sahl",
  author  = "Bellosta, H{\'e}l{\`e}na",
  journal = "Arab. Sci. Philos.",
  volume  =  12,
  number  =  02,
  pages   = "285--303",
  year    =  2002
}

@BOOK{Rashed1993-sv,
  title     = "G{\'e}om{\'e}trie et dioptrique au Xe si{\`e}cle: Ibn Sahl,
               al-Q{\=u}h{\=\i} et Ibn al-Haytham",
  author    = "Rashed, Roshdi",
  publisher = "Les Belles Lettres",
  year      =  1993,
  address   = "Paris",
  language  = "fr"
}

@BOOK{Rashed2002-xw,
  title     = "Les catoptriciens grecs: les miroirs ardents",
  editor    = "Rashed, Roshdi",
  publisher = "Les Belles lettres",
  year      =  2002,
  address   = "Paris",
  language  = "fr"
}

* Re: Capitalization of foreign titles
       [not found] ` <251182f4-aa0e-45cc-a859-6e2a78cc1696n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-12-04 20:39   ` Joseph Reagle
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2020-12-04 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 12/4/20 2:40 PM, r.d.go...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org wrote:
> As you see, the French titles have all been erroneously capitalized.

I've no experience with this, but this issue could arise in a number of places.

1. The bibliography file. However, your lang="fr" entries are sentence case as they should be. (BTW: It's probably a mistake to have @Bellosta2002-dh in title case should you use a style, such as APA, where even English titles are sentence case.)
2. The CSL file. I don't know how/if to specify language specific variants of casing in CSL, but...
3. The processor. Zotero apparently handles this correctly:

  https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/preventing_title_casing_for_non-english_titles

So perhaps it's not a CSL thing at all, just a processor issue, in which case pandoc is not doing the right thing.

@ 2020-12-04 22:48   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <m27dpxmblv.fsf-jF64zX8BO08an7k8zZ43ob9bIa4KchGshsV+eolpW18@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-12-04 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: r.d.go...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org, pandoc-discuss

It will work, I suspect, with langid instead of language.
That is the biblatex field name.

But note: biblatex docs say:

> langid field (identifier): The language id of the bibliography
> entry. The alias hyphenation is provided for backwards
> compatibility. The identifier must be a language name known to
> the babel/polyglossia packages.

fr is not a know polyglossia name.

So try this:  instead of

   language = {fr}

use

   langid = {french}

There is a "language" field too, but it isn't designed to affect
formatting of the bibliography.  It is for use when you want the
bibliography entry to indicate the lnaguage.
See
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/323441/how-does-langid-field-in-biblatex-differ-from-language-field
for more info.

@ 2020-12-11 19:09       ` r.d.go...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org