* Converting from yaml no longer possible
@ 2020-04-17  3:04 John Lapeyre
       [not found] ` <0540a74b-0bc7-46ce-bc0c-4fb0579a1e5a-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: John Lapeyre @ 2020-04-17  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

With pandoc 2.2.1, the following would work

pandoc --pdf-engine=xelatex  mydocdata.yml -o outputdoc.tex
--template=input.pandoc.tex

Here input.pandoc.tex is a highly customized template. All the variables to
fill in are defined in mydocdata.yml

With pandoc 2.9.2.1, I get the error

 [WARNING] Could not deduce format from file extension .yml
   Defaulting to markdown

Apparently, yaml is not supported as an input format. Does anyone know a
way to get the same effect with recent versions of pandoc ?

* Re: Converting from yaml no longer possible
       [not found] ` <0540a74b-0bc7-46ce-bc0c-4fb0579a1e5a-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-04-17  3:21   ` Brandon Keith Biggs
       [not found]     ` <CAKAWQkUyr+j5-9ioeVeSd=yR0g2Kwz4oOpMmhX4cMKCz_7jq5Q-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Brandon Keith Biggs @ 2020-04-17  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

def getRefHypPair(content):
"""Return list of strings of REFs and HYPs from .dtl file"""
ref_hyp_pair = []
for i in content:
# the if statement skips the header row
if 'CONFUSION PAIRS' in i:
continue
#print(i[-1].strip())
if '==>' in i[-1]:
#This first split takes the pair only
i = i.split("->")[1]
# you don't need the [-1], i is a string now. (I took the -1 away)
# when you run it, you can remove ref_hyp_pair[0].lower() by doing the
.lower() here.
# you can remove the ==>
ref_hyp = i.strip().lower().split(" ==> ")
ref_hyp_pair.append(ref_hyp)
return ref_hyp_pair

Brandon Keith Biggs <http://brandonkeithbiggs.com/>

@ 2020-04-17  3:22       ` Brandon Keith Biggs
From: Brandon Keith Biggs @ 2020-04-17  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Sorry, sent to the wrong email.

Brandon Keith Biggs <http://brandonkeithbiggs.com/>

@ 2020-04-17 16:30   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <m2tv1icbwe.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-04-17 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Lapeyre, pandoc-discuss

If the YAML is pandoc markdown metadata, between

---

and

you can just add -f markdown.

@ 2020-04-17 17:35       ` John Lapeyre
       [not found]         ` <7a408d67-fe8d-4809-a5b0-a75824347b2f-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: John Lapeyre @ 2020-04-17 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Yes, I intend the file with YAML to be pandoc markdown metadata.  I have
had --- and --- surrounding all the content, except some comments at the
end (with # as the comment character)
I replaced the final --- with ... and verified with pandoc 2.2.1 that the
document produced is identical.

However, I am unsure where to put "-f markdown". I tried putting it in
various places. For example, if the first two lines of the YAML document are
---
-f markdown

Then, pandoc 2.9.2.1 gives this message "[WARNING] Could not parse YAML
metadata at line 6 column 1: did not find expected <document start>"

So instead, I tried using "-f markdown" on the command line. In this case,
pandoc 2.9.2.1 gives this warning:
[WARNING] Could not parse YAML metadata at line 953 column 1: Duplicate key
in mapping: Scalar (Pos {posByteOffset = 16004, posCharOffset = 15999,
posLine = 386, posColumn = 0}) (SUnknown Nothing "educationtitle")

There are 951 lines in the file.

In both of the two latter cases, it appears that none of the metadata is
read; the tex document is written as if all variables were the empty string.

I then tried removing most of the data from the YAML file and I find that
pandoc 2.9.2.1, with "-f markdown" on the command line  *does* make the
expected substitutions using the small amount of data in the YAML file. I
see at least two possibilities: 1) My big metadata file is not legal YAML,
but was accepted by older versions of pandoc. 2) My big metadata file is
legal YAML, but there is a bug in newer versions of pandoc.

In any case, is the following true ? One can create a document from only a
pandoc YAML metadata file and a custom template if one specifies "-f

@ 2020-04-17 17:50           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-04-17 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Lapeyre, pandoc-discuss

Put -f markdown on the command line.

@ 2020-04-17 17:52           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-04-17 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Lapeyre, pandoc-discuss

John Lapeyre <john.lapeyre-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> So instead, I tried using "-f markdown" on the command line. In this case,
> pandoc 2.9.2.1 gives this warning:
> [WARNING] Could not parse YAML metadata at line 953 column 1: Duplicate key
> in mapping: Scalar (Pos {posByteOffset = 16004, posCharOffset = 15999,
> posLine = 386, posColumn = 0}) (SUnknown Nothing "educationtitle")

Try looking at line 386 or thereabouts.  Do you have two keys
marked educationtitle?  That would be invalid YAML.  It could be
that the new YAML parser we're using is stricter.

@ 2020-04-17 18:18   ` John Lapeyre
From: John Lapeyre @ 2020-04-17 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss