* How to convert nested tables? | longtable vs tabular
@ 2022-07-19 20:32 Richard Huntsinger
       [not found] ` <a477931c-2479-47f4-9cf7-d5880a429a38n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Richard Huntsinger @ 2022-07-19 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I’ve successfully converted Jupyter HTML-format simple tables to
LaTex-format tables using pandoc.read(raw.text, ‘html’).blocks in a lua
filter.  The resulting LaTex is \begin(longtable} …  That’s okay for simple
tables, but longtable does not support nested tables, which I do need.

How to convert to LaTex tabular tables (which supports nested tables)
rather than to longtable tables (which does not)?  Or is there some other
solution to converting nested tables?

* Re: How to convert nested tables? | longtable vs tabular
       [not found] ` <a477931c-2479-47f4-9cf7-d5880a429a38n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-07-19 21:01   ` Richard Huntsinger
From: Richard Huntsinger @ 2022-07-19 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I found a filter on an old thread that attempts to produce tabular tables
rather than longtable tables, but as noted in the thread it does seem to
work for all of us:
https://groups.google.com/g/pandoc-discuss/c/RUC-tuu_qf0/m/h-H3RRVt1coJ

Perhaps someone can provide a new working lua filter to produce tabular
tables?  MUCH appreciated.

@ 2022-07-20 21:36   ` BPJ
       [not found]     ` <CADAJKhDM2Q0S_fSQx3kpFg0kv4r2gYqR-rSHEE=CWhry37jM-A-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2022-07-20 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Last time I looked Pandoc's AST couldn't represent nested tables anyway.

@ 2022-07-21  8:33       ` William Lupton
       [not found]         ` <CAEe_xxh5=xr8=N2BunXCihUHBFbsXUVaPQF4qwuLjq8jLqNsLg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: William Lupton @ 2022-07-21  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

> Last time I looked Pandoc's AST couldn't represent nested tables anyway.

Surely a table cell <https://pandoc.org/lua-filters.html#type-cell>'s
contents is a list of blocks (which can include tables). What about this
markdown example (butchered from two of the examples in the manual)?

+---------------+---------------+--------------------+
| Fruit         | Price         | Advantages         |
+===============+===============+====================+
| Bananas       | $1.34         | - built-in wrapper |
|               |               | - bright color     |
+---------------+---------------+--------------------+
| Oranges       | $2.10         | - cures scurvy     |
|               |               | - tasty            |
+---------------+---------------+--------------------+
| Apple (pi)    | $3.14         | | One | Two   |    |
|               |               | |-----+-------|    |
|               |               | | my  | table |    |
|               |               | | is  | nice  |    |
+---------------+---------------+--------------------+

[image: Screenshot 2022-07-20 at 23.36.36.png]

On Wed, 20 Jul 2022 at 22:37, BPJ <bpj-J3H7GcXPSITLoDKTGw+V6w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Den tis 19 juli 2022 22:33Richard Huntsinger <rhuntsinger-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>
> skrev:
>
>> I’ve successfully converted Jupyter HTML-format simple tables to
>> LaTex-format tables using pandoc.read(raw.text, ‘html’).blocks in a lua
>> filter.  The resulting LaTex is \begin(longtable} …  That’s okay for simple
>> tables, but longtable does not support nested tables, which I do need.
>>
>> How to convert to LaTex tabular tables (which supports nested tables)
>> rather than to longtable tables (which does not)?  Or is there some other
>> solution to converting nested tables?
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/a477931c-2479-47f4-9cf7-d5880a429a38n%40googlegroups.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/a477931c-2479-47f4-9cf7-d5880a429a38n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .
>>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/CADAJKhDM2Q0S_fSQx3kpFg0kv4r2gYqR-rSHEE%3DCWhry37jM-A%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/CADAJKhDM2Q0S_fSQx3kpFg0kv4r2gYqR-rSHEE%3DCWhry37jM-A%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

[-- Attachment #2: Screenshot 2022-07-20 at 23.36.36.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 83221 bytes --]

@ 2022-07-21 20:38           ` Richard Huntsinger
From: Richard Huntsinger @ 2022-07-21 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I've come to better solution for getting Jupyter-displayable tables to
LaTex. Use kable to create an HTML representation and use kable again to
create a LaTex representation. Build a “mimebundle” list with these two
representations as elements. Use IRdisplay’s publish_mimebundle function to
display. The HTML representation will be rendered when running Jupyter; the
LaTex representation will be copied as-is by pandoc when converting from
Jupyter-format to LaTeX-format.

x = data.frame(a=c(1,2,3), b=c(10,20,30), c=c(100,200,300))
x.html = kable(x, format=“html”, escape=FALSE, align=rep(“r”, ncol(x)),
caption=“This is from HTML”, row.names=FALSE,
table.attr=“style="white-space: nowrap;"”)
x.latex = kable_styling(latex_options=c(“hold_position”),
kable(x, format=“latex”, escape=FALSE, align=rep(“r”, ncol(x)),
caption=“This is from LaTex”, row.names=FALSE))
mbx = list(data=list(“text/html”=as.character(x.html),
“text/latex”=as.character(x.latex)), metadata=NULL)
publish_mimebundle(mbx$data, mbx$metadata)

@ 2022-07-21 20:47           ` Richard Huntsinger
From: Richard Huntsinger @ 2022-07-21 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss