* Problem with specific variables for Reveal.js
@ 2020-11-18 11:36 Pranesh Prakash
       [not found] ` <7cfe8475-dffe-4526-a81f-916bfc77f687n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Pranesh Prakash @ 2020-11-18 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Dear all,
I'm having one very specific issue when using Pandoc to create Reveal.js
slide shows.  I believe the problem I see is with Reveal.js and not with
Pandoc.  However, since I haven't received any feedback after noting this
on the Reveal.js Github issues page, I thought I'd try my luck here.

***
https://github.com/hakimel/reveal.js/issues/2813

I am using pandoc (v2.11.0.2) to generate reveal.js (v4.0) slides. I've
[created a file] which contains all the variables with the default values
so that I can change them if needed.

The command I'm using is:
`pandoc -d slides -t revealjs -o slides.html 2020-09-12-presentation.md
--verbose`

However pandoc doesn't produce a working slide deck unless I comment out
three specific variables:

1.  `controlsLayout: bottom-right`
2.  `controlsBackArrows: faded`
3.  `display: block`

If I don't comment these three variables, then I just text saying "//
reveal.js plugins" in the HTML file.

Here's the [pandoc template] that reads the variables and uses it to
generate the slide deck.

The relevant lines:
https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/blob/2332a08f1e192de24f9ff425ed31f8dd20d1fa82/data/templates/default.revealjs#L94-L102

```
$if(controlsLayout)$
        // Determines where controls appear, "edges" or "bottom-right"
        controlsLayout: $controlsLayout$,
$endif$
$if(controlsBackArrows)$
        // Visibility rule for backwards navigation arrows; "faded",
"hidden"
        // or "visible"
        controlsBackArrows: $controlsBackArrows$,
$endif$
```

and
https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/blob/2332a08f1e192de24f9ff425ed31f8dd20d1fa82/data/templates/default.revealjs#L318-L321

```
$if(display)$
        // The display mode that will be used to show slides
        display: $display$,
$endif$
```

I'm not sure if it's an issue with pandoc or with reveal.js, but I suspect
it's a reveal.js issue since all three of these variable seem to occur
together in one function:

```
/**
* Called when the reveal.js config is updated.
*/
configure( config, oldConfig ) {

this.element.style.display = config.controls ? 'block' : 'none';

this.element.setAttribute( 'data-controls-layout', config.controlsLayout );
this.element.setAttribute( 'data-controls-back-arrows', config.
controlsBackArrows );
}
```

[created a file]:
https://gist.github.com/the-solipsist/6abfb6416e8f6cbdf5f193db212e4c47

[pandoc template]:
https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/blob/master/data/templates/default.revealjs

* Re: Problem with specific variables for Reveal.js
       [not found] ` <7cfe8475-dffe-4526-a81f-916bfc77f687n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-11-19 19:59   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-11-19 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pranesh Prakash, pandoc-discuss

Thanks. I think I've fixed this in a commit I just  pushed
to the default template.