I think the more obvious problem is that LaTeX doesn't handle UTF-8 well. If UTF-8 is properly supported then you don't need escape characters at all, you can just type the æ. These examples would work fine in both html and XeTeX/XeLaTeX: echo "... ærobic" | pandoc -s -f markdown -t html -o test.html echo "... ærobic" | pandoc -s -f markdown -t latex -o test.tex You can see for yourself with: echo "... ærobic" | pandoc -s -f markdown --latex-engine=xelatex -o test.pdf Indeed, for me, Pandoc's default tex template outputs the unicode characters correctly, but this could be because my environment is set up to use XeLaTeX. Hope that clarifies a bit? On Monday, 21 September 2015 11:57:37 UTC+1, Chris Wright wrote: > > I want to publish a document with an \ae ligature to html and to pdf. The > latex form "\ae robic" converts to the appropriate form and displays > properly in pdf, but the html just drops the ligature. > > > Simple test case: > > > chriswri$ cat > test.txt > > \ae robic > > chriswri$ more test.txt > > \ae robic > > chriswri$ pandoc -t native test.txt > > [Para [RawInline (Format "tex") "\\ae ",Str "robic"]] > > chriswri$ pandoc -t html test.txt > >

robic