* Pandoc error 10 when compiling document and fetching from fonts.gstatic.com
@ 2023-06-09  8:41 Richard Morey
       [not found] ` <ec43be1c-e46d-4323-a70e-c97a90e670f0n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Richard Morey @ 2023-06-09  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I've posted this on StackOverflow here
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/76422082/pandoc-error-10-when-compiling-document-and-fetching-from-fonts-gstatic-com>
but have not gotten any interest in several days, so I'm posting here.

I'm having trouble consistently compiling a particular document with
rmarkdown::render. I cannot reproduce the issue reliably, unfortunately (it
happens roughly 1/3 of the time; consostent with it being a network error,
maybe?), but when it fails, I get the error:

pandoc document conversion failed with error 10

from rmarkdown. The "10" is the return code from the system command that
runs pandoc here
<https://github.com/rstudio/rmarkdown/blob/10863429024e236389a48f40ab1485620d53d311/R/pandoc.R#L107>
.

When I set pandoc to give debugging information with --verbose the
following lines are the last ones in stderr:
[INFO] Fetching
https://fonts.gstatic.com/s/opensans/v34/memvYaGs126MiZpBA-UvWbX2vVnXBbObj2OVTSKmu1aB.woff2...

[INFO] Fetching
https://fonts.gstatic.com/s/opensans/v34/memvYaGs126MiZpBA-UvWbX2vVnXBbObj2OVTSumu1aB.woff2...

[INFO] Fetching
https://fonts.gstatic.com/s/opensans/v34/memvYaGs126MiZpBA-UvWbX2vVnXBbObj2OVTSOmu1aB.woff2...

[INFO] Fetching
https://fonts.gstatic.com/s/opensans/v34/memvYaGs126MiZpBA-UvWbX2vVnXBbObj2OVTSymu1aB.woff2...

[INFO] Fetching
https://fonts.gstatic.com/s/opensans/v34/memvYaGs126MiZpBA-UvWbX2vVnXBbObj2OVTS2mu1aB.woff2...

[INFO] Fetching
https://fonts.gstatic.com/s/opensans/v34/memvYaGs126MiZpBA-UvWbX2vVnXBbObj2OVTSCmu1aB.woff2...

[INFO] Fetching
https://fonts.gstatic.com/s/opensans/v34/memvYaGs126MiZpBA-UvWbX2vVnXBbObj2OVTSGmu1aB.woff2...

Error : pandoc document conversion failed with error 10

The last line varies, but it always seems to be one of these fonts that is
the last thing pandoc reports before the error (there are 24 of these font
fetches in this particular document, as shown by the output in a successful
compile).

This leads me to believe that there is a problem in fetching one of these
fonts, but there's no output that says what the problem actually *is*, and
Error 10 does not seem to be a valid error code from pandoc: pandoc error
codes
<https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/blob/c9825761338f56209f69782da0087f9e27fa577b/src/Text/Pandoc/Error.hs#L154>
.

I'm sort of stuck debugging until I figure this out.

I also note there is a similar issue here: NYTimes and 538 Themes Give
Pandoc Error 10 <https://github.com/jthomasmock/gtExtras/issues/89> - as a
bonus, it even seems to be related to fonts.gstatic.com, but that out seems
to be more specific, including a [WARNING] that I don't see in mine.

In case they are helpful, I've put the logs of a failure and success and
the pandoc command that was run in a gist here: logs
<https://gist.github.com/richarddmorey/c88bdc16ddc37ac5ff4f34b68cfcdd70>

I'd appreciate any insights into what could cause this and how to fix it.

Best,
Richard

* Re: Pandoc error 10 when compiling document and fetching from fonts.gstatic.com
       [not found] ` <ec43be1c-e46d-4323-a70e-c97a90e670f0n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-06-09  9:19   ` Richard Morey
From: Richard Morey @ 2023-06-09  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

If my version of pandoc would be useful, it is:

% pandoc --version
pandoc 3.1.2
Features: +server +lua
Scripting engine: Lua 5.4
User data directory: /Users/saprm3/.local/share/pandoc
Copyright (C) 2006-2023 John MacFarlane. Web:  https://pandoc.org
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is no
warranty, not even for merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.

@ 2023-06-09 15:33   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <336872A1-2E6F-4BCB-801B-1230E2455ED3-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2023-06-09 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

That's rather strange because we don't emit error code 10:
https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#exit-codes
But it's a bit hard to diagnose these issues that involve external code. If you can reproduce the issue with pandoc by itself, that would be helpful.  Also it could be useful to know what pandoc version is being used.

@ 2023-06-09 15:34       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]         ` <1E0EA465-B672-4B97-87A1-A49D4CC9F568-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2023-06-09 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Oh, I see now that the gist provides the pandoc command and it's output, which is helpful.

@ 2023-06-09 15:41           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2023-06-09 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

It's possible that the wrapper that is running pandoc has a timeout or something that generates exit code 10 if pandoc takes too long? I think reporting this to rmarkdown makes sense.  IF they think the problem is in pandoc they can give more information.

@ 2023-06-09 17:25       ` BPJ
       [not found]         ` <CADAJKhANwvUw0HvAQwD5SuzsCys8VGPuvoAEL7rDhqmm5+7xfQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2023-06-09 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

It seems from the cited error message like it is rmarkdown (Rmarkdown)
which exits with code 10, so probably not a Pandoc issue at all.

@ 2023-06-10  8:48           ` Richard Morey
       [not found]             ` <d229eff4-6162-4a3b-9604-4361230cceabn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Richard Morey @ 2023-06-10  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

It is the output from an R system() call to pandoc, which returns the
pandoc error code. One thing I did check was that it wasn't a 1 with a 0
concatenated on the end through a missing \n or something silly like that.
It does seem to be a return code from pandoc, but I will check with
rmarkdown too. It is frustrating because I can't reliably reproduce it,
probably because it something network-related.

@ 2023-06-10 15:15               ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                 ` <DA9E594B-6FAB-4D65-BA2E-814EFCC889F7-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2023-06-10 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I've searched the code base and there's nowhere we return a 10 error code...

@ 2023-06-13 20:06                   ` Richard Morey
       [not found]                     ` <b009e279-b9b5-48bb-b44f-3f86686b91een-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Richard Morey @ 2023-06-13 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks, everyone, for your help. I've finally managed a (nearly) 100%
reproducible version that shows the mysterious "pandoc error 10" with
minimal code and posted an issue at rstudio/rmarkdown:
https://github.com/rstudio/rmarkdown/issues/2495

Best,
Richard

@ 2023-06-14 10:50                       ` Richard Morey