* Large Document
@ 2022-10-06 17:24 Craig Parker
       [not found] ` <6eb43189-eb50-416c-8f30-d2baf1dee459n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Craig Parker @ 2022-10-06 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I'm trying to document ALL of a piece of software's uses/features/etc. I
was wondering if there's a way to do each one individually, then merge them
in the end. I was hoping to just do one big doc, but really want section
title pages. I am running:

pandoc -s --template="templates/default.html" -f markdown-smart --toc -c
./style-landscape.css "$n.md" -o "./$n.html"
python3 -m weasyprint "./$n.html" "./$n.pdf"

on the individual markdown files, but then the page numbers don't match up
when I join them all together in the end. I'm not sure where to start
looking, so that H1 still behaves the way it does, but so that H2 also
creates kind of a title page, and the other headings get bumped down a peg
(so H3 acts like H2 does now, etc.)

I'm also not exactly crystal clear about how much of this is pandoc and how
much is Weasyprint...

* Re: Large Document
       [not found] ` <6eb43189-eb50-416c-8f30-d2baf1dee459n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-10-06 18:00   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <2CBF2CCD-5F52-4719-B899-5BD72D120D04-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-10-06 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

You can just put all of the markdown files (in order) on the command line, and pandoc will concatenate them before converting.

pandoc --toc part1.md part2.md part3.md -t html --pdf-engine=weasyprint -o wholething.pdf

> On Oct 6, 2022, at 10:24 AM, Craig Parker <craig.fossfolks-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> I'm trying to document ALL of a piece of software's uses/features/etc. I was wondering if there's a way to do each one individually, then merge them in the end. I was hoping to just do one big doc, but really want section title pages. I am running:
>
> pandoc -s --template="templates/default.html" -f markdown-smart --toc -c ./style-landscape.css "$n.md" -o "./$n.html"
> python3 -m weasyprint "./$n.html" "./$n.pdf"
>
> on the individual markdown files, but then the page numbers don't match up when I join them all together in the end. I'm not sure where to start looking, so that H1 still behaves the way it does, but so that H2 also creates kind of a title page, and the other headings get bumped down a peg (so H3 acts like H2 does now, etc.)
>
> I'm also not exactly crystal clear about how much of this is pandoc and how much is Weasyprint...
>
> --

* Re: Large Document
       [not found]     ` <2CBF2CCD-5F52-4719-B899-5BD72D120D04-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-11-11 15:52       ` Craig Parker
       [not found]         ` <4e3502ac-01bd-424f-9597-0e790f81f537n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Craig Parker @ 2022-11-11 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

The plot thickens... I want to be able to make just one md into a pdf, and
but also merge a bunch (two different scripts), but I'm having a problem
with the TOC. TOC.md looks like this:
```
---
title: Wicked Awesome Title Here
subtitle: A catchy subtitle...
author: Me
email:
date:
---
```
I can call it with pandoc --toc TOC.md file1.md -o file.html

This is fine if I want one big merged file, but if I want to just make a
single one, then I have to have another TOC file (TOC-file1.md, for
example).
Yesterday I discovered that if I knocked the subtitle line out and just put
that in file1.md:

```
subtitle: A catchy subtitle...
```

I could call the same table of contents whether I was making one single
section file, or one big merged one.
Today I found out that it doesn't work when I'm doing multiple files.

But wait... While I was typing this, it appears that as long as all of the
individual files have a heading that is seven lines long and includes the
subtitle, I can either make a single small file or a large merged one. Is
the expected behavior?  The header for doing this needs to be seven lines
long to work right?

On Thursday, October 6, 2022 at 2:00:52 PM UTC-4 fiddlosopher wrote:

> You can just put all of the markdown files (in order) on the command line,
> and pandoc will concatenate them before converting.
>
> pandoc --toc part1.md part2.md part3.md -t html --pdf-engine=weasyprint -o
> wholething.pdf
>
> > On Oct 6, 2022, at 10:24 AM, Craig Parker <craig.f...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to document ALL of a piece of software's uses/features/etc. I
> was wondering if there's a way to do each one individually, then merge them
> in the end. I was hoping to just do one big doc, but really want section
> title pages. I am running:
> >
> > pandoc -s --template="templates/default.html" -f markdown-smart --toc -c
> ./style-landscape.css "$n.md" -o "./$n.html"
> > python3 -m weasyprint "./$n.html" "./$n.pdf"
> >
> > on the individual markdown files, but then the page numbers don't match
> up when I join them all together in the end. I'm not sure where to start
> looking, so that H1 still behaves the way it does, but so that H2 also
> creates kind of a title page, and the other headings get bumped down a peg
> (so H3 acts like H2 does now, etc.)
> >
> > I'm also not exactly crystal clear about how much of this is pandoc and
> how much is Weasyprint...
> >
> > --
> an email to pandoc-discus...-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/6eb43189-eb50-416c-8f30-d2baf1dee459n%40googlegroups.com
> .

* Re: Large Document
       [not found]         ` <4e3502ac-01bd-424f-9597-0e790f81f537n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-11-11 22:37           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <C62D6A20-D362-4B4D-97C0-B5DC08CFA65B-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-11-11 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

You can have multiple metadata sections in the same pandoc markdown document, so if you just repeat the metadata, it will still work in the “combined” form.
Nothing is sensitive to being seven lines long — you must be mistaken there, or it’s something else.

> On Nov 11, 2022, at 7:52 AM, Craig Parker <craig.fossfolks-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> The plot thickens... I want to be able to make just one md into a pdf, and but also merge a bunch (two different scripts), but I'm having a problem with the TOC. TOC.md looks like this:
> ```
> ---
> title: Wicked Awesome Title Here
> subtitle: A catchy subtitle...
> author: Me
> email:
> date:
> ---
> ```
> I can call it with pandoc --toc TOC.md file1.md -o file.html
>
> This is fine if I want one big merged file, but if I want to just make a single one, then I have to have another TOC file (TOC-file1.md, for example).
> Yesterday I discovered that if I knocked the subtitle line out and just put that in file1.md:
>
> ```
> subtitle: A catchy subtitle...
> ```
>
> I could call the same table of contents whether I was making one single section file, or one big merged one.
> Today I found out that it doesn't work when I'm doing multiple files.
>
> But wait... While I was typing this, it appears that as long as all of the individual files have a heading that is seven lines long and includes the subtitle, I can either make a single small file or a large merged one. Is the expected behavior?  The header for doing this needs to be seven lines long to work right?
>
> On Thursday, October 6, 2022 at 2:00:52 PM UTC-4 fiddlosopher wrote:
> You can just put all of the markdown files (in order) on the command line, and pandoc will concatenate them before converting.
>
> pandoc --toc part1.md part2.md part3.md -t html --pdf-engine=weasyprint -o wholething.pdf
>
> > On Oct 6, 2022, at 10:24 AM, Craig Parker <craig.f...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to document ALL of a piece of software's uses/features/etc. I was wondering if there's a way to do each one individually, then merge them in the end. I was hoping to just do one big doc, but really want section title pages. I am running:
> >
> > pandoc -s --template="templates/default.html" -f markdown-smart --toc -c ./style-landscape.css "$n.md" -o "./$n.html"
> > python3 -m weasyprint "./$n.html" "./$n.pdf"
> >
> > on the individual markdown files, but then the page numbers don't match up when I join them all together in the end. I'm not sure where to start looking, so that H1 still behaves the way it does, but so that H2 also creates kind of a title page, and the other headings get bumped down a peg (so H3 acts like H2 does now, etc.)
> >
> > I'm also not exactly crystal clear about how much of this is pandoc and how much is Weasyprint...
> >
> > --

* Re: Large Document
       [not found]             ` <C62D6A20-D362-4B4D-97C0-B5DC08CFA65B-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-11-11 22:41               ` Craig Parker