* How can I use figure placement specifiers with Markdown, e.g. [p] for special place?
@ 2022-07-24 13:57 'Krisztián Hofstädter' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found] ` <b4e6a305-f42f-4de3-8acc-4cebf83ed9ebn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: 'Krisztián Hofstädter' via pandoc-discuss @ 2022-07-24 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello!

How can I use figure placement specifiers with Markdown, e.g. [p] for
special place?

When converting from Markdown to PDF the figure with the code below is
rendered properly, however it is missing when converting to Word (docx).

\begin{figure}[p]
\includegraphics[width=\linewidth]{../assets/img/nf-rewards-2-alert.png}
\caption{An alert protocol's electrode location (left)...}
\label{fig:nf-alert}
\end{figure}

This works:

![An alert protocol's electrode location (left)
....](../assets/img/nf-rewards-2-alert.png){#fig:nf-alert}

But I'd like to keep the [p] in for when I make PDFs.

The terminal says this:

Undefined cross-reference: fig:nf-alert

Thanks!

* Re: How can I use figure placement specifiers with Markdown, e.g. [p] for special place?
       [not found] ` <b4e6a305-f42f-4de3-8acc-4cebf83ed9ebn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-07-24 14:20   ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]     ` <87czdud1v5.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2022-07-24 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

'Krisztián Hofstädter' via pandoc-discuss <pandoc-discuss@googlegroups.com> writes:

> How can I use figure placement specifiers with Markdown, e.g. [p] for
> special place?
>
> When converting from Markdown to PDF the figure with the code below is
> rendered properly, however it is missing when converting to Word
> (docx).

The easiest way is probably to use the LaTeX code in combination with a
Lua filter that parses the LaTeX when converting to a different output
format:

``` lua
if FORMAT:match 'latex' then return {} end

function RawBlock (raw)
  if raw.format:match 'tex' then
    return pandoc.read(raw.text, 'latex').blocks
  end
end
```

Save the above to a file `parse-latex.lua` and pass it to pandoc via
`--lua-filter=parse-latex.lua`.

--
Albert Krewinkel

@ 2022-07-24 15:17       ` 'Krisztián Hofstädter' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]         ` <0a6a41d3-fb62-43e9-a85e-edb09e53dc79n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: 'Krisztián Hofstädter' via pandoc-discuss @ 2022-07-24 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks Albert,

You recommendations added the figure, but the cross referencing didn't come
through:

1. there is no figure number before the figure's caption
2. there is no reference in the text to the figure either, only : "(Fig.
*¿fig:nf-alert?*)"

As the Terminal still says:

Undefined cross-reference: fig:nf-alert

, this has probably something to do with using pandoc-crossref.

This is my line of code for making the file:

% pandoc -F pandoc-crossref myOutput.md -o myOutput.docx
--resource-path=../assets/img/ --citeproc --number-sections
--lua-filter=parse-latex.lua

Thanks!

// I can live with changing the the figure's Latex code to Markdown when I
export to Word (it does not happen that often)

@ 2022-07-24 16:13           ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]             ` <878roicwo8.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2022-07-24 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

'Krisztián Hofstädter' writes:

> You recommendations added the figure, but the cross referencing didn't
> come through:
> 1. there is no figure number before the figure's caption
>
> 2. there is no reference in the text to the figure either

The Lua filter should run before pandoc-crossref runs; the order in
which filters are run is the order in which they are given on the
command line. Try this:

--
Albert Krewinkel

@ 2022-07-25  9:50               ` 'Krisztián Hofstädter' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]                 ` <1d05b65b-70c3-41f4-b4be-b1578db89f55n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: 'Krisztián Hofstädter' via pandoc-discuss @ 2022-07-25  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Brilliant! Thanks Albert :-)

Now that I'm on it, .... how could I also convert the Contents, List of
Figures and Tables when making the docx file?

(When converting to PDF they are all there.)

I use these lines to add them to the pages:

```
\setcounter{tocdepth}{5}
\tableofcontents
\listoffigures
\listoftables
```

And I think the only relevant lines in the front matter (YAML) are:

```
header-includes:
- \usepackage[nottoc]{tocbibind} # adding lof/lot to toc
documentclass: report
sectionsDepth: 4
link-citations: true
linkReferences: true
nameInLink: true
```

thanks! k

@ 2022-07-25 10:39                   ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]                     ` <874jz5cvqx.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2022-07-25 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

'Krisztián Hofstädter' via pandoc-discuss <pandoc-discuss@googlegroups.com> writes:

> Brilliant! Thanks Albert :-)

You're welcome, happy it works 😊

> Now that I'm on it, .... how could I also convert the Contents, List of
> Figures and Tables when making the docx file?
> (When converting to PDF they are all there.)

The Lua filter is a bit too eager and also parses LaTeX blocks that
should be consumed by pandoc-crossref. Try to modify it like this:

```
if raw.format:match 'tex' and not raw.text:match '\\listof' then
  return pandoc.read(raw.text, 'latex').blocks
end
```

or, more conservatively

```
if raw.format:match 'tex' and raw.text:match '\\begin%{figure%}' then

@ 2022-07-26  9:55                       ` 'Krisztián Hofstädter' via pandoc-discuss
From: 'Krisztián Hofstädter' via pandoc-discuss @ 2022-07-26  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss