* Conversition TWiki > Markdown doesnt parse italics correctly
@ 2022-06-08 11:58 'Léna Montenot' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found] ` <d525341c-9366-436b-bcf1-783e753da718n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: 'Léna Montenot' via pandoc-discuss @ 2022-06-08 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello,

I want to use Pandoc to export some wiki articles towards a new platforms.
However, whenever I'm converting a TWiki file to Markdown, while the bold
sections are parsed correctly, the italics are being replaced from '' to
\'\' which is not ideal to automate the process.

Is there any fix available ? Thank you :)

* Re: Conversition TWiki > Markdown doesnt parse italics correctly
       [not found] ` <d525341c-9366-436b-bcf1-783e753da718n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-06-08 12:37   ` BPJ
       [not found]     ` <CADAJKhCJRtNBGPZPf_b+CLEDg5r84g0-qJFu++McbRpm04LSTw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2022-06-08 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Do you mean TWiki or MediaWiki?
If I am not mistaken the TWiki syntax for italics is _italic_ while
''italic'' (with double single quotes) is MediaWiki syntax.

Using the proper input format for each syntax gives the expected results:

% pandoc -f twiki -t native
_italic_
[ Para [ Emph [ Str "italic" ] ] ]

% pandoc -f mediawiki -t native
''italic''
[ Para [ Emph [ Str "italic" ] ] ]

While mismatched input format—syntax does not work, which is also expected:

% pandoc -f twiki -t native
''italic'"
[ Para [ Str "''italic'\"" ] ]

% pandoc -f mediawiki -t native
_italic_
[ Para [ Str "_italic_" ] ]

It seems your wiki files are mediawiki instead of twiki, in which case you
should specify mediawiki as input format. In case you have a mixture of
both the presence of double and triple single quotes is a pretty sure
indicator that you have a mediawiki file.

@ 2022-06-08 13:20       ` 'Léna Montenot' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]         ` <93c42bf9-fdbd-42e8-a64b-5365044c369cn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: 'Léna Montenot' via pandoc-discuss @ 2022-06-08 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello !

Unfortunaly, using the following command :

pandoc -f mediawiki -t markdown -o file_output.md file_input

It parses some of the italic, but most are still parsed and now the bold is
also wrong too :/

@ 2022-06-08 18:03           ` BPJ
       [not found]             ` <CADAJKhD9DVHm4AMCZiJ_emnFevp7=5BX_L8d_J=G1QDHYttvXA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2022-06-08 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Which pandoc version are you using, and which syntax are you using for bold?

Den ons 8 juni 2022 15:21'Léna Montenot' via pandoc-discuss <

@ 2022-06-09  8:53               ` 'Léna Montenot' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]                 ` <4e222f31-8ecc-42cf-b23d-4fef81500acfn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: 'Léna Montenot' via pandoc-discuss @ 2022-06-09  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I'm using Pandoc 2.5, and in the original file, the bold syntax is double
underscores (__ bold text __)

@ 2022-06-09 16:59                   ` BPJ
       [not found]                     ` <CADAJKhDjL6pzGbK44vmO8iMuvqLcd6tjJQPAuRri1ZOG0v==dg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2022-06-09 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

That's quite an old version of Pandoc. You might want to upgrade.

Are you really sure about the syntax/format of your input files? As far as
I know Twiki uses `*bold*` and `_italic_` (and mediawiki uses `'''bold'''`
and `''italic''`). Your files seem to be in some other syntax.

Den tors 9 juni 2022 10:54'Léna Montenot' via pandoc-discuss <

@ 2022-06-10  7:07                       ` 'Léna Montenot' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]                         ` <97bf728d-62c3-4ac8-a7f3-16371dff00c1n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: 'Léna Montenot' via pandoc-discuss @ 2022-06-10  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I think it's more Tikiwiki format actually !

@ 2022-06-10  7:16                           ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]                             ` <87bkv1yoke.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2022-06-10  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

'Léna Montenot' via pandoc-discuss <pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org> writes:

> I think it's more Tikiwiki format actually !

Can you link to a page that describes your wiki format? We might be able
to modify pandoc to get it supported.

--
Albert Krewinkel

@ 2022-06-10  7:44                               ` 'Léna Montenot' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]                                 ` <305c5dba-e891-4fb6-842f-15414c6187d4n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: 'Léna Montenot' via pandoc-discuss @ 2022-06-10  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Here it is : https://doc.tiki.org/Wiki-Syntax
also, while trying to install with apt install, it doesn't install the 2.18
package, but the 2.5 :/

@ 2022-06-10  7:59                                   ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]                                     ` <90453a09-44ae-4d6f-ac04-036d0e2a9d94n@googlegroups.com>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2022-06-10  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

'Léna Montenot' via pandoc-discuss <pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Here it is : https://doc.tiki.org/Wiki-Syntax

Thanks! I think I see what's going on: could it be that your command
uses `--from=twiki` instead of `--from=tikiwiki`?

> also, while trying to install with apt install, it doesn't install the
> 2.18 package, but the 2.5 :/

You can download the latest version at
https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/releases/latest. See
https://pandoc.org/installing.html for more info.

--
Albert Krewinkel

* Re: Message privé sur le sujet suivant : Conversition TWiki > Markdown doesnt parse italics correctly
       [not found]                                       ` <90453a09-44ae-4d6f-ac04-036d0e2a9d94n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-06-10  9:29                                         ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]                                           ` <8735gczwpy.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2022-06-10  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss; +Cc: Léna Montenot

Léna Montenot <lena.montenot-Vsva30nNcww0NahUy/aNDA@public.gmane.org> writes:

> that works a bit better, although now, although the underlining is not
> automatic, but definitly a step forward, ty !

You are right, that's weird. I've pushed a change to add support for
undelined text. You can try the next nightly build when it becomes
available in about 22h:
https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/actions/workflows/nightly.yml

--

@ 2022-06-10  9:38                                             ` 'Léna Montenot' via pandoc-discuss