Yes, I intend the file with YAML to be pandoc markdown metadata. I have had --- and --- surrounding all the content, except some comments at the end (with # as the comment character) I replaced the final --- with ... and verified with pandoc 2.2.1 that the document produced is identical. However, I am unsure where to put "-f markdown". I tried putting it in various places. For example, if the first two lines of the YAML document are --- -f markdown Then, pandoc 2.9.2.1 gives this message "[WARNING] Could not parse YAML metadata at line 6 column 1: did not find expected " So instead, I tried using "-f markdown" on the command line. In this case, pandoc 2.9.2.1 gives this warning: [WARNING] Could not parse YAML metadata at line 953 column 1: Duplicate key in mapping: Scalar (Pos {posByteOffset = 16004, posCharOffset = 15999, posLine = 386, posColumn = 0}) (SUnknown Nothing "educationtitle") There are 951 lines in the file. In both of the two latter cases, it appears that none of the metadata is read; the tex document is written as if all variables were the empty string. I then tried removing most of the data from the YAML file and I find that pandoc 2.9.2.1, with "-f markdown" on the command line *does* make the expected substitutions using the small amount of data in the YAML file. I see at least two possibilities: 1) My big metadata file is not legal YAML, but was accepted by older versions of pandoc. 2) My big metadata file is legal YAML, but there is a bug in newer versions of pandoc. In any case, is the following true ? One can create a document from only a pandoc YAML metadata file and a custom template if one specifies "-f markdown" on the command line. On Friday, April 17, 2020 at 9:31:15 AM UTC-7, John MacFarlane wrote: > > > If the YAML is pandoc markdown metadata, between > > --- > > and > > ... > > you can just add -f markdown. > > John Lapeyre > writes: > > > With pandoc 2.2.1, the following would work > > > > pandoc --pdf-engine=xelatex mydocdata.yml -o outputdoc.tex > > --template=input.pandoc.tex > > > > > > Here input.pandoc.tex is a highly customized template. All the variables > to > > fill in are defined in mydocdata.yml > > > > With pandoc 2.9.2.1, I get the error > > > > [WARNING] Could not deduce format from file extension .yml > > Defaulting to markdown > > > > > > Apparently, yaml is not supported as an input format. Does anyone know a > > way to get the same effect with recent versions of pandoc ? > > > > > > -- > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google > Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send > an email to pandoc-...-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org . > > To view this discussion on the web visit > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/0540a74b-0bc7-46ce-bc0c-4fb0579a1e5a%40googlegroups.com. > > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/7a408d67-fe8d-4809-a5b0-a75824347b2f%40googlegroups.com.