From: Joseph Reagle <joseph.2011-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
Subject: Re: Getting Citations in Wikipedia page to convert over to HTML, Docx, LaTeX.
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2020 09:53:23 -0400	[thread overview]

On 6/3/20 9:05 AM, John McCorkle wrote:
> Joseph, Thank you very much. I was not aware of the List-defined style in Wikimedia.

To see an example, I recently did some work on the Richard Stallman article. Given I usually edit Wikipedia in Sublime Text, I converted to List-defined style before editing. (I find it to impossible to substantively edit with all those verbose citations in the prose. Fortunately, I can also easily fold them.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Richard_Stallman&action=edit

> Is there a way to put the whole BibTex list at the end of my wikimedia source file and then reference those in the article text? Is that what you are suggesting?

You can't put bibtex in Wikitext, it wouldn't be understood. There are the occasional proposals to support something like that, but nothing has happened.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Wikicite/purpose#Bibtex_format

You'd have to convert the bibtex to `<ref NAME=foo><{{cite ...}}</ref>`.  There might be tools for that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Citation_tools

> I'm also thinking the HTML that I grab from my browser, looking at the wikipedia page, would also be cleaner and perhaps the HTML would convert to LaTex or docx better.

That might suffice, but the citations will be as text only. You couldn't easy change all their formatting from one style to another, for example. But perhaps that isn't needed.

> If you have never used Zotero, you might check it out. It is an absolutely fabulous tool. Great grabber and great database.

Zotero is great! However, I started work on my own bib manager scripts before Zotero and continue to use them. Originally, I grabbed URLs and stuck them in Freemind mindmaps, and then could output for use with OpenOffice and bibtex. Today, I grab DOIs, ISBNs, and URLs -- some with site-specific heuristics -- and manage them in Freeplane mindmaps. I can output to biblatex, pandoc-citeproc YAML, and Wikipedia ref/cite.

https://github.com/reagle/thunderdell