* revealjs and themes not working
@ 2014-03-04 14:11 yfw
       [not found] ` <4ced263d-0643-4fd0-a0a6-0fc1698c952e-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: yfw @ 2014-03-04 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I'm trying to create slides with reveal.js via pandoc.
I can create working slides with

pandoc -t revealjs --self-contained presentation.md -o presentation.html

but when I add the -V switch to choose a theme like this

pandoc -t revealjs --self-contained -V theme=moon presentation.md -o
presentation.html

my browsers crash when opening the file.
Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks in advance!

* Re: revealjs and themes not working
       [not found] ` <4ced263d-0643-4fd0-a0a6-0fc1698c952e-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2014-03-04 14:44   ` Joseph Reagle
       [not found]     ` <5315E6BB.4030806-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2014-03-04 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 03/04/2014 09:11 AM, yfw wrote:
> my browsers crash when opening the file.

That sounds like a browser problem moreso than a pandoc one. However,
you might try:

* try passing the default theme explicitly?
* looking at the source, does it look like wellformed HTML?
* do the links to the javascript and themes work? (it might be a matter
of your paths?)

@ 2014-03-04 15:17       ` yfw
       [not found]         ` <acf0bb16-854a-460c-8863-affb1cd79f53-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: yfw @ 2014-03-04 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 3:44:11 PM UTC+1, Joseph wrote:

> On 03/04/2014 09:11 AM, yfw wrote:
> > my browsers crash when opening the file.
>
> That sounds like a browser problem moreso than a pandoc one. However,
> you might try:
>
> * try passing the default theme explicitly?
> * looking at the source, does it look like wellformed HTML?
> * do the links to the javascript and themes work? (it might be a matter
> of your paths?)

So I looked at the html file.
When created with --self-contained it looks not at all wellformed.
There is one long line of what looks like random characters where the css
is supposed to be(?)

Without --self-contained it works.
So I think I just do the styling in the html file at the end.
That's probably better anyway, because one can change much more than just
the theme variable.

Thanks!

@ 2014-03-05  5:48           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <20140305054818.GA18036-9Rnp8PDaXcZ2EAH53EmH34tHsfhOvSUSZkel5v8DVj8@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2014-03-05  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ yfw [Mar 04 14 07:17 ]:
>   On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 3:44:11 PM UTC+1, Joseph wrote:
>
>     On 03/04/2014 09:11 AM, yfw wrote:
>     > my browsers crash when opening the file.
>     That sounds like a browser problem moreso than a pandoc one.
>     However,
>     you might try:
>     * try passing the default theme explicitly?
>     * looking at the source, does it look like wellformed HTML?
>     * do the links to the javascript and themes work? (it might be a
>     matter
>     of your paths?)
>
>   So I looked at the html file.
>   When created with --self-contained it looks not at all wellformed.
>   There is one long line of what looks like random characters where the
>   css is supposed to be(?)

That's a data: url.  It's a way of encoding the contents of the CSS
file in a link.

@ 2014-03-05 13:06               ` yfw
       [not found]                 ` <a3c89b93-fb52-43bc-b9fe-1d821a0180d9-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: yfw @ 2014-03-05 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 6:48:18 AM UTC+1, John MacFarlane wrote:

> +++ yfw [Mar 04 14 07:17 ]:
> >   On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 3:44:11 PM UTC+1, Joseph wrote:
> >
> >     On 03/04/2014 09:11 AM, yfw wrote:
> >     > my browsers crash when opening the file.
> >     That sounds like a browser problem moreso than a pandoc one.
> >     However,
> >     you might try:
> >     * try passing the default theme explicitly?
> >     * looking at the source, does it look like wellformed HTML?
> >     * do the links to the javascript and themes work? (it might be a
> >     matter
> >     of your paths?)
> >
> >   So I looked at the html file.
> >   When created with --self-contained it looks not at all wellformed.
> >   There is one long line of what looks like random characters where the
> >   css is supposed to be(?)
>
> That's a data: url.  It's a way of encoding the contents of the CSS
> file in a link.

Ah OK, my bad. I didn't know that.
But the problem still remains: Chromium and Firefox crash when opening the
self-contained file.

So --self-contained and passing a theme with -V is somehow mutually
exclusive.

Anyway, I'll just not use --self-contained.

Regards,
yfw

@ 2014-03-05 14:02                   ` Joseph Reagle
       [not found]                     ` <53172E6C.50000-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2014-03-05 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 03/05/2014 08:06 AM, yfw wrote:
> So --self-contained and passing a theme with -V is somehow mutually
> exclusive.
>
> Anyway, I'll just not use --self-contained.

I suspect reveal.js is a little too complicated for --self-contained.
There are javascripts and style sheets, which import other scripts and
style sheets. There are also references to Webfonts. pandoc is amazing
in what it can chase and include, but reveal.js really expects to be on
the Web.

@ 2015-01-27 19:38                       ` Swidbert Ott
From: Swidbert Ott @ 2015-01-27 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

For what it's worth, just writing to say that I can replicate the problem:
using -V theme breaks the html file that is generated with --self-contained

* revealjs and themes not working
@ 2014-03-04 14:12 yfw
From: yfw @ 2014-03-04 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw