* Convention to follow to write frontmatter, body & backmatter of a book in markdown
@ 2021-09-27 15:09 Ashok Koyi
       [not found] ` <85786528-2797-49ee-9643-c131a60ec523n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Ashok Koyi @ 2021-09-27 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I am writing a book in markdown & use pandoc to convert the book to pdf &
epub

Is there a way to specify in the markdown document that a given section (`#
Preface`/`# Dedication`) belongs to `frontmatter` & `# Appendix` belongs to
the `backmatter`?

Please note that I want to write `frontmatter`, `backmatter` & `mainmatter`
all in markdown

PS: In the documentation, I see an option for epub
<https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#the-epubtype-attribute>, but not for pdf

(I have already posted this question in tex stackexchage forum
<https://tex.stackexchange.com/q/616905/195215>)

* Re: Convention to follow to write frontmatter, body & backmatter of a book in markdown
       [not found] ` <85786528-2797-49ee-9643-c131a60ec523n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-10-13 13:23   ` Ashok Koyi
       [not found]     ` <08c9532e-5688-4beb-aefd-e99999569d0cn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Ashok Koyi @ 2021-10-13 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

This looks like a pretty common requirement. Did anyone try this?

@ 2021-10-13 13:37       ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2021-10-13 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Have you tried inserting \frontmatter, \mainmatter and \backmatter in the right places in your markdown document?

Le Wednesday 13 October 2021 à 06:23:19AM, Ashok Koyi a écrit :
> This looks like a pretty common requirement. Did anyone try this?
>
> On Monday, September 27, 2021 at 8:39:20 PM UTC+5:30 Ashok Koyi wrote:
>
>     I am writing a book in markdown & use pandoc to convert the book to pdf &
>     epub
>
>     Is there a way to specify in the markdown document that a given section (`#
>     Preface`/`# Dedication`) belongs to `frontmatter` & `# Appendix` belongs to
>     the `backmatter`?
>
>     Please note that I want to write `frontmatter`, `backmatter` & `mainmatter`
>     all in markdown
>
>     PS: In the documentation, I see an option for [1]epub, but not for pdf
>
>     (I have already posted this question in [2]tex stackexchage forum)
>
> --
> pandoc-discuss/08c9532e-5688-4beb-aefd-e99999569d0cn%40googlegroups.com.

> [1] https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#the-epubtype-attribute
> [2] https://tex.stackexchange.com/q/616905/195215
> [4] https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/08c9532e-5688-4beb-aefd-e99999569d0cn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer

* AW: Convention to follow to write frontmatter, body & backmatter of a book in markdown
@ 2021-10-14  8:10         ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2021-10-14  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Just to explain:
literal latex should be passed through when exporting to latex. OTOH, when exporting to most other formats that should be ignored: https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#raw-html
See also https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#extension-raw_attribute

If you need frontmatter etc. also in other formats using a filter might be more appropriate.

Denis