Another idea I have is to just rely on `git clone...` for bare-bone features. For purists that don't want/need to install yet another dependencies and stacks, they can just copy and paste the one-liner to `git clone` it to the pandoc data-dir. For people don't mind installing one more thing, then they can use pandocpm to get more control (since pandocpm is designed to be agnostic to what language the filter is written, but just copy a single self-contained file to the data-dir). One thing I worried about use `git clone` though is that git is also an external dependency. On Linux it isn't a problem. On Mac, git is not shipped with macOS by default, but requires at least the Xcode command line tool. A quick search seems to suggest git is not available by default on Windows either. This situation is quite similar to how one should install the pandoc templates (pandocpm can help this too), except that it is optional to install these if the default embedded in pandoc is fine. On Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at 5:38:39 AM UTC-8, albert.k...-stqabkCVF6SGlKaCpJGLJw@public.gmane.org wrote: > > One possibility would be to pack all collected lua filters up into a > single luarock, and to use the luarocks module management system to deal > with downloads/updates. This would allow the definition of dependencies on > other lua packages while keeping things reasonably simple. The disadvantage > is that one of the main benefits of lua filters, namely independence from > other software, would be weakened. > > I believe collecting filters in a central place is a very good start, > either way. > > > On Tuesday, November 14, 2017 at 1:12:27 PM UTC+1, Kolen Cheung wrote: >> >> While pandocpm sort of work, there's still some major changes needed. The >> new lua filtering system in pandoc 2.0 certainly sparks my interest in >> completing this tool again. e.g. we had excuses to not have our own package >> manager because we can rely on those existed in the language we wrote it. >> But since pandoc embedded the lua interpreter, the only thing needed for a >> lua filter is really only the filter itself (so in this case relying on >> some sort of lua package manager doesn't make sense). Now there's still one >> imperfection though, that pandocpm is written in Python. Do you think it is >> possible to rewrite pandocpm in lua, using only the embedded lua >> interpreter alone? I haven't used lua at all, but I heard that in lua >> there's minimal "standard library" so I'm not sure how much functionality >> has been embedded. From some examples you and @jgm did, there's already IO. >> And then pandoc certainly handles YAML (but is there YAML library available >> in the embedded lua interpreter? That might make it easier.) And then >> pandocpm only need to access the DATADIR, and I imagine it could be done to >> let pandoc passes it to the script? >> > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To post to this group, send email to pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/7cf55037-9500-42c9-b446-706124f870c3%40googlegroups.com. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.